• Please log in to reply
269 replies to this topic

#261 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

Both teams got away with alot in that series. The best team still won on a great goal by Lemieux assisted by Gretzky. Funny thing is that ol Larry Murphy was wide open in the slot. I think Gretz made the right choice to pass to number 66 though. LOL. Yeah, if Canada had lost I would still feel the same way. Seeing the KLM line in their prime and a young Kamensky made me appreciate the high skill level of the russian players. When I watched all the 72 Summit Series games which I was not alive for in 72, I watched how great Kharlamov was and he reminded me so much of Datsyuk. He was even built like him. I also appreciated how great Tretiak was in net. I had never seen a goalie jump in the air to make a save the way he did. It was great. I think his son is a goalie. I wonder if he is just as good as his dad. If he is then the Wings should draft him.

Actually it's his grandson that's a goalie. He is something like 13 or 14, and he played for Russia in some kids tournaments, but I wonder if that is because he's good or who his grandpa is.

#262 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

Actually it's his grandson that's a goalie. He is something like 13 or 14, and he played for Russia in some kids tournaments, but I wonder if that is because he's good or who his grandpa is.

Ah draft him anyway. He is likely just as good as Conklin is and the same size as Hudler.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#263 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

Tatar with some kind of moves! :lol:

"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#264 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

I think it's a bit of disgrace that Canadian players don't treat this with a bit more competitiveness and zeal. An international competition is an international competition. I thought all the teams had their fair share of star players making it pretty good level hockety. Canada should be embarrassed that they lost in the quarters instead of treating it as some sort of 'I didn't make it to the NHL playoffs' or 'I got eliminated first round' vacation to Europe.

#265 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

Congrats to Russia :clap:
IPB Image

#266 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

I'm happy for Pav's.

Posted Image

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#267 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

Russian sports paper "Sovetskiy Sport" quoted Ilya Kovalchuk's mom: "Pavel Datsyuk played in the Worlds with an injury."
I'm so happy for him. He got his first gold medal for Russia, and was one of the key players on that team. I didn't think I could admire this man any more :)

#268 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

I think it's a bit of disgrace that Canadian players don't treat this with a bit more competitiveness and zeal. An international competition is an international competition. I thought all the teams had their fair share of star players making it pretty good level hockety. Canada should be embarrassed that they lost in the quarters instead of treating it as some sort of 'I didn't make it to the NHL playoffs' or 'I got eliminated first round' vacation to Europe.

Come on man lets be real. People in Canada could give 2 s***s about this tournament and it's always been that way. Especially when the Stanley Cup playoffs are on.

Only international tournaments that matter in Canada is the WJC and Olympics.

Edited by redwingfan19, 26 May 2012 - 09:45 AM.

You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#269 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

Sportsnet.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#270 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

From Sportsnet:

Canadian forward Ryan Getzlaf was suspended for one game Friday, being Canada’s first game of the 2013 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship in Stockholm and Helsinki, for kneeing Slovakia’s Juraj Mikus in May’s quarterfinal match of the 2012 championship.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.