• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Chances of landing Parise?

Rate this topic

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The thing is he will get offered insanely high contracts by teams that need to do so. And as you said yourself, we're not the only contenders. In 2-3 years we might not even be that if Holland can't flip the age factor while keeping the talent and production relatively linear. Which would be impressive and awe inspiring if you ask me. It also doesn't help that we haven't done much of anything in the playoffs recently despite getting there against beatable teams. I would have more confidence if I thought Detroit was still THE place to be when it came to FA's. I think they look now and see a team declining unfortunately.

I think you're projecting.

I see a lot of people saying that Suter is but realistically there are players who are comparable to Suter. Wideman, Garrison, and Carle all come to mind. Parise is just that much better than the other UFA forwards.

I have to disagree re Suter. Those three guys combined into a single player would still not be as good as Suter, IMO. I do agree that Parise is head and shoulders above the other FA forwards, but Suter is the same with the other defencemen.

I have to disagree re Suter. Those three guys combined into a single player would still not be as good as Suter, IMO. I do agree that Parise is head and shoulders above the other FA forwards, but Suter is the same with the other defencemen.

How do you figure? Check out the stats. Some of those guys have more blocked shots. Some have more points. I mean I would like to have Suter but if we don't get him at least there are other options.

My point was not to say anyone is better than Suter in free agency but rather there are comparable players we could look at if we strike out on him.

For Defensemen there are more options than in Forwards. If we strike out on Parise the big question is what are they going to do?

I personally like Matt Carle just as much as Suter. But that's just me.

How do you figure? Check out the stats. Some of those guys have more blocked shots. Some have more points. I mean I would like to have Suter but if we don't get him at least there are other options.

My point was not to say anyone is better than Suter in free agency but rather there are comparable players we could look at if we strike out on him.

I don't see any available defencemen who are comparable to Suter. He has Norris Trophy-type skills at both ends of the rink. Wideman et al will never contend for that trophy. Those guys are OK but not impact players, IMO.

I feel like changing my vote to ZERO...re-sign Holmstrom? Offer a contract to another small Euro player? I sometimes think Holland doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground...

I honestly don't see the connection there. Bringing Holmstrom back isn't going to prevent the Red Wings from pursuing Parise. Granted, I prefer Holmstrom retire too, but his contact will be minimal if he does return.

Depends on what he wants..does he want more dough or does he want a serious contender each and every year? I mean, we're not the only contender but we'll see. Making $10 mil a year is great but I would assume that winning at least one cup is more important to a lot of this talent.

Holland can give him 10mil because he's one of only a small group of GMs who have owners that are willing to pay out on huge long term contracts AND has more than enough cap room to do so , all while being able to offer an environment that NHLPA polls indicates is highly desirable to players around the league. (and no, I don't care that cougar denies the results of said poll)

Yes there are 30 teams who will want to take a run at Parise but only a handful have a realistic shot of landing him unless he's only looking for a short term deal or isn't interested in winning.

I don't thing we have Parise locked down but the Wings are in a better position than most teams. Not signing him would cause a great deal of drama online but it's not like we'd be losing out on a generational talent. There are plenty of ways to improve the team outside of the 2012 UFAs.

Holland can give him 10mil because he's one of only a small group of GMs who have owners that are willing to pay out on huge long term contracts AND has more than enough cap room to do so , all while being able to offer an environment that NHLPA polls indicates is highly desirable to players around the league. (and no, I don't care that cougar denies the results of said poll)

Yes there are 30 teams who will want to take a run at Parise but only a handful have a realistic shot of landing him unless he's only looking for a short term deal or isn't interested in winning.

I don't thing we have Parise locked down but the Wings are in a better position than most teams. Not signing him would cause a great deal of drama online but it's not like we'd be losing out on a generational talent. There are plenty of ways to improve the team outside of the 2012 UFAs.

I think we can all agree $10mil is a ridiculous number. He won't get paid that much. Even if he was offered that, Ken Holland would never pay that much.

There are a number of teams in good position to sign him which is why I think that the bidding will ultimately get too high for Holland and unless he wants to take a substantial pay cut (1-2 mil) to play here, he will be elsewhere.

While I think Parise will be a highly sought after UFA regardless, his post season performance recently isn't doing himself any favors. He has just 1 goal in his last 7 games and 1 point in his last 5 games. Combine that with the fact that he went from a 45 goal scorer in 2009 to 38 in 2011, to 31 this past year, these "give him whatever he wants" statements are looking rather ludicrous. People get all over Franzen's case and statistically he's been pretty similar to Parise and he's a $3.9 cap hit.

I think realistcally he should sign somewhere for $6M-$8M, but there are going to be those certain teams that throw an outrageous offer at him to try to steal him...it's up to him to decide whether he wants to walk away from a $2M-$3M difference to have a legit chance to win...unfortunately for us, there are more teams out there now that have a legit chance, and then some Cinderella stories (LA) that could pop up as well...I would HATE to see him sign in St. Louis or Chicago or s***sburgh, that's for sure! All of which would hate to see him sign in Detroit...Gonna be a nerve racking day on July 1st! It's a Sunday, so I will have to work, my phone is going to be on overdrive!

I think realistcally he should sign somewhere for $6M-$8M, but there are going to be those certain teams that throw an outrageous offer at him to try to steal him...it's up to him to decide whether he wants to walk away from a $2M-$3M difference to have a legit chance to win...unfortunately for us, there are more teams out there now that have a legit chance, and then some Cinderella stories (LA) that could pop up as well...I would HATE to see him sign in St. Louis or Chicago or s***sburgh, that's for sure! All of which would hate to see him sign in Detroit...Gonna be a nerve racking day on July 1st! It's a Sunday, so I will have to work, my phone is going to be on overdrive!

I would doubt that he goes to the Pens. if by chance he does, it says a lot about Crosby's health. Crosby and Staal are both UFA next season, and they are going to have issues keeping both as it is.

If the Devils make it to cup finals.... Does Parise stay with them?

All depends on the team's financial stability I think. The long playoff run will probably help, but at one point they were on track to lose around $20 million this season. Plus the owner might be forced to sell the team next season if they can't lock in financing to cover their $80m in debt they defaulted on. If Parise really wants long-term stability & a chance at The Cup every year, New Jersey doesn't sound like the place to me.

Edited by ogreslayer

If the Devils win the cup how much, if any, does that detract from your interest in Parise?

He's a great player. At the same time I want star players who are desperate for a championship.

Definitely see your point and I agree with the desperation portion a great deal. I think it's pretty evident now the Red Wings need some new blood that has not won previously. However, Parise does not strike me as a player that is going to get complacent from winning a championship or signing a new contract. He's a leader -- he works hard all of the time, much like Datsyuk and Zetterberg do for the Red Wings.

So I guess my answer is not at all. I somewhat feel the Devils going deep isn't a good thing for the chances of landing Parise, but if he does make it to free agency, I still view him as the top priority.

If the Devils win the cup how much, if any, does that detract from your interest in Parise?

He's a great player. At the same time I want star players who are desperate for a championship.

Yeah, that's exactly why I wouldn't want an Evgeni Malkin or Zdeno Chara on the team. Clearly they're just coasting now that they've won a Cup. Give me a whole team of Phil Kessel's instead. I'm sure he's hungry for a Cup...or maybe a cheeseburger. :blink:

So no, Parise winning a Cup this year would have absolutely zero chance of reducing my interest in the Wings signing him. If anything, wouldn't grabbing a team captain of a Stanley Cup winning team who is entering the prime of his career raise your interest level? No? Really?

Not at all. He's one of those guys that just loves the game and wants to win all the time. Perfect fit for our organization. He's hungry constantly, kind of like Toews. You can kind of tell the ones who like money and fame (etc.) compared to he ones who love hockey. Parise seems like a flat-out hockey nerd. If he wins the cup this year (doubtful, LA is far too strong at this point, but thats another thread) I feel as though that would only make him hungrier.