• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LidstromIsASuperhero

Will the Wings keep Kyle Quincey?

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

It's making me laugh uproariously that some of the people who whined and who condemned Holland for years for letting Quincey go are now saying that he's a mediocre defenseman who is not worth the low 1st that was given up for him.

Get your stories straight, people

Guest Crymson

Crymson is laughing uproariously, guys.

It was a figurative statement.

Of course, I'd not expect you to remember all the talk here about Quincey when he went on to see success in L.A.; you'd declared yourself forever done with the Red Wings when Ken Holland failed to make moves to your satisfaction at the deadline in 2008.

Edited by Crymson

It's making me laugh uproariously that some of the people who whined and who condemned Holland for years for letting Quincey go are now saying that he's a mediocre defenseman who is not worth the low 1st that was given up for him.

Get your stories straight, people

Holland loses a decent young middle pairing defenseman for nothing by putting him on waivers.

Now at the deadline Holland uses a first round pick to get back that decent middle pairing defenseman that he put on waivers.

I don't see a contradiction in people being upset with both those things.

Not happy overall with his performance,but he's been here for 'only' 20 games or something.The Wings had all the patience of the world for big E,why shouldn't they give a chance to Quincey?

Lidstrom-(Suter)

Kronwall-White

Quincey-Ericsson

Smith

...not bad at all if you ask me :)

I'd much rather have Ericsson paired with Kronwall and White play the 3rd pairing and on the PP. He's better with more limited mins.

Holland will keep him to save face.

Yup, pretty much. Although, they will conviently use Stuart leaving and say Quincey will fill that void now. However, if Quincey's tenure back with the Red Wings since being acquired is any indicator, he looks to be a lot like the same player they let go the first time. He isn't a top-four defenseman on a championship calibre team.

Guest Crymson

Yup, pretty much. Although, they will conviently use Stuart leaving and say Quincey will fill that void now.

Conveniently? You know, given that Holland openly said when he acquired Quincey that he had done so because Stuart was probably leaving?

Conveniently? You know, given that Holland openly said when he acquired Quincey that he had done so because Stuart was probably leaving?

Again, that's nice in theory if Quincey had actually been a valuable addition. You can't just say Quincey is going to replace Stuart if he isn't capable of the role. It doesn't make the move any more appealing because Holland used that line back in February. You also neglected to address the point where I said Quincey isn't a top four d-man which Stuart was. So I still don't see how you can call it a "replacement".

Edited by GoWings1905

Again, that's nice in theory if Quincey had actually been a valuable addition. You can't just say Quincey is going to replace Stuart if he isn't capable of the role. It doesn't make the move any more appealing because Holland used that line back in February. You also neglected to address the point where I said Quincey isn't a top four d-man which Stuart was. So I still don't see how you can call it a "replacement".

You may not think he's capable of that role, but whether he is or not it was a pretty clear move by Holland to try and replace Stuart. It's not going to be an after the fact excuse when Stuart leaves. That was the intent from the beginning.

How is Quincey not a top four D-man? He wasn't great in his return to Detroit, but he's played top 4 minutes every team he's played on since he left.

You may not think he's capable of that role, but whether he is or not it was a pretty clear move by Holland to try and replace Stuart. It's not going to be an after the fact excuse when Stuart leaves. That was the intent from the beginning.

How is Quincey not a top four D-man? He wasn't great in his return to Detroit, but he's played top 4 minutes every team he's played on since he left.

The intent may have always been to use Quincey as Stuart's replacement, but I still don't see how that benefits the Red Wings going into next season judging by Quincey's play since he joined the team. Maybe he does need some more time to adjust to the system and get comfortable. I just didn't see anything different from Quincey than when he left the first time. Bad penalties, not very reliable in his own zone and wasn't really impactful from a special teams perspective either. I understand Quincey has played top-four minutes elsewhere, but I did also stipulate I didn't think he was that quality of a defenseman on a championship calibre team.

Let's say Nick does come back. The Red Wings then have Lidstrom, Kronwall, White, Ericsson, Quincey, Smith and Kindl all on defense. Ideally, Nick isn't playing top pairing minutes anymore if he does return. Kronwall can log big minutes pretty effectively. After that, there's potential, but also quite a bit of uncertainty of what you are going to get if you put those guys in larger roles. White looked worn down and overmatched in his own end as the season progressed. Ericsson is probably best suited to take over Stuart's role as the main penalty killer and rightfully so. Babcock is usually very good about spreading the minutes around on the back end, which is beneficial because the Red Wings don't have a shutdown pairing to throw out there for 30 minutes.

I probably didn't make my point very well previously, but I guess my conclusion is I think the Red Wings need another top-four player in free agency, with or without Nick Lidstrom. Obviously without, then it becomes a done deal they have to add a piece. Even with Nick, I think there are too many question marks defensively and the breakdowns in the Nashville series don't leave me optimistic about heading into next season with the same group of players intact.

Right now, based on Ericsson's last stretch of games to end the season I think he will be replacing Stuart and imo will be a solid upgrade. Stuart has been awful for 3 years. He gets turned inside out almost once a game and I bet we will notice a difference in Kronwall's game now that he is gone. White, Quincey, Smith, and Kindl all competing to play on the bottom pairing is a good problem to have.

We outta give the oilers a call and offer Quincy,kindl and filpulla for that number 1 overall. Being the oilers gm has made it known they want blue line help. Then we can draft Yakapov and spend on free agency on d. Quincy is young and has value. Just not sure he fit in with our system.

Edited by EastonWings

Kenny should offer Quincey a 1 year, 2.5 mil contract to give him the year to play with the Wings and get the chemistry that was lacking cause of the change getting Quincey back and the constant injuries all year at every position. Once the pre-season is ready to kick off, we'll see how the Wings blue line looks and whether or not we have Lids, Suter, Quincey and whoever else Kenny has his sights on. I think personally that it would be a disservice to the Wings tossing a 1st for a rental that still has a lot of potential. He kinda sucked in the playoffs and leading up to them, but he needs to be given a good shot with a regular D partner. if it doesn't work out, then that's the beauty of the 1 year contracts.

Guest Heaten

I'd love for another team to offer sheet him, if that happens, Holland could get a few decent picks for him. He may have been underwhelming during the end of the season/playoffs on the DRWs, but the facts remain the same, he's a decent PMD that can score and QB the PP. He also has some size and can be physical. D-men of his caliber may not be rare, but he's still appealing to teams looking to beef up their blue line.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic...

I'd love for another team to offer sheet him, if that happens, Holland could get a few decent picks for him. He may have been underwhelming during the end of the season/playoffs on the DRWs, but the facts remain the same, he's a decent PMD that can score and QB the PP. He also has some size and can be physical. D-men of his caliber may not be rare, but he's still appealing to teams looking to beef up their blue line.

I want the same thing to happen....

Holland has to offer him a qualifying offer of $3.25M (his salary last year(he does get an automatic raise because he is making over $1M)) hopefully he turns it down and gets signed somewhere else for the $3.5M or more he is probably worth, then Holland not only gets his 1st round pick back that he gave up, he also gets a 3rd to go with it! If Holland does not qualify him, he becomes a UFA...

I just don't see room for him on this team with the possibility of Suter signing and Lidstrom coming back. Not unless Smith is staying in GR for another year...(not to mention Cap issues if it doesn't go up)

Kronwall - Suter

White - Lidstrom

Ericsson - Quincey

Kindl (Smith in GR)

I would rather have the picks for Quincey, make Smith the #6 D-Man in his place...of course Kindl could always be traded but he may not get you a 3rd, let alone a 1st and 3rd... Let's hope if Quincey does leave, he signs somewhere like Columbus or Montreal so that 2013 1st rounder may possibly be a lottery pick!

Guest Crymson

Yes, you're being hugely optimistic. How many offer sheets do you see given each offseason? And if he's as good as you're saying, why shouldn't Holland keep him?

Edited by Crymson