• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#41 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:27 AM

Agreed. Furthermore, list one young captain of an nhl team that you absolutely wouldn't covet in free agency? This is a great opportunity for the wings to better their team. Hudler is like a used piece of garbage to me when I compare him to Parise. Think of all the intangibles that Parise brings to the table as a past captain then think of the little that hudler brings off the ice.

He was excellent this play-offs no question about this. But this excellence comes from work ethics not actual skill (he has his share, definitely). It seems we already have such kind of player - Gustav Nyquist looks like a very inexperenced version of Zack Parise. No doubts I would like to have Parise on our team but I also think that a couple of gritty top-9 (mostly third like) forwards may help this team way more. Chris Stewart, David Jones to be realistic. Definitely I would have preferred Bobby Ryan and David Backes...
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#42 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

A few thing....parise is not gritty. he is also a 60 point guy, not a 80+ point guy. he is a sniper only with very average play making abilities. he is also only 5-11/190. same as most of our forwards. they need people to create space for them in the playoffs, and Parise is not going to do that. Not to mention suck up a lot of money.

:rotflmao:
Have you watched ANY Devils games this year or in the playoffs? His work ethic alone sparked the Devils to a 4-1 series win over the Flyers... No one in that series worked harder than Parise. And skating hard and digging deep like Parise does things that the Wings need and didn't do in their brief playoff run...create scoring chances. Parise comes to the Wings July 1st and they're automatically the cup favourite, especially when Staal leaves the Penguins.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#43 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

He was excellent this play-offs no question about this. But this excellence comes from work ethics not actual skill (he has his share, definitely). It seems we already have such kind of player - Gustav Nyquist looks like a very inexperenced version of Zack Parise. No doubts I would like to have Parise on our team but I also think that a couple of gritty top-9 (mostly third like) forwards may help this team way more. Chris Stewart, David Jones to be realistic. Definitely I would have preferred Bobby Ryan and David Backes...

We need Parise in a big way if we are to become legit Cup contenders again. Right now, the Wings do not scare anyone. Dats and Z are our only bonafide top 6 forwards. Flip and Mule look like they are but are too inconsistent. Flip had a good regular season but was bad in the playoffs. Mule will look great one game and then will disappear for 10 more. Adding Parise takes the pressure off Flip and Mule which can only help them. It takes pressure of Dats and Z as well. Depth is a nice thing to have. But you still need the front end skill guys who can match-up with the other teams top guys. Match-ups become more important in the playoffs. If you only have 2 guys you have to really shut down, then it makes it much easier for the other team. More ammo in the gun and the better chance you have of eliminating your target.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#44 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

he scores lots of goals, I don't care how. to add to that, we don't have a lot of top 6 players who score garbage goals anymore (especially if homer retires). Our top six relies upon beating the goalie the first time as opposed to banging in rebounds etc.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#45 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

he scores lots of goals, I don't care how. to add to that, we don't have a lot of top 6 players who score garbage goals anymore (especially if homer retires). Our top six relies upon beating the goalie the first time as opposed to banging in rebounds etc.

I get that people are pointing out that Parise only gets 60 points a season. But that just means he's a Franzen who works hard, on a team without much offensive strength.

The Wings need scoring depth. Adding another Franzen, but one that actually works hard and goes to the net. That's a win.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#46 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

I get that people are pointing out that Parise only gets 60 points a season. But that just means he's a Franzen who works hard, on a team without much offensive strength.

The Wings need scoring depth. Adding another Franzen, but one that actually works hard and goes to the net. That's a win.

zach had 69 this year and 82, 94 the next two full seasons before. Thats not simply a 60 point ceiling. he potted 45 goals in that 94 point season. He has put up over 30 goals every season since his first one (minus the season of injury). I agree that he works hard and goes to the net, but he is a far better player than franzen, he is a better scorer and all-round player.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#47 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,508 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

Here come the proverbial 'the stars are aligned and the Wings will sign both Parise and Suter and we'll be a dynasty again!' posts..

People don't realize how hard it will be to sign one, let alone both of the highest coveted FA's in the market.

Agreed.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#48 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

suter first

then gritty PKer

then parise/ top 6

A gritty PKer over Zach Parise? Really? Seriously?

Never mind that Zach Parise is Zach Parise, put that aside for a second. Was our PK what killed us against the Preds? On the contrary - the PK was pretty damn impressive. No, what really killed us, more than all the other deficiencies and failures, was our goal scoring (or, you might say, the lack thereof). And this has been an issue for some time now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for grit, all for toughness, all for Dan Girardi bleeding his face all over his Rags rag. (*swoon*) (I'm not ***.) (Not that I have any problem with gays, or bisexuals, or the being thereof.) (But I digress!) And we absolutely do have to get grittier, tougher, bigger, meaner, stronger.

But Parise takes precedence over the Prusts, Kellys, Konopkas, Arnotts, Gaustads of the FA pool.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#49 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

zach had 69 this year and 82, 94 the next two full seasons before. Thats not simply a 60 point ceiling. he potted 45 goals in that 94 point season. He has put up over 30 goals every season since his first one (minus the season of injury). I agree that he works hard and goes to the net, but he is a far better player than franzen, he is a better scorer and all-round player.

That is why Parise has a $6 million dollar cap while Franzen as a $3.9 million dollar cap. Some people love to crap all over Franzen, when in all actuality, he is getting paid right about the right amount for what he brings to the team.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#50 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

That is why Parise has a $6 million dollar cap while Franzen as a $3.9 million dollar cap. Some people love to crap all over Franzen, when in all actuality, he is getting paid right about the right amount for what he brings to the team.

Easy goals in the regular season and a vanishing act in the postseason? For that, I'll crap all over him as much as I want, thank you very much.

The cool thing about Parise is - get this - he actually performs in the playoffs. He even scores!

Don't Toews me, bro!

#51 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

The cap hit isn't the problem, the duration of the contract is. Franzen is already lazy now - what's he going to be like another five years into the deal? Besides, Franzen brought absolutely nothing to the team in the playoffs. You notice Parise everywhere even when he's not scoring goals.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#52 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

There are way, way too many fair weather Wings fans on this forum these days. I can't believe how many turn coats there are here. Last year Franzen was hurt and this year in the playoffs the bulk of the Wings players were no shows in the playoffs.

Is Franzen an elite player? No. Woudl he be better served if there were other stars ahead of him in the depth chart so the other teams couldn't key up on him? Of course. You guys are all way too fickle and unrealistic
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#53 2probert4

2probert4

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

Jim Diamond of the examiner just said on XM 92 that he is willing to bet that Suter is done in Nashville. Stating that "Nashville through truck loads of money at him to sign and he turned it down" He said Suter has indicated that he has a desire to play elsewhere. If that's true then so much for the speculation of having both Suter and Parise in Nashville.

Nashville never had a shot at Parise... They don't have the revenue to resign their own 15 free agents (combined UFA and RFA) much less add another 7 mill per player like Parise. Well, make that 13 because Radulov and Andrei Kostitsyn more than likely are gone. With the season they had and only sold out 24 times, (many of those they bought up their own tickets) whats that tell you ?

Preds supposedly offered Weber a similar deal to Rinne's when they signed Rinne and Weber of course declined. Both Suter and Weber made it clear they will go somewhere that they can win a championship....

#54 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

Suter Yes! parise? No thanks. Just don't see it. he is a small sniping forward that is weak on D. Most of us agree that the RW need to be bigger, faster, younger, and grittier. parise costs a ton of money and doesn't solve but half of those problems. How does a guy that scores 35 goals, end up with a -5 rating on a defensive focused team like the devils? Hulder is a 3 million per year player that scores 25 goals. parise is a 6+ million player that scores you 35 goals. Are ten more goals worth 3 million more? No. I would take a Hudler and Jones combo over parise every day of the week, and I am not a fan of Hudler at all. Doan and jones would be even better!

Trust me, I watch Parise play here a lot. The Wings WANT Parise

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#55 2probert4

2probert4

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:53 AM

Agreed.

Parise and Suter are good friends, they played on a few teams together prior to being drafted, and have said they would like to play together at some point in the future. That's where some of that "we sign both Parise and Suter" comes from.. That and the statement in the previous post where everyone comes to Detroit. Some of the Vancouver fans are like that , everyone is going to Vancouver and everyone is lined up to take our trash players (Ballard) (Raymond) so we can make cap room. I agree that Franzen is lazy, big time, I think someone in the locker room should kick him in the arse once a week to keep him motivated.

Trust me, I watch Parise play here a lot. The Wings WANT Parise

Anyone who says they take Hudler over Parise, hasn't watched Parise play. Using the plus minus stat as a reason , that's almost comical. Hudler more than likely will price himself out of Detroit

#56 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

I think that's the main part of "franzen wants to have more fun" stuff. In older interviews all he kept saying was how he loved that he could just play and have no pressure to perform. Thats what we had Zetterberg, Datsyuk & Hossa for. Now Franzen is suppose to be the man among men? He's done well and will do better if we land an elite type player; even if he plays exactly the same, if you catch my drift ;)
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#57 2probert4

2probert4

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

Well, the preds board on HF boards seems to think he is gone. They think realistically they can't afford to have 3 players over 7 mill which would cripple them for the future (which I think is true). No team can really handle that. The wings have gone for so long without a 7+mill player let alone 3 otherwise you sacrifice depth players. And that is assuming the Nashville can afford to spend to the cap ceiling.

Whether or not the wings can entice him to sign, I can't say (obviously), but its nice to think that he may be available come free agency.

Nashville's market doesn't allow them to spend to the cap ceiling, they set a record for sellouts this season with 24 (many of those ownership bought up the tickets) so with the success that franchise has shown over the past few years during the regular season and still not selling out..... About a month ago the Tennessean had an article admitting the Preds still haven't made a profit, and probably won't this season either. 15 free agents to make decisions about (UFA and RFA) but im sure Radulov and Andrei Kostitsyn will be elsewhere. Plus they have to decide on that Hart Trophy candidate Jordin Tootoo as well... lol

#58 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

Parise would be like having a Darren Helm who could score 30+ goals

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#59 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

There are way, way too many fair weather Wings fans on this forum these days. I can't believe how many turn coats there are here. Last year Franzen was hurt and this year in the playoffs the bulk of the Wings players were no shows in the playoffs.

Is Franzen an elite player? No. Woudl he be better served if there were other stars ahead of him in the depth chart so the other teams couldn't key up on him? Of course. You guys are all way too fickle and unrealistic

Unrealistic? I want our big guns to perform when it counts. For Franzen to score all of one goal against the Predators - and a flukey goal, at that - is unacceptable. So you tell me that's being unrealistic, as Franzen isn't actually an elite player and, as such, would be better served if there were other stars ahead of him in the depth chart so the other teams couldn't key up on him. ("Don't blame Johan! We don't have enough stars! Is it his fault he's making good money with the added comfort of long-term job security? NO! He didn't ask to be a key player! He didn't ask to play on the first line! He didn't choose to suffer these burdens!!!") Well, Babs tried him on every line, with seemingly every possible combination of linemates - and the guy didn't really deliver on any front, in any role.

Fairweather and fickle? That would mean I'm hot and cold with the team; one day I might be all in, the next, total disgust. That's not the same thing as calling out a player for under-performing. (And, for the record, I'm not new to the Floatzen scene.)

Is Babs a fairweather, fickle, unrealistic coach for demoting Franzen to the fourth line?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#60 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

Said Poile: "I suspect by virtue of this business, we'll have a lot of changes next year, but the thing I believe in and hope that we can retain the most is the foundation that we have. You look around at some of the players that maybe have unrestricted free agency. (There are) some players that may not want to come back, and we may not want them. But having said that, I hope the core wants to stay here."

http://www.detroitne...0347/1128/rss16

Don't Toews me, bro!