8 replies to this topic

#1 Jedi

Jedi

Christmastime is buzzing in my skull...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,827 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=630098

Coaching in the NHL isn't about barking orders at players and expecting them to execute automatically. The best coaches don't just make demands of their players, but are able to explain to them why they're making those demands, and show how going along with them will help the team.

This season, no coaches did that better than Ken Hitchcock of the St. Louis Blues, Paul MacLean of the Ottawa Senators and John Tortorella of the New York Rangers, who have been voted as finalists for the 2012 Jack Adams Award.

Read rest of story for more...

"And the best, I must confess, I have saved for the last, for the ruler of this Christmas land,

is a fearsome king with a deep mighty voice, least, that's what I've come to understand.

And I've also heard it told, that he's something to behold, like a lobster, huge and red!

When he sets out to slay with his rain gear on, carting bulging sacks with his big great arms, that is so I've heard it said.

And on a dark cold night, under full moon light, he flies into a fog like a vulture in the sky!

And they call him Sandy Claws!

#2 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Given that the Jack Adams should be renamed the "coach who for one season got an average team to perform at an above average level and will most likely be out of work in a couple of seasons", then MacLean should be the favourite, although it would be nice to see Hitchcock win it, to make up for the one he didn't win when he was in Dallas.

Really, it is the biggest joke of all the NHL awards. How has Pat freakin Burns got more of them than Scotty Bowman? (3 to 2). Quenville more than Babcock?

[/rant]

Edited by Nev, 30 April 2012 - 11:21 AM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#3 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,858 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

Either Hitch or Maclean are definitely worthy.

#4 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Hitchcock collects every first-place vote on this one.

Given that the Jack Adams should be renamed the "coach who for one season got an average team to perform at an above average level and will most likely be out of work in a couple of seasons", then MacLean should be the favourite, although it would be nice to see Hitchcock win it, to make up for the one he didn't win when he was in Dallas.

Really, it is the biggest joke of all the NHL awards. How has Pat freakin Burns got more of them than Scotty Bowman? (3 to 2). Quenville more than Babcock?

[/rant]

Hitchcock will be out of work in a few seasons, guaranteed. His system works well so long as he's got a team willing to listen. The Blues are a team largely composed of young players who have seen virtually no team success at the NHL level. Once that changes, so will their receptiveness to his system and their willingness to put in the nightly work necessary for it to function.

Edited by Crymson, 30 April 2012 - 11:31 AM.

#5 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

I think Hitchcock will get it. The Blues were lousy, he comes in and they're 2nd in the conference. Can't argue with that.

This trophy means nothing though for the reasons stated earlier, plus if you look at Bylsma, he won it last year, Pens fans and the media want to run him out of town now after his first round loss. This award is quickly forgotten.

#6 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hitchcock will most likely win the award, but I think it's a shame that Dave Tippett didn't get a nomination. Torts is a good coach and all, but he's already won the award and had a pretty stacked team for most of the year. The Coyotes don't really have a core of "superstar" players and managed to end up #3 in the West.

#7 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

Dave Tippett is an excellent coach. He gets the most out of his teams. I think Hitch wins it because before he got there, the Blues were floundering and there is no way they make the playoffs if he doesn't come there. I think MacLean has done a great job in Ottawa as well. That team wasn't even expected to come close to making the playoffs and they took the Rangers to Game 7. I think Tippett has been underrated for years and would like to see him win it eventually. It's still hard for me to believe Babs has never won it.

Edited by Hatethedrake!, 01 May 2012 - 08:49 AM.

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#8 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

Was MacLean that good when he was with us? He got the nod before McLelland. I agree, Tippet should have at least received nomination. Hitch gets the award because it was voted on before playoffs.

#9 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

Stupid, Stupid Columbus.