• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

2011-2012 Norris nominees

Rate this topic

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=629702

The responsibilities a defenseman faces are numerous. He has to be strong in his own end to prevent goals, make smooth passes out of the defensive zone and chip in offensively by getting pucks to the net. The best blueliners also have to be able to play large amounts of ice time in all situations.

Three defensemen met those responsibilities better than any other during the 2011-12 season, and because of that Zdeno Chara of the Boston Bruins, Erik Karlsson of the Ottawa Senators and Shea Weber of the Nashville Predators have been named as finalists for the Norris Trophy, awarded "to the defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position."

Read rest of story for more...

My vote goes for Karlsson, his offensive numbers are great, but he played big minutes, great at winning battles in his own end, and really played a pivotal role for his team in every area of the game.

My vote goes for Karlsson, his offensive numbers are great, but he played big minutes, great at winning battles in his own end, and really played a pivotal role for his team in every area of the game.

Except penalty killing.

Karlsson had an amazing season and looks like a promising young defensemen.

But he was 7th among defensemen on his team in terms of PK minutes with 33 seconds SHTOI/G (5th on his team in the postseason with :51 SHTOI/G). That's not to say he isn't good on the PK, he just didn't perform that function.

For me it's less about Karlsson specifically and more about keeping with the spirit of the award, which is for showing best all-round abilities over the course of a season. Karlsson's role wasn't well rounded. And while he put up huge numbers for a D-man, they weren't Coffey-like levels that are worth exempting the other roles (thought Coffey actually did perform those functions he just wasn't known for them).

I'm still pissed at Weber for the head slam but he's a more worthy candidate to me. I don't want the Norris to go the way of the Selke and have it become another award that's mostly about points.

Here's my prediction: Lidstrom returns next season and wins Norris number 8 after everyone thinks he is through :D

This year its a toss up. For my money, Weber does what Chara does a little better or equally well with less size advantage. Karlsson is great, and SHOULD be great for a long while, but as of now is all offense. It will be interesting to see how he progresses in the coming years, considering Mike Green was lighting it up offensively enough to get Norris nomination a few seasons ago but has since been hampered by injury and suck.

I'll bet $2,500 that Weber wins it this year :ph34r: