• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

It would be great if the Cap did increas for next season that way the Wings could still go after who they want in the Free Agent Market and keep Lidstrom if he decides to come back. If Liddy does retire it would give us even more space to make the team even better by bringing in some new blood and bring up some guys from GR. So hopefully the Cap does increas becasue it would really open more does for Detroit and give them more options and that's always good to have.

#42 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:57 AM

If the Wings choose not to go after a solid bottom six center to really solidify the depth then they'll probably go with the three scoring lines option, which has shown to be quite ugly in the past at times (Remember Leino-Filppula-Williams? Ugh.) but also quite effective at times (Hudler-Filppula-Samuelsson, at least during the regular season).

If they try to go with three scoring lines then I'd really like to see something like this:

Parise-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Cleary
Franzen-Filppula-Eaves/Miller
Abdelkader-Helm-Mursak

And no I'm really not trying to demote Franzen and/or Filppula. I just think that kind of balance would be quite nice BUT only if Nyquist approaches his first full NHL season with absolutely no fear like he did his first AHL season and if Cleary redeems himself or at least finds a way to not be injured as much.

I know Franzen's getting paid a lot but if you could find a way to have such a balance that he plays on the third line then yeah, it would be quite nice. You could switch Franzen with Nyquist but then the third line simply doesn't look as dangerous on paper.

#43 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

If the Wings choose not to go after a solid bottom six center to really solidify the depth then they'll probably go with the three scoring lines option, which has shown to be quite ugly in the past at times (Remember Leino-Filppula-Williams? Ugh.) but also quite effective at times (Hudler-Filppula-Samuelsson, at least during the regular season).

If they try to go with three scoring lines then I'd really like to see something like this:

Parise-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Cleary
Franzen-Filppula-Eaves/Miller
Abdelkader-Helm-Mursak

And no I'm really not trying to demote Franzen and/or Filppula. I just think that kind of balance would be quite nice BUT only if Nyquist approaches his first full NHL season with absolutely no fear like he did his first AHL season and if Cleary redeems himself or at least finds a way to not be injured as much.

I know Franzen's getting paid a lot but if you could find a way to have such a balance that he plays on the third line then yeah, it would be quite nice. You could switch Franzen with Nyquist but then the third line simply doesn't look as dangerous on paper.

I agree. If somehow we can fill up our top two lines without having to use Franzen and put him on the third line, we would be incredibly difficult to play against. Bert and/or Cleary shouldn't be on the top two, but Filppula should. He had great chemistry with Z this year. Helm is more than capable of being the third line center, whether is a checking or scoring line.

#44 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,698 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

It would be great if the Cap did increas for next season that way the Wings could still go after who they want in the Free Agent Market and keep Lidstrom if he decides to come back. If Liddy does retire it would give us even more space to make the team even better by bringing in some new blood and bring up some guys from GR. So hopefully the Cap does increas becasue it would really open more does for Detroit and give them more options and that's always good to have.

Yes, here is my $70M Cap Roster:

Zach Parise ($7.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m)
Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($1.250m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.000m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($7.500m)
Ian White ($2.875m) / Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Tomas Vokoun ($1.250m)
------

SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,142,045; BONUSES: $37,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,357,955

If Eaves isn't gonna be healthy, then get Moen...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#45 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

I agree. If somehow we can fill up our top two lines without having to use Franzen and put him on the third line, we would be incredibly difficult to play against. Bert and/or Cleary shouldn't be on the top two, but Filppula should. He had great chemistry with Z this year. Helm is more than capable of being the third line center, whether is a checking or scoring line.

I actually agree that Filppula shouldn't be the third line center. At the same time, it's all about a good fit. If Franzen is on the third line then you need a center who is at least like Filppula, especially since they've had good chemistry in the past. If they acquire a solid and skilled center for the third line then keep Fil in the top six. But right now they don't have that guy and Fil is a better fit and a bigger threat next to Mule on the third line.

#46 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

Babs rates Helm as one of the best third-line centers in the league. I think, regardless of whether that's accurate or not, we can take it to mean the position is filled. Now, the fourth line, on the other hand....

Don't Toews me, bro!

#47 WhiteLightning91

WhiteLightning91

Feed the Mule!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

Is everyone leaving Mursak off their "rosters" because they don't wanna see him back or due to forgetfulness?

GMRwings1983: "Hudler has been stellar"

#48 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

Is everyone leaving Mursak off their "rosters" because they don't wanna see him back or due to forgetfulness?

I have Mursak as depth on my roster for next season...

Parise-Datsyuk-Nyquist

Filppula-Zetterberg-Franzen

Cleary-Helm-Bertuzzi

Moen-Abdelkader-Eaves

Miller, Mursak

Lidstrom-Suter

Kronwall-White

Ericsson-Smith

Kindl

Howard-Harding
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams