• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Calle Jarnkrok - Does he have a chance to make next season's team?

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

Calle Jarnkrok.

Currently ranked as our 5th best prospect by Hockey's Future (behind Smith, Nyquist, Tatar and Jurco). Born in '91, so 21, and old enough to be considered at this point. He's spent the last two complete seasons in the Swedish Elite League, which is at least somewhat comprable to AHL-level hockey. He's said to be a great play-making center, with outstanding speed (aka defensive ability).

And, most impressively, IMO, he was chosen for the Swedish WC team over Gustav Nyquist...who we all know deserves to be on the team next season.

What are the chances this guy comes over and becomes our third line center next season (moving Helm to a more appropriate fourth line role)?

And while we're at it, what about Tomas Tatar, who will be playing with Marian Hossa and many other high profile NHL-ers on Slovakia's WC team?

I smell a (potential) great third scoring line in Nyquist-Jarnkrok-Tatar as early as next season.

With the management's desire to leave prospects in the minors until they're "overripe" (a term I'm sure we ALL love so much), I highly doubt that Jarnkrok will crack the Wings' lineup this year.

If he does see any time on this roster, I'm sure it would be as an injury replacement. As a full timer? Highly, highly unlikely.

Still a bit skinny and hasnt proven to be able to handle the NA game. He will be on the team the year after this upcoming season, which will also give him some time to add another 10 lbs maybe

Not to derail the thread, but the over-ripen strategy is something that I believe we will begin to see less of as the seasons go on. The main reason we had the luxury of leaving prospects in the minors for so long was because we could go out and have our pick of the litter free agent wise. Although we have a lot of money this summer, once the new CBA goes into effect (knock on wood), I do not see how we can continue to prolong the strategy of waiting until 24/25 years of age for our prospects to finally have more than a cup of coffee in the show.

Anyone else thinking this could be correct?

Opinions to the contrary welcomed, as always. Just sort of thinking aloud.

No, I think you're correct WL. As I said in another thread, if we bomb out in Free Agency and miss out on Parise, Suter, Doan etc then next season goes into rebuild mode and we might end up seeing a lot of our youngsters. But be careful what you wish for, we might also see a lot more losing.

Nyquist-Jarnkrok-Tatar....you have been telling us that you want this line for a long time now...I don't think he demotes Helm to the 4th line either...as much as you wish, it ain't happening.

Just like Jedi said, not until he is overripe. Not Holland's forte' to bring up a prospect fulltime until he has no more options...

Nyquist-Jarnkrok-Tatar....you have been telling us that you want this line for a long time now...I don't think he demotes Helm to the 4th line either...as much as you wish, it ain't happening.

Just like Jedi said, not until he is overripe. Not Holland's forte' to bring up a prospect fulltime until he has no more options...

unless his name Zetterberg or Datsyuk you are right and I've wished that would change for last few years.Also I thought he still one more year left on his contract in Sweden.

Not to derail the thread, but the over-ripen strategy is something that I believe we will begin to see less of as the seasons go on. The main reason we had the luxury of leaving prospects in the minors for so long was because we could go out and have our pick of the litter free agent wise. Although we have a lot of money this summer, once the new CBA goes into effect (knock on wood), I do not see how we can continue to prolong the strategy of waiting until 24/25 years of age for our prospects to finally have more than a cup of coffee in the show.

Anyone else thinking this could be correct?

Opinions to the contrary welcomed, as always. Just sort of thinking aloud.

I really hope it's correct. I really don't want to see the Wings become black listed by prospects in the draft not wanting to sign with the Wings cause their NHL career won't be starting for 4-6 years. Not exactly the NHL dream... I'd much rather see a 3rd line with Tatar-Jarnkrok-Nyquist than Cleary-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi. Anyone have anything against multiple rookies in the lineup that are NHL ready, take a good look at the Flyers, they're still playing hockey while the Wings players are getting surgery, golfing and looking at walkers. It's time to get younger and there's lots of good prospects in the system. Sheahan looked good aside from his double minor for high-sticking and Pulkkinen is a good player with a good shot as well. Joakim Andersson has good hustle and is big, so for all the people who want Gaustad, take a younger version for way less money.

As for Jarnkrok, I heard before that he's supposed to have a Z like play style. Being right handed also helps... Doubtful that there's a spot cause Holland hasn't even cut ties with Homer yet, so I'm gonna shelf my hope for a year and then look back next offseason at a time where he should definitely make the team or the Wings organization doesn't deserve him.

Guest Heaten

Calle Jarnkrok.

Currently ranked as our 5th best prospect by Hockey's Future (behind Smith, Nyquist, Tatar and Jurco).

Interesting. I'd put Jarnkrok ahead of Tatar and Jurco.

Guest Heaten

I really hope it's correct. I really don't want to see the Wings become black listed by prospects in the draft not wanting to sign with the Wings cause their NHL career won't be starting for 4-6 years. Not exactly the NHL dream... I'd much rather see a 3rd line with Tatar-Jarnkrok-Nyquist than Cleary-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi. Anyone have anything against multiple rookies in the lineup that are NHL ready, take a good look at the Flyers, they're still playing hockey while the Wings players are getting surgery, golfing and looking at walkers. It's time to get younger and there's lots of good prospects in the system. Sheahan looked good aside from his double minor for high-sticking and Pulkkinen is a good player with a good shot as well. Joakim Andersson has good hustle and is big, so for all the people who want Gaustad, take a younger version for way less money.

As for Jarnkrok, I heard before that he's supposed to have a Z like play style. Being right handed also helps... Doubtful that there's a spot cause Holland hasn't even cut ties with Homer yet, so I'm gonna shelf my hope for a year and then look back next offseason at a time where he should definitely make the team or the Wings organization doesn't deserve him.

Whoa, talk about a soft line: Tatar-Jarnkrok-Nyquist over Cleary-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi? Really? REALLY?

I really hope Kenny Holland doesn't decide to go the way the Oilers decided to go... winning is much more fun.

It doesn't seem like we have any prospects who can be a Datsyuk or Zetterberg in the future.

Look at a team like the Flyers, who are being carried now by young guys in their early 20's and late teens, who were guys they drafted and developed. Granted, some of those guys were higher picks, but the point is they have a great future.

Guys like Smith and Nyquist (who seem to be our best prospects) are good young players, but I don't know about them being future star players or anything like that.

It doesn't seem like we have any prospects who can be a Datsyuk or Zetterberg in the future.

Look at a team like the Flyers, who are being carried now by young guys in their early 20's and late teens, who were guys they drafted and developed. Granted, some of those guys were higher picks, but the point is they have a great future.

Guys like Smith and Nyquist (who seem to be our best prospects) are good young players, but I don't know about them being future star players or anything like that.

I think Smith will be, but I agree about Nyquist and the rest of our prospects. They're good but not amazing. Holland is going to have to go UFA hunting to really get some high end talent in their late 20s or look for some trade steals for early 20s reclamation projects.

Calle Jarnkrok.

Currently ranked as our 5th best prospect by Hockey's Future (behind Smith, Nyquist, Tatar and Jurco). Born in '91, so 21, and old enough to be considered at this point. He's spent the last two complete seasons in the Swedish Elite League, which is at least somewhat comprable to AHL-level hockey. He's said to be a great play-making center, with outstanding speed (aka defensive ability).

And, most impressively, IMO, he was chosen for the Swedish WC team over Gustav Nyquist...who we all know deserves to be on the team next season.

What are the chances this guy comes over and becomes our third line center next season (moving Helm to a more appropriate fourth line role)?

And while we're at it, what about Tomas Tatar, who will be playing with Marian Hossa and many other high profile NHL-ers on Slovakia's WC team?

I smell a (potential) great third scoring line in Nyquist-Jarnkrok-Tatar as early as next season.

Jarnkrok needs NHL size/strength. The skill's never been in question. Nyquist needs NHL size too, but I'm sure the Wings have already made the weight-room requirements clear :P

Jurco, Plukkinen, Jarnkrok, Nyquist and Tvrdon all have top end upside in terms of talent. Any of them could be Z/Dats players if the Wings are lucky. Datsyuk's sublime skill really started to shine once he had the NHL strength to harness it. If any of those five can follow the same trajectory as Datsyuk did between their age and his late twenties we're golden.

Whoa, talk about a soft line: Tatar-Jarnkrok-Nyquist over Cleary-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi? Really? REALLY?

Obvious troll is obvious.

I'm no expert on european hockey but I'd imagine that the Swedish WC team would have a slight biased toward Jarnkrok (over Nyquist) because they've seen him so much more (SEL vs. College hockey and GR).

As far as Jarnkrok, Nyquist, Tatar on the roster next year...there's no way. Nyquist will be there but just look at who is signed already. There's no room. Yes, there is a possibility of a trade but not a likely one.

No one has a Datsyuk in their pipeline. He's a unique player in so many ways it's not realistic to expect Detroit of all teams to completely luck out and find another similar player with their low draft-picks. Even teams drafting 1st-5th overall years in a row (Edmonton anyone?) have a really, really hard time finding players that come close to Datsyuk.

Järnkror is very promising though. I think after this World Championships we'll have a decent idea of both where is really is now and his potential. Reports from pre-WC tournaments are very positive and there is a reason he is still on the roster despite a bunch of NHL players joining. For example a guy like Linus Omark was cut from the team recently, but Järnkrok remains. I bet Holland and Co. will keep watch on how he does in this tournament.

My bet is he plays another year in the SEL, like most people think. He still needs to put on some muscle. But then again Datsyuk was a skinny kid in 2001 but his talent earned him a spot on the team.

Also remember that we don't need a replacement for Datsyuk and Zetterberg NOW. We could draft a kid this year, or next, that will turn into a star player in 3-4 years and we'd be pretty solid. Both Pav and Hank have good years left in them. Overall I think our prospect pool is very interesting. Definitely some potential top 6 players in there.

I'd never watched the kid play before, but here's his highlight reel. He does sort of look like Z out there.

I'd much rather see a 3rd line with Tatar-Jarnkrok-Nyquist than Cleary-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi.

This would be terrible. We're gonna have a 3rd line of 21 year old Europeans, one of which isnt even sued to the North American style of play and the tallest is a whopping 5'11. Those kids would get eaten alive, wouldnt even get near a goalie and would have their confidence ruined

This would be terrible. We're gonna have a 3rd line of 21 year old Europeans, one of which isnt even sued to the North American style of play and the tallest is a whopping 5'11. Those kids would get eaten alive, wouldnt even get near a goalie and would have their confidence ruined

haha, is there something you don't like about giving third line minutes and responsibilities to three rookies with little or no NHL experience and expecting us to be better than we were this year? Maybe if they were all Jonathan Toews...are any of them Jonathan Toews?

Obviously it's a stupid idea to throw 3 fairly small rookies together and it won't happen like that, but you're selling those guys a bit short.

I mean, Nyquist IS an NHL player. No doubt. Eaten alive? In my mind the question is who will he play with next season, Zetterberg or Datsyuk.

How Järnkrok will adjust to the North-American game is anyone's guess, but many european players have said going to smaller rinks is actually easier, and adjusting back to bigger rinks again is a challenge. Järnkrok looked great in an exhibition game against the US today, against mostly NHL players on the US team. Maybe doesn't say much but the kid is skilled and I won't be surprised if come training camp most of LGW is demanding he gets a roster spot.

Tatar I'm most unsure about, but we have seen him in the NHL and he didn't embarress himself.

And, on paper, those 3 guys looks like a really fun combination of speed, skill and scoring. Maybe they won't be a line next year, but hey... maybe they're our 1st line 5 years from now?? :P

Guest Crymson

No, I think you're correct WL. As I said in another thread, if we bomb out in Free Agency and miss out on Parise, Suter, Doan etc then next season goes into rebuild mode and we might end up seeing a lot of our youngsters. But be careful what you wish for, we might also see a lot more losing.

I don't think Mr. Phoenix will be going anywhere unless the Coyotes don't have enough money to pay him a reasonable salary.

Obviously it's a stupid idea to throw 3 fairly small rookies together and it won't happen like that, but you're selling those guys a bit short.

I mean, Nyquist IS an NHL player. No doubt. Eaten alive? In my mind the question is who will he play with next season, Zetterberg or Datsyuk.

How Järnkrok will adjust to the North-American game is anyone's guess, but many european players have said going to smaller rinks is actually easier, and adjusting back to bigger rinks again is a challenge. Järnkrok looked great in an exhibition game against the US today, against mostly NHL players on the US team. Maybe doesn't say much but the kid is skilled and I won't be surprised if come training camp most of LGW is demanding he gets a roster spot.

Tatar I'm most unsure about, but we have seen him in the NHL and he didn't embarress himself.

And, on paper, those 3 guys looks like a really fun combination of speed, skill and scoring. Maybe they won't be a line next year, but hey... maybe they're our 1st line 5 years from now?? :P

That's completely true, however the final two could end up being Ville Leino part duex as well. If you'll recall he was pretty highly touted and largely effective at the AHL level as well. Guys like him are the exact reason why I prefer Holland's "seasoning" approach to prospect development.