• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Calle Jarnkrok - Does he have a chance to make next season's team?

Rate this topic

In Babcock's interview with Fox Sports Detroit he said that he doesn't expect any prospects but Nyquist or Smith to crack the roster next year.

He acknowledged that Jarnkrok is an elite talent but said that most draftee's take about 5-7 years to develop. I think he'll start in Grand Rapids for sure but he can play his way into the line-up if he keeps improving like he has.

Everything I heard from the Swedish media stated that he intends to fulfill his contract with Brynas, which has one more year. I didn't think he'd be in NA at all.

Everything I heard from the Swedish media stated that he intends to fulfill his contract with Brynas, which has one more year. I didn't think he'd be in NA at all.

That makes even more sense, The Wings generally let even their best prospects (Datsyuk and Zetterberg) get about 2 or 3 years of development before even bringing them over for camp.

2013/2014 should also have more roster spots available giving him a better chance of making the team right away.

He had 1 assist in his first WC game against Norway.

But apparently...

Hmm... Just Khan being careless or does he know something that we don't?

I don't expect him to play in Grand Rapids. Either he tears it up at camp and forces his way into the lineup next year, or he plays one more year in Brynäs and comes right into the Wings lineup the year after.

This kid is too good to rot away in the AHL. He should be a star in the SEL until he can become a star in the NHL.

I don't expect him to play in Grand Rapids. Either he tears it up at camp and forces his way into the lineup next year, or he plays one more year in Brynäs and comes right into the Wings lineup the year after.

This kid is too good to rot away in the AHL. He should be a star in the SEL until he can become a star in the NHL.

Yeah neither do I. I remember an interview last year with Hakan Andersson and he made sure to mention that after Calle's contract with Brynas was up that he would be good enough to make the Wings team. Pretty bold from Mr. Hakan.

Truth be told, we've seen some Swedes in the AHL who I've never though I'd see for too long. Oiler town is the most prominent example in my mind right now; MPS and Omark.

Although "Rot away in the AHL" is kind of harsh. Just so I have it somewhat right, the main reason why non-North Americans don't like the AHL is because they can easily earn more money back at home? And then a secondary reason is the 'quality of hockey/skill'?

Although "Rot away in the AHL" is kind of harsh. Just so I have it somewhat right, the main reason why non-North Americans don't like the AHL is because they can easily earn more money back at home? And then a secondary reason is the 'quality of hockey/skill'?

I don't think I've ever heard a swedish player, or any player at all for that matter, say anything good about the life of playing in the AHL. It honestly sounds like a piece of s*** existance.

There's a reason most european players who play in the AHL leave as soon as they realize they won't make the NHL, and honestly I think only a small part of that is the money.

Järnkrok is just too good to have to 'pay his dues' or any BS like that. If he doesn't make the Wings next year, he'll stay in the SEL. I have not heard any reliable source say differently. And if he stays in the SEL, he'll be one of the league's biggest stars. Him and Silfverberg were tearing it up this season and are doing great so far in the WC. Silfverberg is guaranteed a place on the Senators next season. Järnkrok really isn't far behind him.

Unless his development comes to a complete stop, after one more year in the SEL he'll be more than ready to take a 3rd line Center role for the Wings.

I don't think I've ever heard a swedish player, or any player at all for that matter, say anything good about the life of playing in the AHL. It honestly sounds like a piece of s*** existance.

There's a reason most european players who play in the AHL leave as soon as they realize they won't make the NHL, and honestly I think only a small part of that is the money.

Järnkrok is just too good to have to 'pay his dues' or any BS like that. If he doesn't make the Wings next year, he'll stay in the SEL. I have not heard any reliable source say differently. And if he stays in the SEL, he'll be one of the league's biggest stars. Him and Silfverberg were tearing it up this season and are doing great so far in the WC. Silfverberg is guaranteed a place on the Senators next season. Järnkrok really isn't far behind him.

Unless his development comes to a complete stop, after one more year in the SEL he'll be more than ready to take a 3rd line Center role for the Wings.

Another reason that the Europeans would rather stay home and play in the leagues other than the AHL is that a lot of guys in the AHL are pissed that they're there and they play dirty and cheapshot. I saw a decent number of games when the Moose were in Winnipeg and having the Cansucks farm team was no picnic...they played like dicks, aside from Mike Keane. I'd rather play in Europe than the AHL anyday. The only reason that a guy on the cups should come over is to get call-ups and try to stick on the big club.

Bump. Wanted to see what you guys think at this point in the season about Jarnkrok for next season?

He has:

GP45 G11 A24 P35

in the SEL. Listed on eliteprospects as 6'0" and 176lbs. I think if he can put on 15 pounds he could be ready for the big show next season as our third line centre.

Management has called Helm the best 3rd line centre in the league.

If we could acquire someone good enough to bump Helm down to the 4th, we would automatically have the best bottom 6 group in the league. I'm all for that.

Unfortunately for Jarnkrock, it takes a lot for a Redwing to be demoted. (see Cleary) and the only rookies that make the team are guys that are out of minor league options. (Brunner is the only recent exception that I can think of)

Bump. Wanted to see what you guys think at this point in the season about Jarnkrok for next season?

He has:

GP45 G11 A24 P35

in the SEL. Listed on eliteprospects as 6'0" and 176lbs. I think if he can put on 15 pounds he could be ready for the big show next season as our third line centre.

I don't even care if he is only 176lbs (Erik Karlsson was only 170lbs last year as a defensemen). He would still do better things and be more productive than Cleary right now. I would love for the Wings to get rid of the leaving kids int he minors. Look at some of these other kids that are currently playing, Tarasenko, Galenchuck, Yakupov etc. makes me wonder when we can get some youth injection into the lineup. These are the lines I would like to see next year if we don't make any trades / signings.

Brunner - Z - Franzen

Flip - Datsyuk - Nyquist

Tatar - Jarnkrok - Bertuzzi

Abby - Helm - Tootoo / Eaves

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - White

Quincey - Lashoff

So Jarnkrok has to wait for Z or Dats or Fil to move on and come in as a top 6 center or nothing? People say he will pull a Zetterberg and start right up with the big club when he comes over.

Don't argue with me. Argue with the Redwing philosophy for the last gazillion years.

My point was: I hope he is that good. I want to win, and I want the best players to play. Not the ones Kenny feels loyal to. (although I do admit that Ken Hollands approach has worked for a number of years)

Don't argue with me. Argue with the Redwing philosophy for the last gazillion years.

My point was: I hope he is that good. I want to win, and I want the best players to play. Not the ones Kenny feels loyal to. (although I do admit that Ken Hollands approach has worked for a number of years)

It was okay to be sentimental when you had the future of the team cemented in Z, Dats, Lids, but now we can't afford to let our young talent waste away to allow aging vets to retire in peace in the Red Wings country club locker room. holland needs to start seeing this.

I don't even care if he is only 176lbs (Erik Karlsson was only 170lbs last year as a defensemen). He would still do better things and be more productive than Cleary right now. I would love for the Wings to get rid of the leaving kids int he minors. Look at some of these other kids that are currently playing, Tarasenko, Galenchuck, Yakupov etc. makes me wonder when we can get some youth injection into the lineup. These are the lines I would like to see next year if we don't make any trades / signings.

Brunner - Z - Franzen

Flip - Datsyuk - Nyquist

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - White

Quincey - Lashoff

Yuck...

besides Cola is here for two years and White is a UFA this off season...I understand you are going by not signing anyone or trading for anyone, BUT this team is hot garbage and they need to trade a few commodities in order to tunr this around ALONG WITH bringing up some kids...

Trade Franzen, Filppula, Quincey, Emmerton and Kindl this year. Buy out Sammy/Bertuzzi next year, let Cleary, Mursak, Miller and White walk in the off season. Which kids come up all depends on what you get in return for the trades...

If I had my way and Anaheim/Vancouver would agree to a trade it would look like this:

Bobby Ryan - Datsyuk - Corey Perry

Alex Burrows - Z - Brunner

Abby - Helm - Tootoo

Eaves - Jarnkrok - Sheahan

Kronwall - Douglas Murray

Smith - Ericsson

Lashoff - Dekeyser

Huskins

then whoever makes the 13th/14th forward is up to the kids to win it...

Edited by LeftWinger

Guest Johnz96

Calle Jarnkrok.

Currently ranked as our 5th best prospect by Hockey's Future (behind Smith, Nyquist, Tatar and Jurco). Born in '91, so 21, and old enough to be considered at this point. He's spent the last two complete seasons in the Swedish Elite League, which is at least somewhat comprable to AHL-level hockey. He's said to be a great play-making center, with outstanding speed (aka defensive ability).

And, most impressively, IMO, he was chosen for the Swedish WC team over Gustav Nyquist...who we all know deserves to be on the team next season.

What are the chances this guy comes over and becomes our third line center next season (moving Helm to a more appropriate fourth line role)?

And while we're at it, what about Tomas Tatar, who will be playing with Marian Hossa and many other high profile NHL-ers on Slovakia's WC team?

I smell a (potential) great third scoring line in Nyquist-Jarnkrok-Tatar as early as next season.

Helm on the 4th line is not more appropriate than on the 3rd.

In the 2010-11 season when we had all those injuries mid season, Helm actually got some time as 2nd line center and from Dec 29 to Feb 2 he scored 13 points in 14 games. He is more than capable of producing, given the opportunity.

Calle Jarnkrok.

Currently ranked as our 5th best prospect by Hockey's Future (behind Smith, Nyquist, Tatar and Jurco). Born in '91, so 21, and old enough to be considered at this point. He's spent the last two complete seasons in the Swedish Elite League, which is at least somewhat comprable to AHL-level hockey. He's said to be a great play-making center, with outstanding speed (aka defensive ability).

And, most impressively, IMO, he was chosen for the Swedish WC team over Gustav Nyquist...who we all know deserves to be on the team next season.

What are the chances this guy comes over and becomes our third line center next season (moving Helm to a more appropriate fourth line role)?

And while we're at it, what about Tomas Tatar, who will be playing with Marian Hossa and many other high profile NHL-ers on Slovakia's WC team?

I smell a (potential) great third scoring line in Nyquist-Jarnkrok-Tatar as early as next season.

I was asking for that line asap in numerous threads over the past while. I'm all for it.

No, I think you're correct WL. As I said in another thread, if we bomb out in Free Agency and miss out on Parise, Suter, Doan etc then next season goes into rebuild mode and we might end up seeing a lot of our youngsters. But be careful what you wish for, we might also see a lot more losing.

Losing means better draft picks. We'll become a force again quicker then just trying to make the playoffs or do short term patch work.

Edit: All the top teams in the league right now rebuilt through the draft.

Edited by Barrie

The only silver lining to tanking is Seth Jones...but there is a silver lining to just making the playoffs and getting the 17th or 18th pick....Ryan Pulock. 6'0 211lb Right handed defenseman...if Holland trades this 1st rounder for another Quincey or drafts another soft Euro, he is dead to me! He will need to be fired.

Brunner - Z - Franzen

Flip - Datsyuk - Nyquist

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - White

Quincey - Lashoff

Not really a fair comparison. Guys taken 1st or 3rd overall are expected to be stars and contribute right away. Tarasenko was considered a top talent as well, likely only fell as far as he did due to the Russian factor. And that was a draft with a lot of top talent. We'll get players like that the years after we're bad enough to get picks like that.

I don't think "leaving kids in the minors" is as much a thing as it's made out to be. For the most part our kids stay in the minors because they're either not ready for the NHL, or not significantly better than anyone they might replace. It makes more sense to leave those players in the minors for extra depth rather than give up another player.

How often have we left a kid in the minors when they were actually better than someone on the roster? Helm in '08-09? Maybe Smith last year?

If we'd had a full training camp this year, some of the kids might have made the team. I think maybe management was hoping they would in order give us some trade options. But with the lockout it just makes more sense to stick with what we know, and use the unknowns for extra depth (which, sadly, it seems we're going to need...).