• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
b.shanafan14

Johan Franzen wants to 'have more fun'

Rate this topic

29 goals IS a pretty big deal, considering that only 35 players in the entire league managed to score that many.

So on average every team in the league had at least 1 player with more goals than Franzen?

You can't say his production is fine, but then criticize him for lacking effort.

Yes I can - and I said his production "wasn't the issue". Maybe I should clarify that. His regular season production is adequate. But given his lack of effort, and the fact that he is playing with one of the elite playmakers in the NHL, what do you think he could achieve if he actually tried on a nightly basis? He is capable of so much more.

Since breaking out, he's consistently produced at a 30-ish goal level.

He's scored 30 goals once. An ancient Brett Hull playing in the dead puck era got 30, 37 and 25 with Datsyuk. An ancient and decrepit Shanny who could barely skate got 40. Hossa (who apparantly didn't "gel" with Dats) got 40.

Zetterberg going from 4 straight 30+ goal seasons (including seasons scoring 39 and 43) to now scoring in the low 20s the past few years (hmm... every year since he signed his long-term deal...), and Datsyuk dropping to a ~22 goal pace after 7 straight years in the 27-33 range has a lot more to do with the 'lack of top-6 goal scoring' we seem to all be so worried about, than does Franzen not being a top-10 sniper, regardless of effort level.

Maybe age, injuries, and wingers who don't pull their weight don't help either?

I know you're not blaming him solely for the loss, but I think you (and others) are using him as an outlet for your anger over the disappointing loss.

WRONG! People were moaning about his lack of effort all season - and all of last season too. All regualr season it was the same, wait till the playoffs, wait till the playoffs. Well now we've had 2 consecutive playoff no-shows, and 2 consecutive half-assed regular seasons. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail as Roy Keane used to say.

So on average every team in the league had at least 1 player with more goals than Franzen?

And nobody on the Wings roster. And a number of other teams who don't even have a 30 goal scorer. The Bruins had only one with as many as Franzen, the Hurricanes had zero, Avalanche had zero, Panthers had zero, Kings had zero, Wild had zero, Predators had zero, and the Blues had zero. These are teams that are either not playoff teams or play a more defensive style. This shows that we need more than one player who can challenge for 30 goals if we want to be more of a threat offensively. Not on Franzen.

Yes I can - and I said his production "wasn't the issue". Maybe I should clarify that. His regular season production is adequate. But given his lack of effort, and the fact that he is playing with one of the elite playmakers in the NHL, what do you think he could achieve if he actually tried on a nightly basis? He is capable of so much more.

Franzen scored 35 goals with a stacked lineup and a much better Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa, etc playing and providing space. If you think the guy is capable of 40+ goals even with effort you are out of your damn mind.

He's scored 30 goals once. An ancient Brett Hull playing in the dead puck era got 30, 37 and 25 with Datsyuk. An ancient and decrepit Shanny who could barely skate got 40. Hossa (who apparantly didn't "gel" with Dats) got 40.

Hull and Shanahan are hall of famers. Worth a lot more. Hossa is a great goal scorer. Also paid more. So what?

Maybe age, injuries, and wingers who don't pull their weight don't help either?

His injury is what set him back the most. Before the injury he was playing amazing and contributing well offensively.

WRONG! People were moaning about his lack of effort all season - and all of last season too. All regualr season it was the same, wait till the playoffs, wait till the playoffs. Well now we've had 2 consecutive playoff no-shows, and 2 consecutive half-assed regular seasons. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail as Roy Keane used to say.

First no-show he was injured. Second no show the entire team other than Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Miller didn't show up.

Effort or not, it isn't all on him. Pretty much the point of the article in the OP.

Edited by Doc Holliday

I agree with most people on here. He IS capable of scoring 35+ goals a year for this team easily. Look who he skates with, even I could chip in 20+ goals skating with Dats and I don't play hockey. Detroit signed him over Hossa because of money and the way he kicked up 10 notches when the playoffs started. Just like Hudler can't skate or do anything since signing his new contract. But just wait till his contract is up, he will step it up again in the playoffs and help us get back to the Stanly Cup finals.

But just wait till his contract is up, he will step it up again in the playoffs and help us get back to the Stanly Cup finals.

Yeah, can't wait until 40-year-old Franzen leads the Wings to the 2020 Stanley Cup...