• Please log in to reply
269 replies to this topic

#221 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

Can't believe Sweden lost. Zetterberg was so beast.

Holy crap, it's crazy all the upsets today. This is almost like the NHL playoffs where all the powerhouses exit early. At least our guys won't get hurt now, just gotta worry about Pavs and Flip.

Don't forget Tatar's still in :thumbup:

#222 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

Don't forget Tatar's still in :thumbup:

True dat. He's not a regular (yet) so I overlooked him. It wouldn't be as detrimental if he was injured, but that wouldn't be good either way you look at it.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling, $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening, Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: Glendening.  MOTB TOTAL: $0

#223 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

Wow what a frustrating game for us Swedes. So many mistakes in the defensive zone, zero powerplays, still fight back to 3-3.. only to lose with 30 seconds left.

Per Mårts coaching was awful. Niklas Persson was involved in the winning goal, which says it all. Why is a 4th liner even out there when there's 30 seconds left of the game??

Zetterberg deserved better. He wasf****** sick.

Well, now I'll root for the Finns. Great win for them against the US, with Filppula being almost the same beast for them as Z for Sweden.

#224 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

It's crazy how the three upsets today came in the waning minutes of regulation, with US and SWE both losing in the final minute. Canadian, American, and Swedish heartbreak today for sure.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling, $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening, Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: Glendening.  MOTB TOTAL: $0

#225 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

Wow what a frustrating game for us Swedes. So many mistakes in the defensive zone, zero powerplays, still fight back to 3-3.. only to lose with 30 seconds left.

substract Kronwall and Karlsson and the defense was horrible or average at best. Hjalmarsson was brutal, and Hedman... epithome of failure...
I mean... even Ericsson looked decent compared to those guys. he actually was really decent.

Per Mårts coaching was awful. Niklas Persson was involved in the winning goal, which says it all. Why is a 4th liner even out there when there's 30 seconds left of the game??

Persson isn't that bad player. and he was among those who at least were skating. compare this to Backstrom who was basically waiting for a pass to shot,
and even when it came that far he couldn't capitalize on what was a 99% chance...

overall, there were periods in the game when Swedish team looked uninspired and totally lacking willingness to fight for pucks. Wings players dug them from the hole
and it looked good for a moment, but Marts insistence on playing Backstrom and Hjalmarsson was really bad.

Fasth was brutal on this last goal. really bad positioning and lack of confidence to challenge the shooter. he is not that bad goalie, but this was his goal, in a very bad moment.

truth being said, Czechs played very solid D, and if there was ever a game Swedish team could use Franzen it was exactly this one.

finally, it's hard to say that the refs were good. they let Czechs get away with a lot of crap...

Well, now I'll root for the Finns. Great win for them against the US, with Filppula being almost the same beast for them as Z for Sweden.

you sure bet Suomi would never ever root for Ruotsi, so why bother? ;) but to be honest... after Slovakia Finland is the only team that I'd be fine with winning
this tournament. I'm sick of Czechs and Russians and their *loads of dirty plays. Sweden was at least entertaining to watch.

Edited by akustyk, 17 May 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#226 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

Guess teams with NHL players aren't necessarily the best.

#227 Cevari

Cevari

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

Anybody thinking that International hockey is looking more like NHL on bigger ice, lots more after whistle stuff, before International hockey was pretty clean.

Noticed this too, and more physical play in general. Might be related to how the big NHL names seem a lot more willing to travel to these tournaments now than before, for some reason the players care more for the WC now than some years ago. It's nice to see, even if the WC will never be a truly comprehensive tournament because of the NHL season conflicts.

#228 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

US, Sweden, and Canada out of it...
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#229 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

I just watched the replay of the Canada Slovakia game on TSN2, Tatar played great and the TSN annoucers kept talking about how good he was all game long. Showed a lot of speed, made some nice defensive plays, created some offense and was even physical going to the net, going at it with Jeff Skinner a couple of times (even ran him over once) and had Tavares lined up for a huge hit at center ice when Tavares saw him at the last second and threw himself on the ice to avoid most of the hit.
Tatar looked good playing against NHL players and seems ready to be in the NHL not only to play but to be productive. I hope the Wings brass watched that game and give him a chance next season. The Sauce was arguably the best player on the ice, the Slovaks owned the puck whenever he was on the ice and he was the catalyst. He was also one of the best players in the first game against Canada, I am especially impressed with how well he played defensively and the grit and determination he displayed

#230 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:19 AM

Is that allowed for people from Sweden?

And besides the controversial game not too long ago, why not Russia?

#231 Jocke

Jocke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

Is that allowed for people from Sweden?

And besides the controversial game not too long ago, why not Russia?

Because Yemelin <_<

#232 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

Because Yemelin <_<

throw Nikulin and Malkin in, and it's enough for Swedish to root for Finland.

gosh, it could probably work the same the other way around, even if it seems totally impossible and out of place!

#233 germanwing

germanwing

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 565 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

Russia beats Finland 6-2.
Malkin with the Hattrick.

#234 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

Tatar almost puts the nail in the coffin late in the 3rd he gets one through the Kovac's five hole that trcikles by the post.

#235 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

Uh...

Where the f*** is the Russia game at? I see it listed to be on at 9pm on Versus/NBC sports, but they have some *** ass bike race on instead.

I swear, I hate versus/nbcsports so much.

Looks like the game already happened and the verus/nbc sports listing on the TV lied. I hate that they have pretty much only shown the US games. Since the US is out, I guess they are just not showing any more games. Lame.

Edited by sleepwalker, 19 May 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#236 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

Feels like this competition has been better than the NHL playoffs this year. I know we must hate the 'Nucks, Hawks and Pens, but it would've been better if those teams made it further without winning the entire thing. A Canucks SCF loss to the Rangers (again) would have been out of this world.

bringit.jpg

#237 brennan17

brennan17

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

Pavs, semin and Ovie are just tearing it up right now. Pavs needs a Russian!

#238 dats13owns

dats13owns

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

Russia up 5-1 in the third. Datsyuk with a goal and two helpers.

Can't wait to watch this tonight.

Go Russia!

#239 brennan17

brennan17

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

Wow 6-2 Russia wins. Pavs is so pumped up right now, it's good to see

#240 dats13owns

dats13owns

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Russia wins this thing 6-2. Wish the games were more accessible.

Go Datsyuk.