Will the Wings keep Kyle Quincey?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

Yeah, I never understood why people were upset about the loss of Piche. He was invisible at Griffins games, he wasn't going to crack the Wings' line-up. Ever.

I agree. White, while not getting the same timely goals as he did in years past, was a perfectly adequate replacement for Rafalski I thought. And more durable. I really liked them as a pair.

I agree but as the season went on he started to look a little worn down. He played roughly 3 to 3 1/2 mins a game more this year then he did in SJ/Carolina last year which is quite a bit. It's time to ride some of these young guys a bit more early in the year.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#22 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

Not happy overall with his performance,but he's been here for 'only' 20 games or something.The Wings had all the patience of the world for big E,why shouldn't they give a chance to Quincey?

Lidstrom-(Suter)

Kronwall-White

Quincey-Ericsson

Smith

...not bad at all if you ask me :)

#23 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

Smith is not going to be the #7 dman on this team. He needs regular playing time to develop and he is already better tha Kindl and is on par with Ericsson. The only way Quincey is not on this team is if Lids re-signs and Suter is signed. Then he gets traded for a 2nd round pick.

Lidstrom-Suter

Kronwall-White

Ericsson-Smith

Kindl
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#24 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

Smith is not on par with Ericsson. I really like Smith and he has all the potential to be very good, but he isn't near E. I think that's just simply the grass is always greener and Ericsson is an easy target. Smith is a much different player too -- I don't doubt he could come in immediately and produce more offensively and make better break out passes than Ericsson. However, Smith has not proven he can handle playing 20+ minutes against NHL competition. You can cover up some defensive flaws playing 12-14 minutes per game. Not to mention, the crucial role Ericsson plays for the penalty kill. The PK completely turned around when E came back from injury. Ericsson makes mistakes, but I also recall Smith turning the puck over in front of his own net multiple times during his second trip up with the Red Wings.

I do agree Smith will be on the team next year and not in the capacity of the 7th d-man. He's definitely ready to make the jump full time and I think the best thing would be having him paired with Kronwall. Although, I guess a lot will depend on what happens with Nick, Quincey and any potential free agent signings.

Edited by GoWings1905, 04 May 2012 - 12:11 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#25 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

Alittle article on mlive with Quincey. http://www.mlive.com...cey_lookin.html

Some quotes:

"This is my first time being traded in the middle of the year," said Quincey, whose only other NHL trade was from Los Angeles to Colorado in July 2009. "There's a huge transition and just coming in fresh next year with training camp and seeing where you fit in from the start hopefully will feel a lot better.

"It's a different role (after a trade). You come here and you have to find your new role. Every team you go to, you're going to be in a different role. That's part of the game. That's why they pay you."

One of Quincey's problems was he had barely arrived in Detroit when he got hurt.

"After a while, you kind of see where you fit in," Quincey said. "The power play, penalty kill was a bit thing for me. Special teams are where I fit in here most. Third and fourth line in the playoffs. You know your role. You come to the rink every day and you know what you have to focus on."

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#26 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,997 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

I predict...

- Stuart will walk
- Nick will return
- Quincey will be retained
- Smith will be our seventh defenseman
- We'll get Suter or Wideman

Don't Toews me, bro!

#27 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

It's making me laugh uproariously that some of the people who whined and who condemned Holland for years for letting Quincey go are now saying that he's a mediocre defenseman who is not worth the low 1st that was given up for him.

Get your stories straight, people

#28 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,997 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

Crymson is laughing uproariously, guys.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#29 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

Crymson is laughing uproariously, guys.

It was a figurative statement.

Of course, I'd not expect you to remember all the talk here about Quincey when he went on to see success in L.A.; you'd declared yourself forever done with the Red Wings when Ken Holland failed to make moves to your satisfaction at the deadline in 2008.

Edited by Crymson, 04 May 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#30 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

It's making me laugh uproariously that some of the people who whined and who condemned Holland for years for letting Quincey go are now saying that he's a mediocre defenseman who is not worth the low 1st that was given up for him.

Get your stories straight, people

Holland loses a decent young middle pairing defenseman for nothing by putting him on waivers.

Now at the deadline Holland uses a first round pick to get back that decent middle pairing defenseman that he put on waivers.

I don't see a contradiction in people being upset with both those things.

#31 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

Not happy overall with his performance,but he's been here for 'only' 20 games or something.The Wings had all the patience of the world for big E,why shouldn't they give a chance to Quincey?

Lidstrom-(Suter)

Kronwall-White

Quincey-Ericsson

Smith

...not bad at all if you ask me :)

I'd much rather have Ericsson paired with Kronwall and White play the 3rd pairing and on the PP. He's better with more limited mins.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#32 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,647 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

Holland will keep him to save face.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#33 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

Holland will keep him to save face.

Yup, pretty much. Although, they will conviently use Stuart leaving and say Quincey will fill that void now. However, if Quincey's tenure back with the Red Wings since being acquired is any indicator, he looks to be a lot like the same player they let go the first time. He isn't a top-four defenseman on a championship calibre team.

#34 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

Yup, pretty much. Although, they will conviently use Stuart leaving and say Quincey will fill that void now.

Conveniently? You know, given that Holland openly said when he acquired Quincey that he had done so because Stuart was probably leaving?

#35 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

Conveniently? You know, given that Holland openly said when he acquired Quincey that he had done so because Stuart was probably leaving?

Again, that's nice in theory if Quincey had actually been a valuable addition. You can't just say Quincey is going to replace Stuart if he isn't capable of the role. It doesn't make the move any more appealing because Holland used that line back in February. You also neglected to address the point where I said Quincey isn't a top four d-man which Stuart was. So I still don't see how you can call it a "replacement".

Edited by GoWings1905, 04 May 2012 - 09:01 PM.

#36 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

dont know dont care. i dont think hes worth the money hes making

#37 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

Again, that's nice in theory if Quincey had actually been a valuable addition. You can't just say Quincey is going to replace Stuart if he isn't capable of the role. It doesn't make the move any more appealing because Holland used that line back in February. You also neglected to address the point where I said Quincey isn't a top four d-man which Stuart was. So I still don't see how you can call it a "replacement".

You may not think he's capable of that role, but whether he is or not it was a pretty clear move by Holland to try and replace Stuart. It's not going to be an after the fact excuse when Stuart leaves. That was the intent from the beginning.

How is Quincey not a top four D-man? He wasn't great in his return to Detroit, but he's played top 4 minutes every team he's played on since he left.

#38 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

You may not think he's capable of that role, but whether he is or not it was a pretty clear move by Holland to try and replace Stuart. It's not going to be an after the fact excuse when Stuart leaves. That was the intent from the beginning.

How is Quincey not a top four D-man? He wasn't great in his return to Detroit, but he's played top 4 minutes every team he's played on since he left.

The intent may have always been to use Quincey as Stuart's replacement, but I still don't see how that benefits the Red Wings going into next season judging by Quincey's play since he joined the team. Maybe he does need some more time to adjust to the system and get comfortable. I just didn't see anything different from Quincey than when he left the first time. Bad penalties, not very reliable in his own zone and wasn't really impactful from a special teams perspective either. I understand Quincey has played top-four minutes elsewhere, but I did also stipulate I didn't think he was that quality of a defenseman on a championship calibre team.

Let's say Nick does come back. The Red Wings then have Lidstrom, Kronwall, White, Ericsson, Quincey, Smith and Kindl all on defense. Ideally, Nick isn't playing top pairing minutes anymore if he does return. Kronwall can log big minutes pretty effectively. After that, there's potential, but also quite a bit of uncertainty of what you are going to get if you put those guys in larger roles. White looked worn down and overmatched in his own end as the season progressed. Ericsson is probably best suited to take over Stuart's role as the main penalty killer and rightfully so. Babcock is usually very good about spreading the minutes around on the back end, which is beneficial because the Red Wings don't have a shutdown pairing to throw out there for 30 minutes.

I probably didn't make my point very well previously, but I guess my conclusion is I think the Red Wings need another top-four player in free agency, with or without Nick Lidstrom. Obviously without, then it becomes a done deal they have to add a piece. Even with Nick, I think there are too many question marks defensively and the breakdowns in the Nashville series don't leave me optimistic about heading into next season with the same group of players intact.

#39 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

Smith will not be the 7th D, if he doesnt crack the top 6 in camp then he'll do another year in GR.
If Lids stays and we sign a UFA then there wont be any room for him anyway, mores the pity thou.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#40 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

He just joined team Canada for Worlds

http://www.freep.com...6/1053/sports05

Edited by evilzyme, 05 May 2012 - 04:04 PM.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.