• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

2011-2012 Jack Adams nominees

Rate this topic

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=630098

Coaching in the NHL isn't about barking orders at players and expecting them to execute automatically. The best coaches don't just make demands of their players, but are able to explain to them why they're making those demands, and show how going along with them will help the team.

This season, no coaches did that better than Ken Hitchcock of the St. Louis Blues, Paul MacLean of the Ottawa Senators and John Tortorella of the New York Rangers, who have been voted as finalists for the 2012 Jack Adams Award.

Read rest of story for more...

Given that the Jack Adams should be renamed the "coach who for one season got an average team to perform at an above average level and will most likely be out of work in a couple of seasons", then MacLean should be the favourite, although it would be nice to see Hitchcock win it, to make up for the one he didn't win when he was in Dallas.

Really, it is the biggest joke of all the NHL awards. How has Pat freakin Burns got more of them than Scotty Bowman? (3 to 2). Quenville more than Babcock?

[/rant]

Edited by Nev

Guest Crymson

I wouldn't be surprised if Hitchcock collects every first-place vote on this one.

Given that the Jack Adams should be renamed the "coach who for one season got an average team to perform at an above average level and will most likely be out of work in a couple of seasons", then MacLean should be the favourite, although it would be nice to see Hitchcock win it, to make up for the one he didn't win when he was in Dallas.

Really, it is the biggest joke of all the NHL awards. How has Pat freakin Burns got more of them than Scotty Bowman? (3 to 2). Quenville more than Babcock?

[/rant]

Hitchcock will be out of work in a few seasons, guaranteed. His system works well so long as he's got a team willing to listen. The Blues are a team largely composed of young players who have seen virtually no team success at the NHL level. Once that changes, so will their receptiveness to his system and their willingness to put in the nightly work necessary for it to function.

Edited by Crymson

I think Hitchcock will get it. The Blues were lousy, he comes in and they're 2nd in the conference. Can't argue with that.

This trophy means nothing though for the reasons stated earlier, plus if you look at Bylsma, he won it last year, Pens fans and the media want to run him out of town now after his first round loss. This award is quickly forgotten.

Hitchcock will most likely win the award, but I think it's a shame that Dave Tippett didn't get a nomination. Torts is a good coach and all, but he's already won the award and had a pretty stacked team for most of the year. The Coyotes don't really have a core of "superstar" players and managed to end up #3 in the West.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Dave Tippett is an excellent coach. He gets the most out of his teams. I think Hitch wins it because before he got there, the Blues were floundering and there is no way they make the playoffs if he doesn't come there. I think MacLean has done a great job in Ottawa as well. That team wasn't even expected to come close to making the playoffs and they took the Rangers to Game 7. I think Tippett has been underrated for years and would like to see him win it eventually. It's still hard for me to believe Babs has never won it.

Edited by Hatethedrake!