• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#21 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

Hypothetically does his viewpoint change if the Devils win the cup this year?

Would he be more inclined to take the best offer from any team if he's fresh off of a Cup win or be more tempted to remain in NJ with the championship team? I think how deep the Devils go in the playoffs will impact a final decision from him when it's July. With that said it's kind of hard to judge at this point when there's still a few questions unanswered like is the cap really going to go up next season and what Lids is going to do.

There's a lot of speculation right now and it's kind of irritating to wait until July especially when we aren't competing in the playoffs right now.

Oh, and I picked 40%.

I was thinking about this tonight when Kovy scored the 3rd goal. The thing is-- Brodeur is probably more likely to retire this summer if he wins the Cup (his numbers are down across the board, he lost quite a few starts to another goalie over the last two seasons and he might genuinely want to go out on a high note). If Marty were to retire it would likely signal some more serious moves as well.

In the end the big thing is how dire the financial situation is in NJ. Let's not forget that Parise turned down a serious extension last year to sign a 1 year 'moving on' contract.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#22 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:47 AM

Could you imagine how terrible it would be for Penner and Franzen to play on the same line? :lol:

with semin on the wing.

:whoa:
Posted Image

#23 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

If Jersey doesn't re-sign him then I say the Wings have an 80% chance of getting him. All signs point to him coming here, but I didn't want to jinx it and say 100%, haha.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#24 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.250m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($1.500m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Travis Moen ($1.750m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.250m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)
DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Ryan Suter ($7.250m)
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Josh Harding ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,658,712; BONUSES: $37,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $341,288

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#25 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

30%

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#26 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

Could you imagine how terrible it would be for Penner and Franzen to play on the same line? :lol:

The only way that line is worse is if its Semin Penner Franzen. I say thats only 4 strides between the three of them per shift. Brutal

with semin on the wing.

:whoa:

LMAO...I didnt read your post before I wrote mine...great minds Bro! :clap:
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#27 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

What if New Jersey wins the cup? Do we want a player who won't be as hungry and desperate for a championship?

I just had a dream that the Wings signed Parise AND traded for Adam Larsson. Ah I wish I never woke up you know?

Lidstrom-Larsson
Kronwall-Ericsson
Quincey-Smith

#28 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

If Jersey doesn't re-sign him then I say the Wings have an 80% chance of getting him. All signs point to him coming here, but I didn't want to jinx it and say 100%, haha.

I hate to be That Guy, but...do all signs really point to him coming here? I mean, I know he's said a couple nice things about the organization, and it's no secret that he's #1a or #1b on Our Powers That Be's collective Summer Wishlist - because, holy s***e, guy couldn't be more perfect for the part.

But does all (or any) of that actually point to him coming here?

I admit, I do get a planets-are-aligning kind of vibe from the whole thing, almost like it's - wait for it - Meant to Be. But...well, put it this way: if I'm a Devils fan, I'm not putting a whole lot of stock in the "Parise-to-Detroit?" hype parade - which, let's be honest, has been built up mostly by Detroit-based writers who are working with about as much "inside" insight as we ourselves have.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#29 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

How do all signs point to him signing here? seriously I want to know

#30 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,075 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

By all signs point to here, I think it would be better to say one sign points to here and that is playing alongside Datsyuk, presumably his favorite player to watch. Whether that's an actual sign is anyone's guess, but I think better factors to look at include how much each team is willing to pay him, and for how long, the role at his new team, and their odds at winning the Stanley Cup during his contract length are. Fortunately the Wings get a passing grade on all the above, but I don't think you can say they have the best grade in any of those factors, compared to other suitors. We may pay him 7M, but maybe Columbus can pay 9. Maybe the Flyers have a better chance of getting deep into the playoffs, but perhaps they can only afford a short term deal, or 6M long term. What does Parise want to sacrifice, and what is essential to him? We can only guess.

#31 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:17 PM

The thing is, why be so negative about it? The Red Wings have alot going for them this July 1st. They have Cap space, need and reputation. They had all 3 last summer as well but there were not star players in their prime like Parise and Suter who were available to be signed. Will the Wings get both? Maybe, maybe not. However it is not some fantasy scenario. Some teams have Cap space but are not contenders. Some teams are contenders but do not have the Cap space. Some teams have both but do not have anywhere near the great reputation the Wings have. Lets face it. The Wings have to be favoured to get at least one of these guys. I would say this even if I were not a Red Wings fan. Everyone knew last summer that Brad Richards was going to be a Ranger. Because logic said so. He played for Tortorella and has a strong relationship with him. Torts is the Rangers head coach and they had a glaring need for a #1 centre. So Richards signed there. Parise has already said in an interview that the Red Wings play hockey the right way and that his favourite player in the league is Pavel Datsyuk. Does this mean Parise will sign here? No. I choose to be positive. If neither Parise or Suter are Red Wings this summer then hey, life goes on. The Red Wings will still be a decent team. I just don't understand all the pessimism amongst the Debbie Downers on this forum. It reminds me of Mr Snuffleufagus on Sesame Street. He was never happy and was always negative. Why be a fan then? Just give up and don't watch hockey. Get a rope and hang yourself. Seriously though, Detroit is going to be a major player in UFA come July 1st whether you want to believe it or not.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#32 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

How do all signs point to him signing here? seriously I want to know

Its all overblown speculation at this point, sure it makes sense, but has Holland flat out said "We are going to pursue Parise" or has Parise said "Detroit is one of my options"?

If it has been said I apologize, but I don't recall either end mentioning eachother at this point, the deal makes sense but for all we know Holland could have no interest in paying out for Parise whatsoever and plans on going after someone else.

I thought I was being generous voting 40% but everyone that voted above 50% may be gravely disappointed when you put it into perspective. Not trying to be a killjoy but we gotta consider the facts on top of how much we want this guy to play here.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#33 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:43 PM

i was thinking 50% before they made the conference finals. now 40%

#34 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,409 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

Holland can't just come out and say he's pursuing Parise right now. He's under contract with another team still.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#35 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

Maybe Parise's agent will call Ken at the 1st of July,who knows :hehe:

It was good to read he has a high opinion about the Red Wings,but that means nothing.

#36 centcougar07

centcougar07

Rookie

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:40 AM

Maybe Parise's agent will call Ken at the 1st of July,who knows :hehe:

It was good to read he has a high opinion about the Red Wings,but that means nothing.

Parise's agent wont have to call anyone, his phone will be blowing up on midnight,

And yeah it does mean nothin, Glad others see that< he has sais similar things about Minnesota and if any team asked him what they thought of the organization, he would say good things.

#37 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

Parise's agent wont have to call anyone, his phone will be blowing up on midnight,

I was referring on case with Hossa and his agent :)

#38 Diluvian04

Diluvian04

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

And yeah it does mean nothin, Glad others see that< he has sais similar things about Minnesota and if any team asked him what they thought of the organization, he would say good things.

Hopefully Ken Holland will trade for Parise's rights so we could try and lock him up before July 1. I think Parise is the most important player we need to try and get this offseason. I see a lot of people saying that Suter is but realistically there are players who are comparable to Suter. Wideman, Garrison, and Carle all come to mind. Parise is just that much better than the other UFA forwards. My biggest fear is that we either go with the same old group or sign guys who are half as talented. The Central is too tough to continue with retreads who are older. My last alternative to the defensemen I named would be Filip Kuba. But if we end up with him then we'll know that the wings aren't the #1 destination for these guys anymore.

#39 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

What's all this Parise talk? We have Franzen!

esteef

And Holland should forget about signing Parise/Suter until he inks Hudler long term!

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#40 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

Hudler or bust.

Don't Toews me, bro!