Photo
- - - - -

Calle Jarnkrok - Does he have a chance to make next season's team?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#41 Wingscup

Wingscup

Jr. Prospect

• 17 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

Sweden's lineup against Norway Friday (Aftonbladet, Swedish paper):
Franzén, Zetterberg, Loui Eriksson

Stålberg, Krüger, Alfredsson

Landeskog, Järnkrok, Silfverberg

Niklas Persson (KHL), Joel Lundqvist, Fredrik Pettersson (SEL)

Defense: (No info about the pairings)

Niklas Kronwall, Jonathan Ericsson, Jonas Brodin, Mattias Ekholm, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Victor Hedman, Erik Karlsson, Staffan Kronwall

Goalie:
(My prediction): Viktor Fasth (Anaheim next season)

Edited by Wingscup, 02 May 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#42 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

Sweden's lineup against Norway Friday (Aftonbladet, Swedish paper):
Franzén, Zetterberg, Loui Eriksson

Stålberg, Krüger, Alfredsson

Landeskog, Järnkrok, Silfverberg

Niklas Persson (KHL), Joel Lundqvist, Fredrik Pettersson (SEL)

Defense: (No info about the pairings)

Niklas Kronwall, Jonathan Ericsson, Jonas Brodin, Mattias Ekholm, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Victor Hedman, Erik Karlsson, Staffan Kronwall

Goalie:
(My prediction): Viktor Fasth (Anaheim next season)

Hell yeah! That line's gonna be great.

#43 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

The center depth in a few years might be quite awesome.

Zetterberg/Datsyuk
Filppula/Jarnkrok
Helm/Abdelkader
Andersson/Sheahan/Aubry

#44 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

Hmm...

Parise-Datsyuk-Cleary
Filppula-Zetterberg-Franzen
Andersson-Jarnkrok-Nyquist
Abdelkader-Helm-Mursak

#45 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:41 PM

Size is overrated. Heart, skill, and hockey IQ are more important. Stevie Y was tiny, Selanne, and a whole slew of other players enter the league every season smaller than Iron Hook and they fair just well. I know it's a plus to be big when you enter the league, but it's not the advantage in today's NHL as it was back in the late 80s and 90s. There are many a players who are big that enter the league that are just that, and nothing more, but pylons. Iron Hook, the Sauce, and Gus will all be fine if they played 10-13 minutes a night next season and beyond.

Jarnkrok looks to be at least the third line center for the Swedish team this year with a good chance of being the second line center.

Yzerman was a third overall pick though, his skill was through the roof, Selanne also a high pick. Size is definitely not overrated, and the wings have started drafting more size because the lack of it is hurting.

I think Jarkrok would probably fair well, although he is a diver and a whiner right now, but not with 2 other rookies that are his size or smaller. The skill is important and he has it in spades, and even if you dont value size, its not that a line of Jarnkrok, Nyquist, Tatar would be small. But I would bet height and weight wise it would be the smallest in the league by a fair margin.

They need balance.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#46 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:24 AM

Yzerman was a third overall pick though, his skill was through the roof, Selanne also a high pick. Size is definitely not overrated, and the wings have started drafting more size because the lack of it is hurting.

I think Jarkrok would probably fair well, although he is a diver and a whiner right now, but not with 2 other rookies that are his size or smaller. The skill is important and he has it in spades, and even if you dont value size, its not that a line of Jarnkrok, Nyquist, Tatar would be small. But I would bet height and weight wise it would be the smallest in the league by a fair margin.

They need balance.

Size is important whether it's for the forwards or the dmen but it's far more important to have dmen with size as seen in these playoffs. You need dmen who can block shots and take hits.

But if we're going to worry about size, then based on some of the notoriously bigger teams, size becomes a little less important when it comes to the forwards. What seems to be more important up front is a combination of good speed, work ethic and hockey sense. And yeah, you want some bulk so you throw a significant hit and take a significant hit to make a play.

A lot of the guys on these teams are about 6'0 and 200 lbs. It'd be great if the Wings could get just a little bit bigger with their depth. As far as guys who are at least 6'2 and 220, the Wings have about three and that amount is nearly as much if not actually as much of an amount in comparison to the notoriously bigger teams. The Wings just have a bunch of guys who are 5'10-5'11 and 190 lbs that they perhaps need to upgrade just a little.

I'm just saying that they don't have to search for a bunch of Gaustads to remain competitive in terms of size. Ideally if their main concern was getting bigger then they would acquire one Gaustad and beef up a couple of the other depth guys by one inch and ten pounds and then they'd be around the ballpark of the notoriously bigger teams. And these guys aren't too expensive. The Wings are a smaller team for sure, but it's not AS bad as one might think.

I'm starting to get on board with that idea just because I'm definitely more tired of the guys who are too slow to keep up than the guys who are too small.

Edited by Red Wings Addict, 03 May 2012 - 12:26 AM.

#47 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:37 AM

Hmm...

Parise-Datsyuk-Cleary
Filppula-Zetterberg-Franzen
Andersson-Jarnkrok-NyquistAbdelkader-Helm-Mursak

That's the 3rd line I mentioned on the 2nd page somewhere when i replaced Tatar with Andersson and some of the other guys still blasted me....so I like your 3rd line, looks young and healthy.

Now if we could only replace Franzen with someone who cares. The Wings need a guy in that 2nd line spot that's right handed and has a similar play style to Dustin Brown/Ryan Callahan. If only we had a first round pick to go after one of the prospects with the 18th or so overall pick.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#48 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

That's the 3rd line I mentioned on the 2nd page somewhere when i replaced Tatar with Andersson and some of the other guys still blasted me....so I like your 3rd line, looks young and healthy.

Well I kind of went with players who should be signed/players with no waiver options. If Jarnkrok is good enough to center the third line and Nyquist is one winger then I would hope for a better winger than Andersson for sure in more ideal world. Someone with better speed and finishing ability for sure because Andersson is arguably below average in those areas at the NHL level.

#49 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

He had 1 assist in his first WC game against Norway.

But apparently...

Jarnkrok, who the Red Wings selected in the second round (51st overall) of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, is expected to play next season with Detroit's top farm club in Grand Rapids. He has played in Sweden the last three seasons.

http://www.mlive.com...rd_backsto.html

Hmm... Just Khan being careless or does he know something that we don't?

#50 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

In Babcock's interview with Fox Sports Detroit he said that he doesn't expect any prospects but Nyquist or Smith to crack the roster next year.

He acknowledged that Jarnkrok is an elite talent but said that most draftee's take about 5-7 years to develop. I think he'll start in Grand Rapids for sure but he can play his way into the line-up if he keeps improving like he has.

#51 BamaWing

BamaWing

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

Good to hear. I wish Nbc was playing all games.

Posted Image

#52 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

In Babcock's interview with Fox Sports Detroit he said that he doesn't expect any prospects but Nyquist or Smith to crack the roster next year.

He acknowledged that Jarnkrok is an elite talent but said that most draftee's take about 5-7 years to develop. I think he'll start in Grand Rapids for sure but he can play his way into the line-up if he keeps improving like he has.

Everything I heard from the Swedish media stated that he intends to fulfill his contract with Brynas, which has one more year. I didn't think he'd be in NA at all.

#53 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:50 PM

Everything I heard from the Swedish media stated that he intends to fulfill his contract with Brynas, which has one more year. I didn't think he'd be in NA at all.

That makes even more sense, The Wings generally let even their best prospects (Datsyuk and Zetterberg) get about 2 or 3 years of development before even bringing them over for camp.

2013/2014 should also have more roster spots available giving him a better chance of making the team right away.

#54 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:13 AM

He had 1 assist in his first WC game against Norway.

But apparently...

Hmm... Just Khan being careless or does he know something that we don't?

I don't expect him to play in Grand Rapids. Either he tears it up at camp and forces his way into the lineup next year, or he plays one more year in Brynäs and comes right into the Wings lineup the year after.

This kid is too good to rot away in the AHL. He should be a star in the SEL until he can become a star in the NHL.

#55 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:22 AM

He's playing with GR next year. And that's fine. With all our young talent "supposedly" it would be nice to see some guys rip it up a bit more in the AHL. Nothing wrong with proving yourself to get where you want to be...

#56 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

I don't expect him to play in Grand Rapids. Either he tears it up at camp and forces his way into the lineup next year, or he plays one more year in Brynäs and comes right into the Wings lineup the year after.

This kid is too good to rot away in the AHL. He should be a star in the SEL until he can become a star in the NHL.

Yeah neither do I. I remember an interview last year with Hakan Andersson and he made sure to mention that after Calle's contract with Brynas was up that he would be good enough to make the Wings team. Pretty bold from Mr. Hakan.

Truth be told, we've seen some Swedes in the AHL who I've never though I'd see for too long. Oiler town is the most prominent example in my mind right now; MPS and Omark.

Although "Rot away in the AHL" is kind of harsh. Just so I have it somewhat right, the main reason why non-North Americans don't like the AHL is because they can easily earn more money back at home? And then a secondary reason is the 'quality of hockey/skill'?

#57 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

Although "Rot away in the AHL" is kind of harsh. Just so I have it somewhat right, the main reason why non-North Americans don't like the AHL is because they can easily earn more money back at home? And then a secondary reason is the 'quality of hockey/skill'?

I don't think I've ever heard a swedish player, or any player at all for that matter, say anything good about the life of playing in the AHL. It honestly sounds like a piece of s*** existance.

There's a reason most european players who play in the AHL leave as soon as they realize they won't make the NHL, and honestly I think only a small part of that is the money.

Järnkrok is just too good to have to 'pay his dues' or any BS like that. If he doesn't make the Wings next year, he'll stay in the SEL. I have not heard any reliable source say differently. And if he stays in the SEL, he'll be one of the league's biggest stars. Him and Silfverberg were tearing it up this season and are doing great so far in the WC. Silfverberg is guaranteed a place on the Senators next season. Järnkrok really isn't far behind him.

Unless his development comes to a complete stop, after one more year in the SEL he'll be more than ready to take a 3rd line Center role for the Wings.

#58 Norwegian Red Wing

Norwegian Red Wing

He shoots - He SCOOORES!

• HoF Booster
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

In this swedish article (LINK) both Babcock and Holland say that Järnkrok will have to stay one more season with Brynäs - to build muscles.
"- He is 5 kilos to light to be a top forward in the NHL, Babcock says"
Posted Image

#59 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

I don't think I've ever heard a swedish player, or any player at all for that matter, say anything good about the life of playing in the AHL. It honestly sounds like a piece of s*** existance.

There's a reason most european players who play in the AHL leave as soon as they realize they won't make the NHL, and honestly I think only a small part of that is the money.

Järnkrok is just too good to have to 'pay his dues' or any BS like that. If he doesn't make the Wings next year, he'll stay in the SEL. I have not heard any reliable source say differently. And if he stays in the SEL, he'll be one of the league's biggest stars. Him and Silfverberg were tearing it up this season and are doing great so far in the WC. Silfverberg is guaranteed a place on the Senators next season. Järnkrok really isn't far behind him.

Unless his development comes to a complete stop, after one more year in the SEL he'll be more than ready to take a 3rd line Center role for the Wings.

Another reason that the Europeans would rather stay home and play in the leagues other than the AHL is that a lot of guys in the AHL are pissed that they're there and they play dirty and cheapshot. I saw a decent number of games when the Moose were in Winnipeg and having the Cansucks farm team was no picnic...they played like dicks, aside from Mike Keane. I'd rather play in Europe than the AHL anyday. The only reason that a guy on the cups should come over is to get call-ups and try to stick on the big club.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#60 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,894 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

Perhaps the good Swedish folks here could help me out. How does one pronounce Calle?