• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LidstromIsASuperhero

Will the Wings keep Kyle Quincey?

Rate this topic

I think it would be generally agreed upon that Kyle Quincey was pretty underwhelming during his latest tenure with the team. Coupling that with the fact that Red Wings management has mentioned our desire to acquire another defenseman as well as mentioning that Smith will be on the roster next year, does this really leave room for Kyle Quincey if Lidstrom stays another year? He is a restricted free agent, but his contract is expiring so we really have three different options:

1. Let him walk.

2. Sign him.

3. Extend to him a qualifying offer.

I feel like option 3 would be in the team's best interest. This way, he either signs for the lowest amount he can for, or another team offers him a contract that we either have the opportunity to match or receive draft pick compensation if he signs with the other team. Arbitration though, I think would be an obstacle to this. Assuming Stuart leaves, we could wind up with, best case scenario imho:

Lidstrom-Suter

Kronwall-White

Ericsson-Smith

Kindl

Or, worst case scenario, something like this:

Kronwall-White

Ericsson-Quincey

Kindl-Smith

Whoever

Or anywhere in between really. What do you guys think?

I don't imagine the Wings would have acquired him if they hadn't planned on keeping him around. That said, I don't know if they got exactly what they were hoping for, overall. I would imagine the Wings attempt to re-sign him as a replacement for Brad Stuart.

I think he was a disappointment overall. He had a few pretty brilliant defensive plays in one or two of the playoff games, but other than that, made some glaring mistakes which ended up costing the Wings. The Wings probably thought they were getting a bit better than Quincey provided, but they'll likely extend a qualifying offer instead of lose him for nothing (again). Unfortunately, his stock is too low to tempt other offer sheets given the compensation. I'm predicting he is back, hopefully on a short-term, for around Ericsson's hit.

Kronwall-White

Ericsson-Quincey

Kindl-Smith

Whoever

Wow! I never considered this to be a possibility, but I guess it could happen. If that's our defense, we may not make the playoffs, plain and simple. Keeping on topic, I think Quincey stays. We'll offer him a one or two year deal at the same price. With the cap going up and defensemen being overpaid in the market, keeping his salary the same is the equivalent of giving him less. You can't give up a 1st round pick for a guy that's basically a rental. Give him at least a whole season on your team, in your system, then make the determination if he's worth a roster spot next year.

Edited by xtrememachine1

I really didn't like the way this deal went down to get him this season. We had to give up our 1st Round Draft Pick this season as well as Piche and even though it wasn't the same deal we essentially gave up Commodore as well. Quincey was only a 3rd round pick so giving up a 1st for him IMO was stupid. I know the Wings have a good history of being able to pick good players late in the draft but giving up a 1st round pick at anytime kills me, whether we have the 1st or the 30th Overall. With so many questions being asked about our Defense it's really hard to say whether Quincey would be back or not next season. I do agree with Travis in the fact that I couldn't see them getting him back if they didn't plan on keeping him. I do like the options of extending him a qualifing offer that way we'd either get him or we'd get something out of it for him. You have to assume that Smith will be up next season no matter what. I hate the thought of losing both Stuart and Lidstrom in one off-season but I'm at the point that I'd rather see Liddy go now that way we have a good chance at getting a suitable replacement for him in Free Agency. It really wouldn't matter to me either way if we kept Quincey or not, we just need a change so that we can get back into being a better contender for the Cup.

Offer him a 5 year $3M per contract. A bit less money, but more security and more money to make the team better. If he doesn't agree, then let him decide what he wants to do. Get the 1st and 3rd round draft picks if he signs for more that elsewhere...Win-Win situation.

That second group of D pairings made me throw up in my mouth a little....

Setting aside the fact that we let Quincy go for nothing I think we overpaid to get him back. He's nothing better than a 4th defenseman on a good team. I think he's better than he played during this brief stretch with the Wings though. I think with the possibility of losing Lidstrom and Stuart and not signing Suter you have to make a 3 yr deal with Quincy.

He was the Wing's worst defenseman on most nights. Holland got fleeced in that deal. However, Holland couldn't have known that Kyle would be that terrible.

Kronwall is up and down. He'll look fantastic for a while, then he'll look mediocre to bad. Stuart has been no good for 2 seasons now. That leaves White, Ericsson, and Lids. If Lids re-signs and we bring up smith we could easily let Q walk if we can replace him with a FA upgrade.

Kronwall - UFA

Lidstrom - E

Smith - White

Kindl

Although I do think that a lot of times when the D looked bad it was because there was little to no support from the forwards. Outside of Z, Dats, Helm, and Miller no forward wanted to play defense in their own zone.

Wow! I never considered this to be a possibility, but I guess it could happen. If that's our defense, we may not make the playoffs, plain and simple. Keeping on topic, I think Quincey stays. We'll offer him a one or two year deal at the same price. With the cap going up and defensemen being overpaid in the market, keeping his salary the same is the equivalent of giving him less. You can't give up a 1st round pick for a guy that's basically a rental. Give him at least a whole season on your team, in your system, then make the determination if he's worth a roster spot next year.

Agreed. Like him or not, I think Quincey is probably here next season.

He certainly wasn't great, but I'm holding out hope he could be a decent middle pairing guy next season. A sort of Stuart replacement.

All I can say is Smith better be in the lineup next year, even if it means putting Kindl on waivers.

I highly doubt you give up a 1st round draft pick in a season deadline trade and the person you get in return, you let him walk after the season is done.

He wasn't great as the late season/playoffs went on, I was ready to put the entire game 5 loss on him when he made that awful turnover to Nashville's first goal, but the series loss wasn't all him obviously.

I think he'll be a reliable 2nd/3rd line d-man, hopefully can play both PP and PK effectively.

We spent a 1st on him, he stays if only for the hope that he will round into form after a full season in the Wings playing system.

Defense will look like:

Lidstrom-White

Kronwall-(Insert Acquisition here)

Quincey-Ericsson

Smith

I imagine Quincey and Smith (for some reason Ericsson is untouchable) will have to compete for playing time.

Ideally they'd have Smith play every game, so it's possible Quincey could be packaged. I just don't see him adding any real value to a trade deal, though.

We spent a 1st on him, he stays if only for the hope that he will round into form after a full season in the Wings playing system.

Defense will look like:

Lidstrom-White

Quincey-Ericsson

Smith

I imagine Quincey and Smith (for some reason Ericsson is untouchable) will have to compete for playing time.

Ideally they'd have Smith play every game, so it's possible Quincey could be packaged. I just don't see him adding any real value to a trade deal, though.

Well there's also Kindl.

A part of me thinks the Wings will slot Ericsson as their #4 (or Kronner's new partner in general) and here's my sense of why they might do that.

1. He does have the potential to do a good job.

2. They'll cite his history of playing well with Kronwall. (Which I agree with, plus in theory the pair should be better after a training camp and 20+ games)

3. In the minds of the Wings, he had a pretty good playoff performance. (I don't know about pretty good. Perhaps solid is more like it. He did his fair share.)

4. He's been learning from Stuart for some time now. (No doubt, but what is the finished product like these days?)

5. His contract. (Yeah.)

6. There has to be more. I just can't think of it.

I'm not an Ericsson hater, really. I'm just still a little bit skeptical. The good thing is that he and Quincey will probably compete hard for that spot and whoever wins it will have to really keep sharp knowing that the team legitimately has someone that's itching to take it from them.

I really didn't like the way this deal went down to get him this season. We had to give up our 1st Round Draft Pick this season as well as Piche and even though it wasn't the same deal we essentially gave up Commodore as well. Quincey was only a 3rd round pick so giving up a 1st for him IMO was stupid. I know the Wings have a good history of being able to pick good players late in the draft but giving up a 1st round pick at anytime kills me, whether we have the 1st or the 30th Overall. With so many questions being asked about our Defense it's really hard to say whether Quincey would be back or not next season. I do agree with Travis in the fact that I couldn't see them getting him back if they didn't plan on keeping him. I do like the options of extending him a qualifing offer that way we'd either get him or we'd get something out of it for him. You have to assume that Smith will be up next season no matter what. I hate the thought of losing both Stuart and Lidstrom in one off-season but I'm at the point that I'd rather see Liddy go now that way we have a good chance at getting a suitable replacement for him in Free Agency. It really wouldn't matter to me either way if we kept Quincey or not, we just need a change so that we can get back into being a better contender for the Cup.

Piche was a throwaway just to free the spot up on the team's 50 contract limit. Piche is a career AHL d-man at best.

Defense will look like:

Lidstrom-White

Quincey-Ericsson

Smith

The Lidstrom-White experiment didn't turn out so well. I think they'll try someone else with Lids (assuming there's a new acquisition).

Piche was a throwaway just to free the spot up on the team's 50 contract limit. Piche is a career AHL d-man at best.

Yeah, I never understood why people were upset about the loss of Piche. He was invisible at Griffins games, he wasn't going to crack the Wings' line-up. Ever.

Why not? I thought they were fantastic together for most of the year.

I agree. White, while not getting the same timely goals as he did in years past, was a perfectly adequate replacement for Rafalski I thought. And more durable. I really liked them as a pair.

I wasn't a big fan of Quincey's game up until the Nashville series where even though we lost he seemed to play better. It seems to me the more ice time he played the better he got..if he's going to be buried on the last pair then I say let him walk..if we are going to get him top 4 minutes the make him an offer.

The Wings are usually pretty patient with players. They know that Quincey didn't perform to his abilities but it would be a detriment to themselves to give up on him now (not only for trading a 1st for him but also because he will be better sooner or later). They will qualify him for sure.

Secondly, althogh White was good in the first half of the season I think we all got a little carried away with our love affair for him. Down the stretch, and in the playoffs, he looked like a 5/6 d-man. He is inconsistent and misses assignments. That being said, for what he is paid he's pretty decent.

Whether the Wings get Suter or not this summer they will most certainly add a defenceman. Stuart is gone and whether Lidstrom comes back or not is irrelevent (in terms of UFA) as the Wings will add.

Lidstrom - UFA

Kronwall - Ericsson

Quincey - White

Smith/Kindl

Every one is assuming Smith will be a regular next season. Although I want him to be the fact that he has minor league options and still needs to show up at camp and earn a spot means nothing is set in stone.

Yeah, I never understood why people were upset about the loss of Piche. He was invisible at Griffins games, he wasn't going to crack the Wings' line-up. Ever.

I agree. White, while not getting the same timely goals as he did in years past, was a perfectly adequate replacement for Rafalski I thought. And more durable. I really liked them as a pair.

I agree but as the season went on he started to look a little worn down. He played roughly 3 to 3 1/2 mins a game more this year then he did in SJ/Carolina last year which is quite a bit. It's time to ride some of these young guys a bit more early in the year.

Not happy overall with his performance,but he's been here for 'only' 20 games or something.The Wings had all the patience of the world for big E,why shouldn't they give a chance to Quincey?

Lidstrom-(Suter)

Kronwall-White

Quincey-Ericsson

Smith

...not bad at all if you ask me :)

Guest Hatethedrake!

Smith is not going to be the #7 dman on this team. He needs regular playing time to develop and he is already better tha Kindl and is on par with Ericsson. The only way Quincey is not on this team is if Lids re-signs and Suter is signed. Then he gets traded for a 2nd round pick.

Lidstrom-Suter

Kronwall-White

Ericsson-Smith

Kindl

Smith is not on par with Ericsson. I really like Smith and he has all the potential to be very good, but he isn't near E. I think that's just simply the grass is always greener and Ericsson is an easy target. Smith is a much different player too -- I don't doubt he could come in immediately and produce more offensively and make better break out passes than Ericsson. However, Smith has not proven he can handle playing 20+ minutes against NHL competition. You can cover up some defensive flaws playing 12-14 minutes per game. Not to mention, the crucial role Ericsson plays for the penalty kill. The PK completely turned around when E came back from injury. Ericsson makes mistakes, but I also recall Smith turning the puck over in front of his own net multiple times during his second trip up with the Red Wings.

I do agree Smith will be on the team next year and not in the capacity of the 7th d-man. He's definitely ready to make the jump full time and I think the best thing would be having him paired with Kronwall. Although, I guess a lot will depend on what happens with Nick, Quincey and any potential free agent signings.

Edited by GoWings1905

Alittle article on mlive with Quincey. http://www.mlive.com...cey_lookin.html

Some quotes:

"This is my first time being traded in the middle of the year," said Quincey, whose only other NHL trade was from Los Angeles to Colorado in July 2009. "There's a huge transition and just coming in fresh next year with training camp and seeing where you fit in from the start hopefully will feel a lot better.

"It's a different role (after a trade). You come here and you have to find your new role. Every team you go to, you're going to be in a different role. That's part of the game. That's why they pay you."

One of Quincey's problems was he had barely arrived in Detroit when he got hurt.

"After a while, you kind of see where you fit in," Quincey said. "The power play, penalty kill was a bit thing for me. Special teams are where I fit in here most. Third and fourth line in the playoffs. You know your role. You come to the rink every day and you know what you have to focus on."