• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Jimmy Devellano believes salary cap will increase

Rate this topic

In what sense? Just because I say his playoff performance shouldn't immediately earn him a spot on next seasons roster, especially given the salary he'll be demanding?

He's a sniper who didn't show up as one in the playoffs. Both his playoff goals were scored in front of the net. If we want someone to do that we might as well bring back Holmstrom at a fraction of the cost and spend the cap money on a sniper that could actually turn up as one come post season.

First off, I agreed in saying I didn't think Hudler should come back.

Secondly, Jiri Hudler is not a sniper - never has been and never will be one. He has always been a pass first player who has a pretty solid shot. He scored his goals in the playoffs the exact same way he scored the bulk of his regular season goals. He routinely set up in front of the net all season long.

To me, when people make posts like yours above I honestly wonder if we were watching the same team all year. I'm not trying to insult you but I really don't understand your point of view. When i read posts like that it comes across, to me, as though you just hate him so badly that you just flat out don't want him back on the Wings next year so you look to chastise his game in any fashion you can. Whether that is in fact what you are doing or not, i dont know. But that's the way it comes across.

First off, I agreed in saying I didn't think Hudler should come back.

Secondly, Jiri Hudler is not a sniper - never has been and never will be one. He has always been a pass first player who has a pretty solid shot. He scored his goals in the playoffs the exact same way he scored the bulk of his regular season goals. He routinely set up in front of the net all season long.

To me, when people make posts like yours above I honestly wonder if we were watching the same team all year. I'm not trying to insult you but I really don't understand your point of view. When i read posts like that it comes across, to me, as though you just hate him so badly that you just flat out don't want him back on the Wings next year so you look to chastise his game in any fashion you can. Whether that is in fact what you are doing or not, i dont know. But that's the way it comes across.

Each to their own :thumbup: As to being a sniper or not, I'm pretty sure he's got a pretty high shooting %. Just checked and its 19.7%, ranked 25th in the league. That's sniper territory, surely?

There are many reasons I wouldn't choose to bring back Hudler. He's just not the type of hockey player I would have on my roster, given his salary and physical and defensive shortcomings.

Each to their own :thumbup: As to being a sniper or not, I'm pretty sure he's got a pretty high shooting %. Just checked and its 19.7%, ranked 25th in the league. That's sniper territory, surely?

There are many reasons I wouldn't choose to bring back Hudler. He's just not the type of hockey player I would have on my roster, given his salary and physical and defensive shortcomings.

If you define a sniper purely based on his shooting percentage then so be it. To me, being a sniper is about the areas of the ice you frequent, the shoot first or pass first mentality you have and the types of goals you score. Semin is a sniper (despite his lower goal output this year). Hudler is a pass first player who happened to have a high shooting percentage this year. To me, that doesnt make him a sniper.

Matthieu Perrault (WSH) had a 26.7 SH% on 16 goals. But I definitely do not consider him a sniper. Just take a look at all the top goal scorers in the league this season. Some would be classified as snipers and others as goal scorers (meaning how they schore their goals). But one thing you'll notice is not many of them had really high shooting percentages.

Also, as I noted in my original post I agree that I would prefer a different type of player to take Hudler's spot this year. I mentioned a guy like David Jones because he is big, skates well, is right handed and scores on par (approximately - this year a handful less and last year he potted 27) with Hudler. He is also priced about where Hudler was/is/will be.

Wow, he had two playoff points and was invisible for 99% of the time.

Bring him back for next year :clap:

Great logic! We should trade everyone in that case since relative performance doesn't matter now and the entire team failed to advance.

He's a sniper who didn't show up as one in the playoffs. Both his playoff goals were scored in front of the net. If we want someone to do that we might as well bring back Holmstrom at a fraction of the cost and spend the cap money on a sniper that could actually turn up as one come post season.

:lol: Wait a sec... your argument is that while Hudler was tied for the most goals scored on the team in the playoffs, he didn't "show up" as a goal scorer because they were net-front goals (see: playoff goals).

So there's three options:

1) In your mind two dirty goals is worth less than two 'sniped' goals

2) You hate Hudler on a fundamental level and have spit on him at every opertunity for his entire career here because he's small and not physical.

3) He banged your Mom and you hate him because of that (which is totally fair, I can finally understand your hate for him if this is true).

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Unless it stops us from making a trade or signing a FA, I'm all for bring back Hudler at $3m/year for a few more years. He's a 20 goal/25-30 assist guy, all said and done. At that rate he's a giant steal. Anything south of $3.5m/yr I'm in.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Suter or Parise would be a beauty and a half. I'm could go wither way on Hudler. Stays or peaces out, I'm indifferent about it. Can't say he didn't have a nice regular season and an above average (for the Wings) playoff series. But I'll throw another (unrealistic) option out there.

I would gladly give up a couple RFA compensation picks for Avs center Ryan O'Reilly. Sadly, COL probably is 99.9% sure they have a stud on their hands. Helm moved down to the 4th line between Miller and Eaves would be a machine once again. May mean Abbs is shown the door, but O'Reilly is younger by a couple, the same size, and uses that size to his advantage on a more consistent basis already.

Fun to dream about...

Edited by WhiteLightning91

Suter or Parise would be a beauty and a half. I'm could go wither way on Hudler. Stays or peaces out, I'm indifferent about it. Can't say he didn't have a nice regular season and an above average (for the Wings) playoff series. But I'll throw another (unrealistic) option out there.

I would gladly give up a couple RFA compensation picks for Avs center Ryan O'Reilly. Sadly, COL probably is 99.9% sure they have a stud on their hands. Helm moved down to the 4th line between Miller and Eaves would be a machine once again. May mean Abbs is shown the door, but O'Reilly is younger by a couple, the same size, and uses that size to his advantage on a more consistent basis already.

Fun to dream about...

Is your name Adrian Dater? Hehe. He said the same thing about O'Reilly.

Does anyone think a Trade involving Franzen may be in the works??? Somehow I think there is, his comments after the Nashville series along with some tensions in the club house with Babs shows me that there is something going on there. I would not shed one tear if Franzen was gone! Sorry Guys/Gals.

Does anyone think a Trade involving Franzen may be in the works???

Doubt it.

Thing is, Franzen is our one legitimate power-forward. And he's not a legitimate power-forward. So, unless we're getting a Corey Perry or a Rick Nash in return and/or inking Dustin Penner, I don't see it happening.

And, of course, there's his contract....

I can understand thinking Franzen's contract is long, but its not like he's overpaid. His cap hit is actually quite good considering the production you get for it.

There is a long list of forwards who get paid more than him who produced a lot less than his 56 pts.

Brooks Laich (41), Ryan Kesler (49) David Booth (30), Ville Leino (25), Derek Roy (44), Drew Stafford (50), Brad Boyes (23), Mike Cammalleri (41), Jordan Staal (50), MIke RIchards (44), Jeff Carter (34), Dustin Penner (17), Brian Rolston (24), Nathan Horton (32), Tim Connelly (36), Ryan Callahan (54), Brandon Dubinsky (34), Scott Gomez (11), Tomas Plekanec (52), Jason Blake (12), Ryan Smyth (46), Shawn Horcoff (34), Ryan Malone (48), Vinny Lecavalier (49), David Backes (54), Shayne Doan (50), Damon Langkow (30), Dany Heatley (53), Mikka Koivu (44), David Legwand (53), Mike Fisher (51), Andrew Ladd (50), Nik Antropov (35), Paul Stastny (53), and Brendan Morrow (26)

It would be great if the Cap did increas for next season that way the Wings could still go after who they want in the Free Agent Market and keep Lidstrom if he decides to come back. If Liddy does retire it would give us even more space to make the team even better by bringing in some new blood and bring up some guys from GR. So hopefully the Cap does increas becasue it would really open more does for Detroit and give them more options and that's always good to have.

If the Wings choose not to go after a solid bottom six center to really solidify the depth then they'll probably go with the three scoring lines option, which has shown to be quite ugly in the past at times (Remember Leino-Filppula-Williams? Ugh.) but also quite effective at times (Hudler-Filppula-Samuelsson, at least during the regular season).

If they try to go with three scoring lines then I'd really like to see something like this:

Parise-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Cleary

Franzen-Filppula-Eaves/Miller

Abdelkader-Helm-Mursak

And no I'm really not trying to demote Franzen and/or Filppula. I just think that kind of balance would be quite nice BUT only if Nyquist approaches his first full NHL season with absolutely no fear like he did his first AHL season and if Cleary redeems himself or at least finds a way to not be injured as much.

I know Franzen's getting paid a lot but if you could find a way to have such a balance that he plays on the third line then yeah, it would be quite nice. You could switch Franzen with Nyquist but then the third line simply doesn't look as dangerous on paper.

If the Wings choose not to go after a solid bottom six center to really solidify the depth then they'll probably go with the three scoring lines option, which has shown to be quite ugly in the past at times (Remember Leino-Filppula-Williams? Ugh.) but also quite effective at times (Hudler-Filppula-Samuelsson, at least during the regular season).

If they try to go with three scoring lines then I'd really like to see something like this:

Parise-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Cleary

Franzen-Filppula-Eaves/Miller

Abdelkader-Helm-Mursak

And no I'm really not trying to demote Franzen and/or Filppula. I just think that kind of balance would be quite nice BUT only if Nyquist approaches his first full NHL season with absolutely no fear like he did his first AHL season and if Cleary redeems himself or at least finds a way to not be injured as much.

I know Franzen's getting paid a lot but if you could find a way to have such a balance that he plays on the third line then yeah, it would be quite nice. You could switch Franzen with Nyquist but then the third line simply doesn't look as dangerous on paper.

I agree. If somehow we can fill up our top two lines without having to use Franzen and put him on the third line, we would be incredibly difficult to play against. Bert and/or Cleary shouldn't be on the top two, but Filppula should. He had great chemistry with Z this year. Helm is more than capable of being the third line center, whether is a checking or scoring line.

It would be great if the Cap did increas for next season that way the Wings could still go after who they want in the Free Agent Market and keep Lidstrom if he decides to come back. If Liddy does retire it would give us even more space to make the team even better by bringing in some new blood and bring up some guys from GR. So hopefully the Cap does increas becasue it would really open more does for Detroit and give them more options and that's always good to have.

Yes, here is my $70M Cap Roster:

Zach Parise ($7.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($1.250m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.000m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($7.500m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Tomas Vokoun ($1.250m)

------

SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,142,045; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,357,955

If Eaves isn't gonna be healthy, then get Moen...

I agree. If somehow we can fill up our top two lines without having to use Franzen and put him on the third line, we would be incredibly difficult to play against. Bert and/or Cleary shouldn't be on the top two, but Filppula should. He had great chemistry with Z this year. Helm is more than capable of being the third line center, whether is a checking or scoring line.

I actually agree that Filppula shouldn't be the third line center. At the same time, it's all about a good fit. If Franzen is on the third line then you need a center who is at least like Filppula, especially since they've had good chemistry in the past. If they acquire a solid and skilled center for the third line then keep Fil in the top six. But right now they don't have that guy and Fil is a better fit and a bigger threat next to Mule on the third line.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Is everyone leaving Mursak off their "rosters" because they don't wanna see him back or due to forgetfulness?

I have Mursak as depth on my roster for next season...

Parise-Datsyuk-Nyquist

Filppula-Zetterberg-Franzen

Cleary-Helm-Bertuzzi

Moen-Abdelkader-Eaves

Miller, Mursak

Lidstrom-Suter

Kronwall-White

Ericsson-Smith

Kindl

Howard-Harding