• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#41 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

And Holland should forget about signing Parise/Suter until he inks Hudler long term!

Right? I mean how on earth will we ever replace his production? :P

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#42 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

Just to bring some positive vibes...

What were the Wings chances of landing goalie from a team that has beat them in the previous Playoffs for ridiculous small cap and for a backup role :D

#43 centcougar07

centcougar07

Rookie

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

Hopefully Ken Holland will trade for Parise's rights so we could try and lock him up before July 1. I think Parise is the most important player we need to try and get this offseason. I see a lot of people saying that Suter is but realistically there are players who are comparable to Suter. Wideman, Garrison, and Carle all come to mind. Parise is just that much better than the other UFA forwards. My biggest fear is that we either go with the same old group or sign guys who are half as talented. The Central is too tough to continue with retreads who are older. My last alternative to the defensemen I named would be Filip Kuba. But if we end up with him then we'll know that the wings aren't the #1 destination for these guys anymore.

That could happen if it gets to a point where NJ realizes he's not going to resign. My guess though is that NJ won't trade his rights.

#44 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

60% chance that is nothing but a big guess. Still want Parise anyday of the week over Suter.

#45 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

With all of the talks of him signing with the wings i keep thinking of This Article. Hopefully he comes to Detroit.

Eff Chicago

#46 centcougar07

centcougar07

Rookie

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

With all of the talks of him signing with the wings i keep thinking of This Article. Hopefully he comes to Detroit.

There's talk of him going to a lot of teams. It's going to be a challenge to make him a wing.

#47 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

Who here would do a sign and trade of Hudler for Parise's rights?

#48 centcougar07

centcougar07

Rookie

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

Who here would do a sign and trade of Hudler for Parise's rights?

I would. But I seriously doubt it would ever happen.

#49 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,898 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

I think someone needs to photoshop Parise in a Wings jersey just to see how he looks

#50 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

I would have put 0%, but it wasn't on there. I want him and/or Suter, but other teams will offer stupidly high contracts to 'em.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#51 Klunzo

Klunzo

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

Depends on what he wants..does he want more dough or does he want a serious contender each and every year? I mean, we're not the only contender but we'll see. Making $10 mil a year is great but I would assume that winning at least one cup is more important to a lot of this talent.
"I believe we have a team that can make the playoffs" -Brian Burke

#52 centcougar07

centcougar07

Rookie

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:46 AM

Depends on what he wants..does he want more dough or does he want a serious contender each and every year? I mean, we're not the only contender but we'll see. Making $10 mil a year is great but I would assume that winning at least one cup is more important to a lot of this talent.

The thing is he will get offered insanely high contracts by teams that need to do so. And as you said yourself, we're not the only contenders. In 2-3 years we might not even be that if Holland can't flip the age factor while keeping the talent and production relatively linear. Which would be impressive and awe inspiring if you ask me. It also doesn't help that we haven't done much of anything in the playoffs recently despite getting there against beatable teams. I would have more confidence if I thought Detroit was still THE place to be when it came to FA's. I think they look now and see a team declining unfortunately.

#53 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,075 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

The thing is he will get offered insanely high contracts by teams that need to do so. And as you said yourself, we're not the only contenders. In 2-3 years we might not even be that if Holland can't flip the age factor while keeping the talent and production relatively linear. Which would be impressive and awe inspiring if you ask me. It also doesn't help that we haven't done much of anything in the playoffs recently despite getting there against beatable teams. I would have more confidence if I thought Detroit was still THE place to be when it came to FA's. I think they look now and see a team declining unfortunately.

I think you're projecting.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#54 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

I see a lot of people saying that Suter is but realistically there are players who are comparable to Suter. Wideman, Garrison, and Carle all come to mind. Parise is just that much better than the other UFA forwards.

I have to disagree re Suter. Those three guys combined into a single player would still not be as good as Suter, IMO. I do agree that Parise is head and shoulders above the other FA forwards, but Suter is the same with the other defencemen.

#55 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:50 AM

Agreed.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#56 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:30 AM

Ted Kulfan tries to prep Wings fans and possibly mitigate some disappointment.

NHL Insider: Red Wings might look deeper into free-agent pool

http://www.detroitne...0323/1128/rss16

#57 Diluvian04

Diluvian04

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

I have to disagree re Suter. Those three guys combined into a single player would still not be as good as Suter, IMO. I do agree that Parise is head and shoulders above the other FA forwards, but Suter is the same with the other defencemen.

How do you figure? Check out the stats. Some of those guys have more blocked shots. Some have more points. I mean I would like to have Suter but if we don't get him at least there are other options.
My point was not to say anyone is better than Suter in free agency but rather there are comparable players we could look at if we strike out on him.
For Defensemen there are more options than in Forwards. If we strike out on Parise the big question is what are they going to do?
I personally like Matt Carle just as much as Suter. But that's just me.

#58 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

How do you figure? Check out the stats. Some of those guys have more blocked shots. Some have more points. I mean I would like to have Suter but if we don't get him at least there are other options.
My point was not to say anyone is better than Suter in free agency but rather there are comparable players we could look at if we strike out on him.

I don't see any available defencemen who are comparable to Suter. He has Norris Trophy-type skills at both ends of the rink. Wideman et al will never contend for that trophy. Those guys are OK but not impact players, IMO.

#59 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,252 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

I feel like changing my vote to ZERO...re-sign Holmstrom? Offer a contract to another small Euro player? I sometimes think Holland doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground...

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 1.00 PPG

#60 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 4,992 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

I feel like changing my vote to ZERO...re-sign Holmstrom? Offer a contract to another small Euro player? I sometimes think Holland doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground...

I honestly don't see the connection there. Bringing Holmstrom back isn't going to prevent the Red Wings from pursuing Parise. Granted, I prefer Holmstrom retire too, but his contact will be minimal if he does return.