• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Jimmy Devellano believes salary cap will increase

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

boy oh boy

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/05/wed_like_to_get_a_bit_bigger_a.html

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Zach Parise ($7.000m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Shane Doan ($5.000m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Darren Helm ($1.400m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.300m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($7.000m)

Nicklas Lidstrom ($4.800m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,992,045; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $7,955

Edited by blueadams

I'd hold off on the celebrations about possible salary cap increases for the moment. They still have a CBA to agree upon, and who knows what might come from that...

the question this how does this enable other teams like nashville and NJ to retain these players now that they have more room?

Yeah, that's basically what I was saying too.

I;m less worried about the NJs and Nashvilles of the world who have team-imposed caps. It's the Rangers, Canucks, Flyers, Penguins, Hawks, etc that scare me.

yeah, obviously nothing is set. I wouldnt be so worried about a team like NSH of NJ because they're teams that have financial issues and regardless of what the cap number is teams like that will have self-imposed numbers. The real issue, to me, would be teams that need to reach the cap floor (i.e FLO last year). I'm not saying Suter or Parise are guys who would chase money and nothing more but ya never know. Plus, teams that need someone legit to get excited about (CBJ) may make a much crazier push. A team like CBJ could market their team around someone like Parise - especially if they do indeed move Nash - and to them it will be about much more than landing a player to be competitive.

<br />The Wings already had an advantage with tons of cap space. This just makes the competition for Parise/Suter all the greater.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

It would then stay exactly the same.

If this is true not only is the cap floor gonna be scary, as well as the competitive teams against the cap but, players are gonna want more money. If owners want a bigger piece of the pie then I bet the players are gonna be looking for more as well.

If that happens, expect Parise to get 8 to almost 9 million a season and Suter to get around 8 million. Who knows though.

the question this how does this enable other teams like nashville and NJ to retain these players now that they have more room?

They have financial issues and I don't see them spending anywhere near 70 million next year. Nashville are the Minnesota Twins of hockey, they put together a good team most years on peanuts.

Edited by Shaman464

He also said in that interview that the Wings are looking to get bigger and "tougher" due to the belief of there being a trend in physical play and success recently. So I'd expect at least one new 4th line addition in the Prust/Gaustad mould.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kindl moved, Smith paired with a returning Lidstrom and a physical dman added as well. Someone who isn't called Mike Commodore and can actually get along with Babs.

If Hudler doesn't return, I will be happy. No point spending money on regular season goals if they mean nothing come playoff time, especially as he will probably be able to get more on the market. Let him go I say!

I'll play along for once.

FORWARDS

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Zach Parise ($7.500m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($1.400m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Cody McLeod ($1.500m) / Paul Gaustad ($2.900) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.300m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($4.800m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.550m)

Bryan Allen ($3.575m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

Cap Used: $68.6m

Cap space: $1.4m

Hmm. I've tried to make a roster that allows for balanced lines. The second line is a bit all skill not grit, although theoretically if Franzen actually used his size and gave 100% effort it would be fine. Defence is virtually the same but with Smith coming in for Stuart and Allen coming in for extra size in rotation. I don't see us having room for Suter if Lidstrom returns. Given how badly Stuart played last season, that's an improvement anyway. Forwards wise, a straight swap of Hudler for Parise with Nyquist coming in full time and a tough, net-driving 4th line to get the garbage goals.

Hurray. NHL12 experience put into practice.

He also said in that interview that the Wings are looking to get bigger and "tougher" due to the belief of there being a trend in physical play and success recently. So I'd expect at least one new 4th line addition in the Prust/Gaustad mould.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kindl moved, Smith paired with a returning Lidstrom and a physical dman added as well. Someone who isn't called Mike Commodore and can actually get along with Babs.

If Hudler doesn't return, I will be happy. No point spending money on regular season goals if they mean nothing come playoff time, especially as he will probably be able to get more on the market. Let him go I say!

I'll play along for once.

FORWARDS

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Zach Parise ($7.500m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($1.400m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Cody McLeod ($1.500m) / Paul Gaustad ($2.900) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.300m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($4.800m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.550m)

Bryan Allen ($3.575m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

Cap Used: $68.6m

Cap space: $1.4m

Hmm. I've tried to make a roster that allows for balanced lines. The second line is a bit all skill not grit, although theoretically if Franzen actually used his size and gave 100% effort it would be fine. Defence is virtually the same but with Smith coming in for Stuart and Allen coming in for extra size in rotation. I don't see us having room for Suter if Lidstrom returns. Given how badly Stuart played last season, that's an improvement anyway. Forwards wise, a straight swap of Hudler for Parise with Nyquist coming in full time and a tough, net-driving 4th line to get the garbage goals.

Hurray. NHL12 experience put into practice.

Too much for a flavor of the month player. There are a number of players in and outside the Wing's system that can do what he does (grit+faceoffs) for a lot less than near 3 million a year. Only other problem is Cleary... hes just lost his edge in every sense of the words, no grit, no skill, just floats.... he should not be on the first line.

I think that $4.8 is way too much of a hometown discount for Nick, OP.

I just worked through a line-up with a cap of $69.3 mil and got this:

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($8.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Paul Gaustad ($3.000m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Darren Helm ($1.000m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.900m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m) / Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($4.000m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Shane O'Brien ($2.000m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Josh Harding ($1.000m)

------

SALARY CAP: $69,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,308,712; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $991,288

New acquisitions are italicized. I disagree with you about Gaustad, Shaman (obviously). He's someone the Wings looked at during the deadline and is making $3.5 a year on his current contract. His face-off percentages are great and he adds some of that size and grit that Babcock had mentioned wanting. O'Brien is essentially a [insert size/grit here] filler - he himself could be interchangeable with a number of players of that style, but I had to pick one.

Too much for a flavor of the month player. There are a number of players in and outside the Wing's system that can do what he does (grit+faceoffs) for a lot less than near 3 million a year. Only other problem is Cleary... hes just lost his edge in every sense of the words, no grit, no skill, just floats.... he should not be on the first line.

He had knee issues this season and I'm confident he could be back to his best next year. His net presence on the first line would be very useful as well.

He had knee issues this season and I'm confident he could be back to his best next year. His net presence on the first line would be very useful as well.

I seriously doubt it, he's a borderline 2nd-3rd line player using him on the first line won't make him better, it'll make the first line worse.

Let me try my hand at it...

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.250m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Jiri Hudler ($3.000m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Darren Helm ($1.750m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.700m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($4.250m) / Ryan Suter ($7.500m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

------

SALARY CAP: $68,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,408,712; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $891,288

Nyquist and Franzen can switch places depending on whether Franzen is playing with an ounce of effort (so I'm assuming they'll play 50/50 on each line).

Initial Assumptions:

The cap goes up by 4 million (less than Jimmy D thinks it will go up by but still quite a bit)

The NHL and NHLPA sign a new CBA that's essentially an extension of the current one with few changes in terms of the salary cap ceiling (a possible amnesty rule would make things very interesting). Assuming there will be a significant change in the cap mechanics makes all of these fantasy threads pointless.

Signings:

1) Lidstrom comes back at 4.25million. It's a discount to be sure but he just had a brutal offensive year compared to his past numbers. I think that's a fair number for him to take in light of the next two signings (he'd obviously be taking the number specifically so the Wings can make this splash.

2) Sutter for 5 years at $7.5 million cap hit. This is pretty pricey given the term and how little we know about just how his pairing with Weber influences his numbers. I imagine he might want more term but he'd have to give a better discount.

3) Parise for 5 years at $7.25 million cap hit. Not cheap. I can imagine the hit coming under 7 mil if they offer him 7 to 8 years term.

4) Hudler for 3 years at $3 million cap hit. Again, a discount, but Hudler recently learned that the grass isn't greener on the other side (see: KHL exodus and painful NHL return). The numbers he puts up make this deal good for the Wings because they know he can produce in less than 16mins a game. Hudler might cost a bit more. If he does there's always other options out there.

5) Helm for 5 years at $1.75 million cap hit. He doesn't get a ton of money but it's a fair value and comes with very attractive term.

6) Let Abdelkader walk and sign Konopka to a contract that's near identical to his current one. Konopka has one of the best face-off percentages in the entire league (6th best among centres who played at least 50 games). He's big, tough and a great lockerroom guy by all reports. Why make this signing? Well Abdelkader doesn't provide much in the way of offense or even defense. He can skate/hit, yes, but he's certainly expendable. I can imagine the Wings dropping Miller or Eaves to keep Abs in this situation if only for his value on the forecheck. Still, Konopka's FO% is so damn good (and consistently good over the years) that he would be of great use. It doesn't hurt that he can throw some fists, either. His elite face-off numbers continued into the playoffs this year: 3rd in the league at 70.7% while playing 11mins a game and maintaining a +2 (2nd best among his team's forwards).

Edited by Drake_Marcus

He was tied for 1st on the team in playoff goals scored and in playoff powerplay goals... you're a year late bro.

I seriously doubt it, he's a borderline 2nd-3rd line player using him on the first line won't make him better, it'll make the first line worse.

Cleary scores 20 next season...I would bet good money on that

Let me try my hand at it...

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.250m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Jiri Hudler ($3.000m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Darren Helm ($1.750m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.700m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($4.250m) / Ryan Suter ($7.500m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

------

SALARY CAP: $68,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,408,712; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $891,288

Nyquist and Franzen can switch places depending on whether Franzen is playing with an ounce of effort (so I'm assuming they'll play 50/50 on each line).

I think this is [mostly] ideal for anyone with hopes for this Summer. Personally, I'd like an upgrade behind Jimmy. I know Joey Mac has been good, but I always feel like the wheels are about to fall off. For sentimentality sake I'd love to keep Abdelkader, but if I'm completely objective – Konopka seems like a major upgrade (though I am admittedly unfamiliar with him).

EDIT: I also agree that Nyquist is capable of being a difference-maker on this team on a full time basis. Here is a thought that I just had while watching Flyers / Devils highlights, though. Didn't Parise say that his biggest goal is to be on a cup contender? What if the Devils advance and he begins to see New Jersey in a different light?

Edited by Travis

He was tied for 1st on the team in playoff goals scored and in playoff powerplay goals... you're a year late bro.

Wow, he had two playoff points and was invisible for 99% of the time.

Bring him back for next year :clap:

Personally, I'm of the opinion that it's irrelevent whether Jersey wins the cup or not (for Parise's potential departure). I think that even if the Devils were to win this year that the team's financial instability casts a significant shadow of doubt on the future. Not in terms of whether or not the Devils would fork over the money to sign Parise today but more so in terms of if they will be able to ice a competitive, money spending team in the future (throughout Parise's tenure with the team moving forward).

I think the Devils got in bed with Kovalchuk and I just dont see a team who lost in the neighbourhood of $20M being able to sign another monster contract while telling it's players that they will spend to stay contenders for years to come.

Wow, he had two playoff points and was invisible for 99% of the time.

Bring him back for next year :clap:

That's blind hatred right there...or at least seems to be. Say what you will about Hudler but he earned his money this year and came through with goals at some tough times.

I personally would rather see the Wings throw ~$3M to some one like David Jones while letting Hudler walk but it's not because he stunk.

That's blind hatred right there...

In what sense? Just because I say his playoff performance shouldn't immediately earn him a spot on next seasons roster, especially given the salary he'll be demanding?

He's a sniper who didn't show up as one in the playoffs. Both his playoff goals were scored in front of the net. If we want someone to do that we might as well bring back Holmstrom at a fraction of the cost and spend the cap money on a sniper that could actually turn up as one come post season.