• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MabusIncarnate

What Are You Playing?

Rate this topic

Jedi spends most of his days playing Parent Simulator 2012 :P

Lol. That's an inventive way of putting it!

Anyway, I've always found the AC series to be very repetitive. It's good eye candy, for certain, but it generally entails doing the same thing over and over again. More, there's little incentive to be sneaky when one can simply drop down into a crowd of enemies and kill all of them. The only missions that require stealth are those in which one arbitrarily fails should one be discovered (these missions make no sense---given that one can handily kill ten people in a melee, why would it matter if one is spotted by the target). From all I've been told about AC3, the change to a more open environment is a further negative.

I can understand where you could feel that way. I've always felt that the combat is a little too easy (especially in 1 & 2), since an entire group of armed guards will patiently wait to attack you one at a time, and you only have to wait for their attack to counter-kill. 3 attempts to solve that problem, as you can be attacked by several guards at once, but it allows you to counter-attack up to two at a time, which still makes you damn near invincible.

As for the open world, that kind of criticism is a little dishonest, as AC 1 had a massive area (The Kingdom) that you could explore in an open world setting. However, the game only requires you go through it 4 times, and then you can fast travel to anywhere AC 3 does the same thing with the Frontier, which is where I've spent most of my time once it became available. However, many of the missions require you to spend time in the Frontier area, much more so than The Kingdom in AC 1.

I, for one, love the open world setting. Especially given the main character's back story as a member of the Mowhawk tribe. It really gives you a chance to sneak around the wilderness (climbing through trees, jumping from limb to limb, stalking a deer or elk to hunt). Opening things up is a good choice, IMO.

And for me, the thing that has drawn me in most of the AC series has been the "retelling" of historical events, weaving history in with an incredibly well thought out conspiracy theory. I've been hooked into this series from the get-go.

I just cannot effectively play a stealth heavy game, the same reason why I didn't like the Batman games. When it comes to this style of game I am just awful, I hate replaying sequences over and over until I get them right, and I tend to screw up a lot attempting to not get detected.

I completely understand the appeal of AC, why it's a good game and how it has received so many awards and recognitions over the years. It's just not a genre of game that I enjoy. I like the concepts that are seen in Dishonored and Far Cry 3, you CAN be sneaky and stealthy and play the game that way, but you don't have to and it does not ruin the experience opposed to failing missions when detected.

Still working through AC3, though I get the feeling I'm drawing close to the end. (I think I'm at 63% complete, though if I remember correctly, I usually finished AC2 at about 84% complete, the rest made up in side quests and collectibles).

I'm already starting to think about what my next game will be. I'm probably going to spend a few bucks on the downloadable game, Journey, for the PS3. Granted that's a game that I will finish in one day (maybe two, if I stretch it), but it got such great reviews that it deserves a shot.

From there, I'm at a crossroad. I'm contemplating picking up and starting a new Skyrim campaign, and getting the Dragonborn DLC with it. Or I've been feeling the call of the Old West again, so I might start Red Dead yet again (and of course, follow it up with Undead Nightmare, which is one of the most fun DLC's I've ever played). Or, I might play Fable 3 again. Or Portal 2.

Long and short of it, whatever game past Journey that I play next, will be one I've played before.

I attempted to play through Resident Evil 6 to no avail, don't like the new direction the series has taken. I guess i'm now waiting for Dead Space 3 to fill my survival horror needs because RE has turned action shooter.

I picked up Sleeping Dogs yesterday and it seems pretty solid, it's the unofficial sequel to the Dead to Rights games which I enjoyed. I'm still playing Far Cry 3, Borderlands 2, and NHL 13 on the side also.

Journey for the PS3 was a fantastic game. Well worth the $15 download. It's only 3-4 hours long, but it's got a pretty decent replay value.

Now it's time to decide what to play next...

Journey for the PS3 was a fantastic game. Well worth the $15 download. It's only 3-4 hours long, but it's got a pretty decent replay value.

Now it's time to decide what to play next...

Have you gotten The Old Republic yet?

I was thinking of maybe getting it, but I think it would change my life a little too much right now.

Have you gotten The Old Republic yet?

I was thinking of maybe getting it, but I think it would change my life a little too much right now.

No, and for a multitude of reasons, I won't be getting it. I'm not a fan of MMO games, to start. It's only a PC game, and I'm a Mac user (but I prefer console gaming anyway). And I just don't have the kind of time to sink into a game like that (such is life with a 14 month old). And Blaze and I have already lamented about how LucasArts should have made Knights of the Old Republic 3, instead of TOR, so I'm a little bitter about the game to begin with...

I've ruled out Red Dead for the time being, and I didn't realize that the Dragornborn DLC hasn't been released yet for the PS3 version of Skyrim, so that's out too. Currently leaning towards Fable 3. Cheesy RPG, but I've been a fan of the series since it's first entry on the old Xbox.

I've played and enjoyed all of the Fable games, but they all have pretty heavy downsides that I tend to overlook. Introducing a mass looting system like in Kingdoms of Amalur and Diablo would fix most of my gripes about Fable games. 3 is well worth playing through once though, and i'd recommend the DLC because it was pretty good.

I pretty much ditto your feelings about The Old Republic and it not being KotOR 3.

As for NHL, yeah it's a bit of a glitchy mess. GM Connected we can't advance without at least 10 star players being automatically waived and it scrambling your lines. After my last advancement Kronwall was my 2nd line LW when I checked my lines. There's so many online scoring exploits also that teams can score 10 goals on 20 shots pretty easily.

I've played and enjoyed all of the Fable games, but they all have pretty heavy downsides that I tend to overlook. Introducing a mass looting system like in Kingdoms of Amalur and Diablo would fix most of my gripes about Fable games. 3 is well worth playing through once though, and i'd recommend the DLC because it was pretty good.

I pretty much ditto your feelings about The Old Republic and it not being KotOR 3.

As for NHL, yeah it's a bit of a glitchy mess. GM Connected we can't advance without at least 10 star players being automatically waived and it scrambling your lines. After my last advancement Kronwall was my 2nd line LW when I checked my lines. There's so many online scoring exploits also that teams can score 10 goals on 20 shots pretty easily.

Yeah, this will actually be my 2nd playthrough of Fable 3. First time around I played a character who chose the "good" choices at every opportunity. This time around, I think I'll go "evil", and be a ruthless dictator when made king.

Another word on Journey. If you have a PS3 and you haven't played it yet, do yourself a favor and get it. Although it's the shortest game I've played in a long time, it's easily the best game I've played in a long time too. I've completed it twice now, and I'm close to my third (your character gets a visual upgrade with each completed playthrough), and I'll probably go through it once more to pick up the last few things I've missed.

The music, the setting, the story, the visuals. All of it is absolutely superb, and it all culminates to make Journey a game you really get emotionally invested in. Can't recommend it enough.

And, I decided Skyrim is my next game, again. Maybe if I'm lucky, the Dragonborn DLC will drop for PS3 while I'm still playing it.

I don't have a PS3 but i've heard great things about Journey and the overall experience outweighs the short game length. I'm not even entirely sure exactly what style of game it is.

If anyone is looking for a cheap and reasonably expansive gaming experience, check out Dust: An Elysian Tail. It's an arcade title (not sure if it's on PS3) and it was just phenomenal. It's only fifteen bucks, it's anime style which I am not a fan of but I got completely sucked into this game. It's a side scrolling RPG similar to old Castlevania games, and everything about it is amazing. One guy developed it completely by himself and it was originally an "indie" game brought to life because of how great the final game turned out to be.

I've just learned to expect broken niche modes in sports games. I'm just more concerned with the gameplay and my comments were for people who think the gameplay is horrible especially compared to older NHL games. I think part of it's just nostalgia. Look at the praise the NHL series gets for it's SNES/Genesis versions, yet you go back and play them and nostalgia aside, they're trash.

I think part of it's just nostalgia. Look at the praise the NHL series gets for it's SNES/Genesis versions, yet you go back and play them and nostalgia aside, they're trash.

But nothing, NOTHING, that comes out today can compare with Tecmo Bowl, and you know it! ;)

I moved/merged the NHL13 critical posts into the NHL 13 thread. Feel free to continue that conversation there.

After seeing the news that Dragonborn DLC will be released on PS3 in February, I decided to go ahead and start Skyrim again. I'm an Imperial (a.k.a. Money Grubbing Greedy Bastard), focusing on Archery, Smithing, and eventually Enchanting. So, pretty much a lot of things I didn't focus on in my first playthrough (other than Smithing, which I think is required in order to survive).

Yeah sorry we got a bit off track on the NHL discussion.. it's better left in that thread.

I really need to go back to Skyrim, i've purchased all three DLC packs released so far and have yet to play any of them. I still want to go through the newest Borderlands 2 DLC also, although i'm considering not playing it until they raise the level cap as i've been a 50 before any of the packs even got released. It seems like a bit of a waste playing through DLC without being able to level up any further when they knowingly will raise the cap soon.

I did wind up purchasing The Cave, seems very Tim Burton influenced and definitely feels like another Double Fine game. It's actually a lot of fun, has some levels of dark humor and reminds me a bit of the old Oddworld games.

I'll be on Skyrim for quite some time, too, as it will inevitably take me longer to playthough. There's 2 reasons for that.

#1 - The sheer size & scope of the game, as everyone already knows.

#2 - Amanda (My fiance) finds the game INCREDIBLY boring. With other games (Mass Effect and Red Dead, for instance) she's perfectly content to be on the laptop playing the Sims or browsing Pinterest while I'm playing. But because she finds it so boring, she usually drifts off and goes to bed, or asks to watch something on TV instead. So I try to play on evenings that she's away, which is maybe once or twice a week, and even then only for a few hours.

Limited time to play on a game that can easily soak up 60-70+ hours of gameplay means I'll be on this game till probably March or so. Especially once I can get some of the DLC's on the PS3.

Finally ordered Hitman Absolution, now that the price has dropped to half from the original here. And I really needed a 3rd game - can't be playing Skyrim or NHL 13 all the time.

Just a little easier to spend the time waiting for May 7th now.

edit: ALSO I bought the ME Trilogy pack for PS3. Didn't know there even was one, apparently it was released in December. I played ME 1 on PC when it came out and decided I'd play it again once they're all out and I've got a better PC. But now that it came out for PS3 (with the first version edited better) and with the ability to continue with the same char throughout all the games I just couldn't resist! !!!!!!

Edited by Finnish Wing