• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Namingway

2012 World Ice Hockey Championships

Rate this topic

Hate him or love him - Semin fit like a glove on Pavs wing. If his pricetag is low enough (4.5) and the terms short I wouldnt be upset to see him on the Wings next year. Weve taken on projects/reclaimation projects before ... and hes probably the youngest and most talented renaissance man Hollands ever given a career 2nd life to.

That sounds like a good deal, but I just have to imagine that he only played so well because he knew that the tournament is short and European players have that reputation of caring more about International play than winning a Cup.

I could be wrong and he might do well in a better run organization, but I just wouldn't get my hopes up based on one solid outing in a World Championship.

Guest Johnz96

That sounds like a good deal, but I just have to imagine that he only played so well because he knew that the tournament is short and European players have that reputation of caring more about International play than winning a Cup.

I could be wrong and he might do well in a better run organization, but I just wouldn't get my hopes up based on one solid outing in a World Championship.

More than half the players he played against were not good enough for the NHL

More than half the players he played against were not good enough for the NHL

Uh, so that must be the reason why the all-NHL US and Canadian squads went home after the quarterfinals? Where the poor dears too bored to play against such inferior competition? :P

The champion, team Russia, only had 8 NHL players on its 25 men roster. And not all of them were named Alexander or Evgeni :)

Edited by sibiriak

Guest Hatethedrake!

Honestly, us Canadians don`t give a rats ass about the World Championship. Even when Canada won it I could care less. It is not best on best. Now World Juniors and Olympics and World Cup, Canada is all in. I respect the fact that players from Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, etc care alot about it. But Canadians will always view the Stanley Cup as the most important hockey trophy to win. I always shake my head seeing some of the Euros play so hard for their country like Miro Satan whereas in the NHL they float out there each game. I watched Franzen work 100 times harder for Team Sweden in the WC than he did all season for the Wings. Dats and Z are always the same though which is nice to see.

Honestly, us Canadians don`t give a rats ass about the World Championship. Even when Canada won it I could care less. It is not best on best. Now World Juniors and Olympics and World Cup, Canada is all in. I respect the fact that players from Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, etc care alot about it. But Canadians will always view the Stanley Cup as the most important hockey trophy to win. I always shake my head seeing some of the Euros play so hard for their country like Miro Satan whereas in the NHL they float out there each game. I watched Franzen work 100 times harder for Team Sweden in the WC than he did all season for the Wings. Dats and Z are always the same though which is nice to see.

I'm perfectly aware of the level of interest for the Hockey Worlds over here in North America. And that's fine. Still I kind of doubt that the all-NHL Canadian or US players go to this tourney and than float around and don't try very hard. So I take umbrage when I read comments like the one I responded to. This particular fan might not care about the tournament, but the fact that all-NHL players teams lost to "players not good enough for the NHL", lends a certain arrogance to his post, don't you think?

But yes, the Olympics are the true indicator of the international hockey pecking order, and I can't wait to see Canada leave Sochi with their tails between their collective legs. :P

Edited by sibiriak

Guest Hatethedrake!

I'm perfectly aware of the level of interest for the Hockey Worlds over here in North America. And that's fine. Still I kind of doubt that the all-NHL Canadian or US players go to this tourney and than float around and don't try very hard. So I take umbrage when I read comments like the one I responded to. This particular fan might not care about the tournament, but the fact that all-NHL players teams lost to "players not good enough for the NHL", lends a certain arrogance to his post, don't you think?

But yes, the Olympics are the true indicator of the international hockey pecking order, and I can't wait to see Canada leave Sochi with their tails between their collective legs. :P

Well I certainly hope Russia fares better in Sochi since Canada s***whacked them pretty good in the last Olympics. I expect Russia to be playing for pride and I know they will be much better. Canada can`t win it all the time. However given the talent in Canada right now, I would be very surprised if they don`t come away with gold in Sochi. I just enjoy the great hockey. The 87 Canada Cup 3 game series is still my favourite series of all time.

Well I certainly hope Russia fares better in Sochi since Canada s***whacked them pretty good in the last Olympics. I expect Russia to be playing for pride and I know they will be much better. Canada can`t win it all the time. However given the talent in Canada right now, I would be very surprised if they don`t come away with gold in Sochi. I just enjoy the great hockey. The 87 Canada Cup 3 game series is still my favourite series of all time.

That was nice series, I remember it well. I wonder would you feel the same way if the score was 5:6 and not 6:5 in that last game? Or if the ref blew the whistle on Canada for the foul against Bykov just before the GWG for Canada in Game 3? :)

Guest Hatethedrake!

That was nice series, I remember it well. I wonder would you feel the same way if the score was 5:6 and not 6:5 in that last game? Or if the ref blew the whistle on Canada for the foul against Bykov just before the GWG for Canada in Game 3? :)

Both teams got away with alot in that series. The best team still won on a great goal by Lemieux assisted by Gretzky. Funny thing is that ol Larry Murphy was wide open in the slot. I think Gretz made the right choice to pass to number 66 though. LOL. Yeah, if Canada had lost I would still feel the same way. Seeing the KLM line in their prime and a young Kamensky made me appreciate the high skill level of the russian players. When I watched all the 72 Summit Series games which I was not alive for in 72, I watched how great Kharlamov was and he reminded me so much of Datsyuk. He was even built like him. I also appreciated how great Tretiak was in net. I had never seen a goalie jump in the air to make a save the way he did. It was great. I think his son is a goalie. I wonder if he is just as good as his dad. If he is then the Wings should draft him.

Edited by Hatethedrake!

Both teams got away with alot in that series. The best team still won on a great goal by Lemieux assisted by Gretzky. Funny thing is that ol Larry Murphy was wide open in the slot. I think Gretz made the right choice to pass to number 66 though. LOL. Yeah, if Canada had lost I would still feel the same way. Seeing the KLM line in their prime and a young Kamensky made me appreciate the high skill level of the russian players. When I watched all the 72 Summit Series games which I was not alive for in 72, I watched how great Kharlamov was and he reminded me so much of Datsyuk. He was even built like him. I also appreciated how great Tretiak was in net. I had never seen a goalie jump in the air to make a save the way he did. It was great. I think his son is a goalie. I wonder if he is just as good as his dad. If he is then the Wings should draft him.

Actually it's his grandson that's a goalie. He is something like 13 or 14, and he played for Russia in some kids tournaments, but I wonder if that is because he's good or who his grandpa is.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Actually it's his grandson that's a goalie. He is something like 13 or 14, and he played for Russia in some kids tournaments, but I wonder if that is because he's good or who his grandpa is.

Ah draft him anyway. He is likely just as good as Conklin is and the same size as Hudler.

I think it's a bit of disgrace that Canadian players don't treat this with a bit more competitiveness and zeal. An international competition is an international competition. I thought all the teams had their fair share of star players making it pretty good level hockety. Canada should be embarrassed that they lost in the quarters instead of treating it as some sort of 'I didn't make it to the NHL playoffs' or 'I got eliminated first round' vacation to Europe.

Russian sports paper "Sovetskiy Sport" quoted Ilya Kovalchuk's mom: "Pavel Datsyuk played in the Worlds with an injury."

I'm so happy for him. He got his first gold medal for Russia, and was one of the key players on that team. I didn't think I could admire this man any more :)

I think it's a bit of disgrace that Canadian players don't treat this with a bit more competitiveness and zeal. An international competition is an international competition. I thought all the teams had their fair share of star players making it pretty good level hockety. Canada should be embarrassed that they lost in the quarters instead of treating it as some sort of 'I didn't make it to the NHL playoffs' or 'I got eliminated first round' vacation to Europe.

Come on man lets be real. People in Canada could give 2 s***s about this tournament and it's always been that way. Especially when the Stanley Cup playoffs are on.

Only international tournaments that matter in Canada is the WJC and Olympics.

Edited by redwingfan19