• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

#7 Washington Capitals vs. #1 New York Rangers

Rate this topic

I can't believe how much of a goat Ward's been this year. Poor bastard takes the penalty that leads to the tieing AND winning goals by the Rangers. Staal played a hell of a 3rd/OT. His defensive play in the 3rd was brilliant.

Its moments like last night that make me glad the Caps aren't my favorite team. What another gut wrenching loss. It would be different if they just lost, but to lose like that... I don't know how they'll be up for the next game.

What a finish!

Q: A long time ago, were the Rangers the first team to start the tradition of the "centre-ice salute"?

Could be, but for some reason I'm thinking Phoenix or Washington might have started it.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I think the Caps win tonight but the Rags win in 7. With Holtby as the starter now and Neuvirth as the other goalie, I wonder if Kenny goes after Vokoun to be Jimmy's back-up. He had interest in him last summer before he signed with the Caps.

What a finish!

Q: A long time ago, were the Rangers the first team to start the tradition of the "centre-ice salute"?

I still recall Jagr doing that.

If Wikipedia is to be taken as "the" source...

After every Rangers home win, the team gathers at center ice and raise their sticks in the air to salute the Rangers supporters. The salute (the idea of defenseman Darius Kasparaitis) began in the early part of the 2005–06 season, and has proved extremely popular with both the players and fans alike. Specifically, after the Rangers defeated the Washington Capitals in the longest shootout game in its short history in the NHL (thanks to the circus-like goal by Marek Malík), the team gathered at center ice to salute their fans.

The salute to the fans is typically done only after home victories. However, after the Rangers fell to the rival New Jersey Devils in a four-game sweep in the first round of the 2006 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the fans' cheers at the conclusion of an otherwise outstanding breakout season caused the players to stay on the ice after the loss and give the fans one final salute for the year. The Rangers also did the salute at the conclusion of the second round of the 2007 playoffs after losing Game 6, and the series, to the Buffalo Sabres. The New York Islanders later copied the "salute to the fans" after each home game victory, the minor difference being at the blue line rather than center ice.

Though not very popular in the National Hockey League, this tradition is common in European ice hockey, and in amateur hockey in North America. It may have been introduced to American hockey by Mike Schafer in 1995–96, his first season as head coach of the Cornell Big Red men's ice hockey team

Edited by cusimano_brothers

Guest Hatethedrake!

The FLOAT was originated by Johan Franzen who began that after he signed his big contract extension. Ever since then he skates around the ice like a lazy ballerina and is invisible. He now only plays to stay healthy so he can collect his remaining salary. He has even admitted that he is bored with the regular season. Red Wings fans are bored of his lazy and underachieving play. There appears to be no immediate remedy and all Red Wings fans can do is suffer each season watching Franzen float around the ice like a little terd in the toilet that will just not flush. No matter how many times you push the lever, it will never flush. So you just give up and pretend that it is not there. Eventually you just stop noticing it. The 8 stages of Johan Franzen are...

1. HOPE

2. EXPECTATION

3. DISAPPOINTMENT

4. ANGER

5. REMORSE

6. JUSTIFICATION

7. ACCEPTANCE

8. SURRENDER

I played Jr A with Holtby in Lloydminster (he practiced with us all year and got called up a handful of times) when he was only a 15 year old. He was a great kid and its awesome to see what a beast this guys playing like. Im rooting for the Kings in the West, but id like to see the Caps come out of the east given all the s*** the team/Ovi has taken over the last few days. Ovechkin hoisting the cup would please me because it would sting Pens fans and Crosbaby would probably cry himself to sleep for a week.

Guest Shoreline

Another Game 7 for the Caps, whoever wins this series needs to beat the Devils, please and thank you.

I'm surprised the Caps have come this far though, win or lose.