• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Johnz96

An article I wrote about Hudler for Bleacher Report

Rate this topic

Raise?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Interesting stuff from some posters. I guess it's hard to judge Hudler if you don't pay attention to every game. Yes, Hudler gets out-muscled by bigger players (see: everyone but St.Louis and Gionta) but he battled way more than half our forwards (Bertuzzi, Franzen) and was one of the few players who went to the front of the net on a regular basis. He's also one of only two guys to score on Rinne more than once in the playoffs. Anyone who thinks those points by Hudler in the playoffs were thanks to Filppula's amazing play must not have watched the same games I watched (Val's sudden transformation into a player who stayed exclusively on the outside didn't help anyone in the playoffs, it's a damn shame he wasn't driving the net like he did in the regular season).

Newsflash: NHL players don't stumble to 50pt seasons along side sub-70pt linemates because they're getting dragged along despite their lack of skill. Hudler earned his spot on the Zetterberg line by going to the net and playing mini-Holmstrom (a role I wouldn't have believed he could play before this season).

If Franzen worked as hard as Hudler did this year we'd probably still be in the playoffs.

There's room on this team for the Hudler we saw every year in the league other than last season. He's a specialty winger who gives you a strong 2nd PP guy. Losing Hudler would only make our lame PP even worse. I can't wait to see some remodeling of the roster this summer but switching Hudler for a gritty forward is goofy suggestion unless that gritty forward is also a top 6 guy (unlikely since every team in the league covets gritty scorers above all else). If Hudler does go I wish him the best on his next team and I really hope he's replaced by a better player offensive player and not a token grinder who reduces our offensive depth even further.

Does he deserve a raise? Yes absolutely, he is well underpaid for the points he puts up.

Do I want him to get that raise with Detroit? Not so sure....

His best play has always been when he's a bit Scrappy Doo and goes to the net - like others have said, a mini Holmstrom. The years when he's done that? 2009 (23 goals) and this year (25 goals). The common denominator those seasons? The magic words - "contract year"

I wish Hudler was 6 inches taller and 20-30 lbs heavier. If he was then his work ethic (he does have a high one) would shine as he wouldnt lose so many battles for the puck along the boards. It would also make him alot tougher to play against as hes one of the few people on the team who's first instinct is to take the puck to the net despite his size. Unfortunately he is small. The other major problem is the best small guys in the league are amazing skaters. Hudler is nowhere near an amazing skater. Despite that he does put up points. He deserves a raise but honestly I would be happy if he got it elsewhere. If the Wings have there way in Free Agency I just dont see a spot for him on the roster. You dont want him on your first line and you definitely dont want him down on the checking line.

Yeah, i too was lost when you said he wins most of his battles :blink:

I remember him winning battles in the corners. He doesn't have the size, but he does have the desire thats for sure. I think he wins at least half of his battles in the corners.

Hudler got 50 points riding Z and Flip's coattails... time to cut the cord and see what other GM's think he's worth on the open market.

Just so you know, Z is my FAVORATE hockey player but......

No way...Until December, when Hank got going, Hudler and Flip did the damage on this line. Hudler was much stronger this year and he was effective on this line. Like I said, at times, Huds and/or Flip was the sparkplug on this line. He earned his playing time.

I voted yes. Based upon his points and hustle I think he has definitely earned a raise. However, with his specific size/talents along with what he brings to the team compared with what the Wings needs are should they offer him a raise? To me that is a completely different (and much more difficult to answer) question.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Frozen-Man

Interesting stuff from some posters. I guess it's hard to judge Hudler if you don't pay attention to every game. Yes, Hudler gets out-muscled by bigger players (see: everyone but St.Louis and Gionta) but he battled way more than half our forwards (Bertuzzi, Franzen) and was one of the few players who went to the front of the net on a regular basis. He's also one of only two guys to score on Rinne more than once in the playoffs. Anyone who thinks those points by Hudler in the playoffs were thanks to Filppula's amazing play must not have watched the same games I watched (Val's sudden transformation into a player who stayed exclusively on the outside didn't help anyone in the playoffs, it's a damn shame he wasn't driving the net like he did in the regular season).

e des

Newsflash: NHL players don't stumble to 50pt seasons along side sub-70pt linemates because they're getting dragged along despite their lack of skill. Hudler earned his spot on the Zetterberg line by going to the net and playing mini-Holmstrom (a role I wouldn't have believed he could play before this season).

If Franzen worked as hard as Hudler did this year we'd probably still be in the playoffs.

I like this post but loath huds, but as much as i hate to admit it.. your points are on. Yes he deserves it.

Hudler got 50 points riding Z and Flip's coattails... time to cut the cord and see what other GM's think he's worth on the open market.

Hudler is far from my favorite but this general statement, applied to anybody for that matter (i.e. Franzen with Datsyuk helping him out since he's a scapegoat lately), is ridiculous. What do you expect him to do, purposefully give up the puck for others to score?

You score goals or get points/assists or contribute in whatever way you can.

No matter how much people in here like him or not, Hudler produced this past season, albeit inconsistently when others didn't. And he's undersized yes but he's learned to bring effort and get to the front of the net when he can. He has to or he knows he might be one of the first people scratched since he is undersized. Whether that is because it was largely/solely due to it being a contract year, you be the judge, that issue is entirely subjective.

It wouldn't kill me to see him go but it isn't unreasonable to see him consistently put up roughly 20 goals and 45-50 points a season.

Guest Johnz96

Does he deserve a raise? Yes absolutely, he is well underpaid for the points he puts up.

Do I want him to get that raise with Detroit? Not so sure....

His best play has always been when he's a bit Scrappy Doo and goes to the net - like others have said, a mini Holmstrom. The years when he's done that? 2009 (23 goals) and this year (25 goals). The common denominator those seasons? The magic words - "contract year"

In 10-11 he started slowly was quickly demoted to 4th line and often being a healthy scratch. He only appeared in 31 of the first 40 games and played less than 11 minutes a game. He was bummed out about his role on the team and lost confidence You can't score from the bench. Than more than half the team went down with injuries and Babcock was forced to use him and he scored 31 points in the last 42 games (a 60 point pace) and then he was once again demoted to 4th line and getting scratched in the playoffs

I don't care if he scores 50 goals. His defensive game is nonexistent. He is very slow for an offensive forward. He gets knocked out by wind from a player skating by. I hope he goes somewhere. I bet not many NHL teams will be interested in his services. He can go back to KHL and retire there. Z line needs a faster skater and size. Any average player can score goals playing with Z. That lazy f***** played a little better because it was his contract year. I don't know why Iam saying all this. I hate that guy. Everybody knows Hudler is not what the Wings need.

No Hudler !

I don't care if he scores 50 goals. His defensive game is nonexistent. He is very slow for an offensive forward. He gets knocked out by wind from a player skating by. I hope he goes somewhere. I bet not many NHL teams will be interested in his services. He can go back to KHL and retire there. Z line needs a faster skater and size. Any average player can score goals playing with Z. That lazy f***** played a little better because it was his contract year. I don't know why Iam saying all this. I hate that guy. Everybody knows Hudler is not what the Wings need.

No Hudler !

I'm sensing you have a thing for Huds. blink.gif

Unfortunately yes. For the cost he is now, he is a steal. On the open market after his stellar performance this year he could easily make another million

Let him go get it cause I don't want him back!