• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

Does he have to trade the rights if Suter is a UFA not RFA? No trade clauses or nothing, just a simple 4 year expiration to UFA. I'm just curious.

If Suter signs somewhere else as a UFA, the Pred's get no compensation. If they already know he won't re-sign prior to July 1, they would trade his rights off to another team, probably for a draft pick, which would give that other team exclusive rights to negotiate a contract with Suter before he officially becomes a UFA. See the trade last June between Montreal & Columbus for James Wisniewski's rights as an example.

BTW, I recall Kenny saying last year around draft time that trading for a UFA's rights before the deadline is a practice that he doesn't want to participate in. We'll see if that changes w/ Suter or Parise this year.

Edited by ogreslayer, 11 May 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#82 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

If Suter signs somewhere else as a UFA, the Pred's get no compensation. If they already know he won't re-sign prior to July 1, they would trade his rights off to another team, probably for a draft pick, which would give that other team exclusive rights to negotiate a contract with Suter before he officially becomes a UFA. See the trade last June between Montreal & Columbus for James Wisniewski's rights as an example.

BTW, I recall Kenny saying last year around draft time that trading for a UFA's rights before the deadline is a practice that he doesn't want to participate in. We'll see if that changes w/ Suter or Parise this year.

Okay, that makes absolute sense to me. So practically, they're trading his contract to another team, which will still expire on July 1st but this will hopefully give them a better chance at signing him directly because they "own" him. Right? I guess I can take a crash course on trading in the league, never a big aspect for me knowledge wise. Now, can you ask permission to speak with a member of a team. Like, Holland couldn't speak with him, unless he asked for permission right? But if he were to get permission, he could start contract talks earlier than July 1st. But basically, teams rarely do this because it prevents them from getting something in return? Teach me.

I do remember Kenny coming out last season about it though, due to it strictly being a risk.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#83 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

Now, can you ask permission to speak with a member of a team. Like, Holland couldn't speak with him, unless he asked for permission right? But if he were to get permission, he could start contract talks earlier than July 1st. But basically, teams rarely do this because it prevents them from getting something in return? Teach me.

I do remember Kenny coming out last season about it though, due to it strictly being a risk.

Only the team holding a player's contract rights can negotiate with the player or their representative regardless, so there's no such possibility of Kenny calling up David Poile in Nashville to ask if they can start talking to Suter now. I'm pretty certain that it's against league policy for Kenny to even flat out mention they're going to make an offer to any other team's pending UFA prior to July 1st as it's considered tampering.

#84 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

Only the team holding a player's contract rights can negotiate with the player or their representative regardless, so there's no such possibility of Kenny calling up David Poile in Nashville to ask if they can start talking to Suter now. I'm pretty certain that it's against league policy for Kenny to even flat out mention they're going to make an offer to any other team's pending UFA prior to July 1st as it's considered tampering.

Really? I could've sworn i've heard cases of permission being asked to start talks with players/agents early. Thanks for all the clearing up for me though!

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#85 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

That is why Parise has a $6 million dollar cap while Franzen as a $3.9 million dollar cap. Some people love to crap all over Franzen, when in all actuality, he is getting paid right about the right amount for what he brings to the team.

Here we go with that f***in cap hit again, which is nothing but a bulls*** way to manipulate the salary cap. There is not one damn person on this site that believes Francine will be playing the last 3or4 years of his contract. He is already BORED. and while he is BORED the lazy f***** is making 5.25 MILLION f***in dollars to ***** foot around the ice looking for Datsyuk or Zetterburg to work their ass off to feed him pucks for easy goals. At least Parise plays like he has some personal pride in his game and gives a s*** about his teammates. He now plays more like a jackass than a mule.

Edited by nuts2u, 11 May 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#86 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

Here we go with that f***in cap hit again, which is nothing but a bulls*** way to manipulate the salary cap. There is not one damn person on this site that believes Francine will be playing the last 3or4 years of his contract. He is already BORED. and while he is BORED the lazy f***** is making 5.25 MILLION f***in dollars to ***** foot around the ice looking for Datsyuk or Zetterburg to work their ass off to feed him pucks for easy goals. At least Parise plays like he has some personal pride in his game and gives a s*** about his teammates. He now plays more like a jackass than a mule.

Oh no, the fourth most valuable team in the league is paying a player 1 million dollars more than what his cap hit is listed as.

What will Ilitch do?

Posted Image

#87 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

Really? I could've sworn i've heard cases of permission being asked to start talks with players/agents early. Thanks for all the clearing up for me though!

It's fairly common when teams are discussing trades, so I don't think there's any rule against it. Possibly a special case for pending UFAs. Though I wouldn't think anyone would give away permission when they can trade it anyway.

#88 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:29 PM

You cant talk with the ufa ahead of time. Why would people trade for rights if anyone could negotiate at the same time? It would just mean he could sign ur deal ahead of july 1st which makes no difference if he already heard all the offers as he will just wait and choose the best one.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#89 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

Teams can trade for a players rights before july 1st and negotiate a contract with the player but there is no guarantee that the player will sign with the team that the contract was traded to.