• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MabusIncarnate

What Are You Playing?

Rate this topic

My job allows us to read at our desks when things get slow, and as such I've been reading the Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) series. The book series (as I'm sure many of you know) is fantastic, and has had me REALLY wanting to play a game that was in the same genre as ASOIAF...

So, after being pretty much severely burned out on Skyrim in June, I finally swung back around and pulled it out of the box again. Still had a few things to finish up in Dawnguard, and still have the civil war to finish, and several other miscellaneous quests.

Even after all this time, this game is STILL lights-out. The only other game I've ever spent this much time in was Final Fantasy X.

'tis a sad sad day when you have to delete ALL of your Skyrim data and game saves, and start over completely from scratch...

Came across an un-fixable glitch during the Battle for Whiterun, that forced any game save of mine to lock the game up if I got within half-a-map of Whiterun. The bug/glitch was due to the fact that my house in Whiterun became my "catch all" for things I came across in the game. Hundreds if not thousands of pieces of armor, books, gems, dragon bones, keys, etc, caused the game to lock up hopelessly.

So, I'm deleting it all and starting from scratch. To get a bit of a head start, I deleted all the patches Bethesda has released since 11/11/11, and am playing offline, so that I can still spam iron daggers like crazy to fast-track my smithing abilities. Once that's high enough, I'll go back and get the patches and continue on my way...

'tis a sad sad day when you have to delete ALL of your Skyrim data and game saves, and start over completely from scratch...

Came across an un-fixable glitch during the Battle for Whiterun, that forced any game save of mine to lock the game up if I got within half-a-map of Whiterun. The bug/glitch was due to the fact that my house in Whiterun became my "catch all" for things I came across in the game. Hundreds if not thousands of pieces of armor, books, gems, dragon bones, keys, etc, caused the game to lock up hopelessly.

So, I'm deleting it all and starting from scratch. To get a bit of a head start, I deleted all the patches Bethesda has released since 11/11/11, and am playing offline, so that I can still spam iron daggers like crazy to fast-track my smithing abilities. Once that's high enough, I'll go back and get the patches and continue on my way...

This is one downside of Bethesda games. They create such massive and brilliant masterpiece games, but there is so much going on and so many events that bugs and glitches are inevitable. Any game they release eventually has problems that need to be patched, and unfortunately at times it is game breaking. It happened to me during Fallout: New Vegas, I had about 90 hours invested and had to restart all over again, but I was relatively happy to do so because the experience the 2nd time around with decisions and combat approach was completely different.

I took advantage of some of the "Countdown to the New Year" sales this week and bought a few games that were very inexpensive. I wound up getting State of Decay, Eternal Sonata, and I Am Alive for about $15 which I was pretty thrilled about considering regular price on State of Decay alone is $20.00. Tonight for gold members "Sleeping Dogs" is going to be free as well so I have a nice small stack of backlogged games to catch up on.

I'm likely going to get into State of Decay first, it's a critically acclaimed zombie survival game done in a 3rd person open world GTA style of game. You can clear houses, gather resources, and claim it as your own and begin to build it up as a fortress. You can build traps, create barricades, build medical stations, workshops, and major improvements to assist your survival efforts. You can also roam around the city, search for survivors and bring them back to your fortress and then use them as playable characters or bring them along for your scavenging missions. It's a really deep zombie survival type of game that is done unlike any other released before, I played it for the first time yesterday and found that I was lost in it for about 7 hours. I went back to it today and found that events occurred while I was not playing the game, there had been a zombie attack and I lost two members of the community.

The live event approach may not appeal to the casual gamer, as i'm sure if you don't play the game for a few days or a few weeks a lot of your progress will be overrun as things continue to happen when you aren't there. It's a lot about preparation and ending your game session for the day with the best efforts to insure your fortress is secure enough while you are away to protect your community. Very cool so far, looking forward to playing more.

I'm addicted to Battlefield 4 pistol-only lobbies.

That sounds different.. probably a nice break from being blown up by tanks and planes all game. I haven't gotten BF4 yet but in previous games I loved the Engineer class with tank mines, I was pretty creative hiding them and racking up kills on tank abusers.

I'm still on State of Decay, never played a game quite like it. Very addictive and intense.

That sounds different.. probably a nice break from being blown up by tanks and planes all game. I haven't gotten BF4 yet but in previous games I loved the Engineer class with tank mines, I was pretty creative hiding them and racking up kills on tank abusers.

I'm still on State of Decay, never played a game quite like it. Very addictive and intense.

Well I just recently bought it and haven't gotten into the large scale battles, but my favorite thing to do in Bad Company 2 and Modern Combat was dump all of my C4 on a vehicle, drive it into an enemy tank or a group, jump out and then detonate. It's the little things that make it enjoyable :P

I started out with the smaller maps/no vehicles just for the gun-on-gun to get used to the game, and after playing for a number of hours I started to regret buying the game. Then I discovered the pistols-only lobbies and just had so much fun. I'd guess it's because of the play style everyone's forced to play that makes it fun. Unfortunately, there will be some people using the G18 or the 93R, but for the most part it's looked down upon.

What's good about State of Decay? I just watched a short video of it during the one of the Steam sales and it showed your character destroying massive mobs of zombies. I was short on cash at the time but found it interesting then kind of forgot about it until you brought it up. Could you explain a bit more about it?

@ Dropkick - State of Decay is kind of the first open world zombie game to come out. Its somewhat comparable to Dead Rising if you ever played those, but each experience is unique. You are thrown into an unexplored world, and a bunch of random missions for you to accept or decline. If you find survivors and successfully bring them back to your home base, you can actually use them as playable characters or bring them with you to assist with missions.

There's a lot of scavenging which gives it a real situation feeling, you use and live off of solely what you can dig up in abandoned homes and work sheds. If you take a car from the street and destroy it, there is no respawn, it is gone forever. With that said, there are only so many limited resources around the world so if you use and destroy all vehicles instead of park them and repair them inbetween missions you will be doing a lot of moving on foot.

Each character has their own unique RPG leveling style. If you get one character up to say 7 fighting, 4 cardio, and you die once, that character is gone forever and you have to start with a new survivor at your home base. If you run out of survivors the game ends. It's all about real world logic, how you leave your home when you aren't there, how much you want to invest in protection and how much you want to utilize those survivors for the longevity of the game.

You can keep what you find such as weapons and ammo, or donate it to your home base cache of supplies that you can take back later on while building positive reputation among the community. There are hundreds of different guns and melee weapons with randomly spread throughout the world, no item will be in the same place during any other playthrough, what you find there and then is what you get.

It's smart and very different, i've found it to be addictive and enjoyable so far.

I need a new shooter for the 360- I've been playing COD: MW3 for a few years and it is getting tired. I didn't get the newer COD games because I prefer more tactical shooters like Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by WorkingOvertime

I need a new shooter for the 360- I've been playing COD: MW3 for a few years and it is getting tired. I didn't get the newer COD games because I prefer more tactical shooters like Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I highly recommend trying one of the Battlefield Bad Company games. The storyline is great and makes for a memorable campaign, the online is definitely tactics over run and gun, and there is a lot less glitchy cheaters on the Battlefield servers. If you are looking more for online only try Battlefield 3 or 4, they both require a lot of hard drive space for HD packets and dlc additions but it's worth it.

Once I got into Battlefield I never looked back, it makes Call of Duty feel like an amateur level shooter. I also highly suggest getting a couple friends and getting yourself a 3-4 man squad online, the more you work together and use classes properly you can be a tremendous force. One medic to revive fallen teammates and drop first aid kits, an assault class to provide ammunition, a sniper to spot and pick off distant targets and an engineer capable of taking down vehicles threatening your position. It's a vicious combo if used properly and you work as a team.

Most importantly, from a tactical standpoint, you can get one or two kills for an entire match and still top the list on the final scoreboard if you are using your class properly, you gain experience from secondary actions like healing/reviving teammates and squadmates, capturing objectives, defending objectives, etc. I think it would be right up your alley.

I highly recommend trying one of the Battlefield Bad Company games. The storyline is great and makes for a memorable campaign, the online is definitely tactics over run and gun, and there is a lot less glitchy cheaters on the Battlefield servers. If you are looking more for online only try Battlefield 3 or 4, they both require a lot of hard drive space for HD packets and dlc additions but it's worth it.

Once I got into Battlefield I never looked back, it makes Call of Duty feel like an amateur level shooter. I also highly suggest getting a couple friends and getting yourself a 3-4 man squad online, the more you work together and use classes properly you can be a tremendous force. One medic to revive fallen teammates and drop first aid kits, an assault class to provide ammunition, a sniper to spot and pick off distant targets and an engineer capable of taking down vehicles threatening your position. It's a vicious combo if used properly and you work as a team.

Most importantly, from a tactical standpoint, you can get one or two kills for an entire match and still top the list on the final scoreboard if you are using your class properly, you gain experience from secondary actions like healing/reviving teammates and squadmates, capturing objectives, defending objectives, etc. I think it would be right up your alley.

BF4 is a good suggestion. I played the online demo, but was turned off by the reported bugs after the full release. I do think it is my best bet for a more tactical FPS with an active online community.

BF4 is a good suggestion. I played the online demo, but was turned off by the reported bugs after the full release. I do think it is my best bet for a more tactical FPS with an active online community.

Yeah they are still working out some minor issues, but it's huge, popular right now and they will continue to update and support the game for years to come. It's a solid choice.

I started playing too. It's great fun, although the carddraw f***s you pretty bad sometimes. :P

So does playing against people who will spend a couple hundred bucks to buy cards.

BTW, did you notice that you can do different things to the buildings at the corners of the boards?

Edited by DickieDunn

My wife hates Skyrim, because (for some reason) she thinks the game is boring. So she surprised me by buying the God of War Saga for PS3, GOW 1-3, Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta.

So I'm alternating between Skyrim and God of War, depending on if she's awake when I'm gaming.

My wife hates Skyrim, because (for some reason) she thinks the game is boring. So she surprised me by buying the God of War Saga for PS3, GOW 1-3, Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta.

So I'm alternating between Skyrim and God of War, depending on if she's awake when I'm gaming.

Make sure she's also asleep while Kratos mingles with the naked wimminz.

Make sure she's also asleep while Kratos mingles with the naked wimminz.

Haha. She's actually played (and beat) GOW 1, and she watched me play the first few stages of it the other night. She's well aware of the level of nakedness in the series.

My wife likes to play games as well, though her selection is a little tamer than mine. She's a huge fan of The Sims, but she's also played Red Dead Redemption (LOVES Undead Nightmare), and many other games that I play too.

She just hates Skyrim. Wondering if she's really "The One" after all... :lol:

My wife has a Civilization Revolution addiction, it pleases me that she has her own account and plays games but sometimes, especially now with her having a broken foot, she marathon games for hours on end and keeps my precious xbox away from me.

I've been working on the backlog lately, just finished up Mafia 2 and started on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Next on the list will likely be Final Fantasy XIII-2 or i'll return to Dark Souls. I buy up a lot of "Deal of the Week" digital downloads when they are five bucks and now I have a healthy stack of games I need to play.

I'm also eagerly awaiting the 2nd part of Burial at Sea DLC for Bioshock Infinite.