• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rhah

Bettman wants to tout the "Original 12" now, haha

Rate this topic

Well...some respect has to go out to the second wave of teams like the Flyers, Blues and Sabres...but I hope this doesn't become a marketing gimmick. The Original 6 is elite and WAY older than the extra teams that make up the "Original 12."

I'm not particularly "offended" by this, and i'm not sure really what the rage is all about. He's not standing on a podium saying historically the original six is now the original twelve and throw the tradition of the original six out the window. He could call them part of "The First Expansion six" but that's just kind of dumb. If you want to get technical the Wings joined the league 15 years after Toronto and Boston, but neither of them are trying to claim they should be "The Original Two" or anything like that.

St. Louis is one of the first 12 NHL teams, just like Vancouver and Buffalo are part of the original 14, and so on and so forth. He isn't claiming to change the historical original six to the original twelve, I think the quotation was taken very out of context if you read it again, all that's being stated here is St. Louis was one of the first 12 teams to join the NHL, which in fact they were.

Guys I know it's the offseason and we are really bored, but come on. If I can be honest, they can market whatever they want, I remember growing up and there being a lot of speculation if there would even be an NHL in the future because of the lack of fan base and it was a struggling sport for a long time. Anything he does to improve the status of the sport, bring in more fans, and keep it afloat doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I don't even think it will go as far as a marketing scheme or anything like that. I think it was just a completely misinterpreted quotation from an article.

Just because, here's a timeline of the NHL teams and when they entered the NHL.

1917- Montreal, Toronto

1924- Boston

1926- Chicago, NYR

1932- Detroit

1967 (Expansion)- Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, St. Louis, Dallas (Minnesota and California)

1970- Vancouver, Buffalo

1972- NYI, Caroliona (Hartford),Calgary (Atlanta)

1974- Washington, New Jersey (Kansas City and Colorado)

1979- Colorado (Quebec), Edmonton, Phoenix (Winnipeg)

1991- San Jose

1992- Ottawa, Tampa Bay

1993- Anaheim, Florida

1998- Nashville

1999- Atlanta

2000- Minnesota, Columbus

Just because, here's a timeline of the NHL teams and when they entered the NHL.

1917- Montreal, Toronto

1924- Boston

1926- Chicago, NYR

1932- Detroit

1967 (Expansion)- Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, St. Louis, Dallas (Minnesota and California)

1970- Vancouver, Buffalo

1972- NYI, Carolina (Hartford), Calgary (Atlanta)

1974- Washington, New Jersey (Kansas City and Colorado)

1979- Colorado (Quebec), Edmonton, Phoenix (Winnipeg)

1991- San Jose

1992- Ottawa, Tampa Bay

1993- Anaheim, Florida

1998- Nashville

1999- Atlanta

2000- Minnesota, Columbus

Detroit entered the league in 1926 with Chicago and NYR, and Hartford joined with the other WHA teams in 1979

I don't like the wording "Original" in the sentence. let's keep original with 6 and if needed make something out for those 12, otherwise it'd be confusing which is in fact original.

I'm not offended, I'm actually tired of the megalomania of many O6 fans who think their team is 2nd coming of Jesus Christ and everything outside the O6 is just pretenders to produce decent hockey. if you look at playoff results from recent years - those other un-original 6 have as much if not more success. and many of newer franchises are doing more than good job, often in much worse economy.

mind you... I'd rather support Predators or Lightning with their solid job overall but limited history and fanbase, than Maple Laughs or Canadiens with their giant d* about their history and brutal product on the ice.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I'm just waiting for Bettman to make all 30 teams wear a 20th anniversary patch for the Nashville Predators celebrating their rich hockey history as one of the original 30. Bettman will say...The Nashville Predators and the Detroit Red Wings both share a rich history of hockey tradition and these 2 teams should be the gold standard of how to be a successful hockey franchise. Then Bettman will honour past Red Wings greats like Howe, Yzerman, Lindsay, Delvecchio and Lidstrom. While at the same time past Preds legends such as Vokoun, Legwand, Tootoo and Erat will be honoured. Bettman will close the ceremony saying...THESE 2 HISTORIC FRANCHISES MIRROR EACH OTHER IN EVERY WAY and SHOULD BE PROUD TO BE A PART OF THE ORIGINAL 30.

Why didn't he call them what they are? One of the first 12 teams to enter the league but the term Original should only be long to the six teams who built up this league. Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, Boston, Chicago and New York. Though it would go hand in hand with the disgraceful marketing of Original Six duells these games are sold out in no time and yet the NHL doesn't seem to really market them.

Edited by frankgrimes

Pssht. The next thing you know, he'll be saying Ringo was one of the Original Beatles.

It's not so much that it's insulting (which it is) but that in saying it, he looks like a complete idiot who knows nothing about the history of the sport (which he is).

Now that I think of it... I guess this isn't anything we didn't already know.

Perhaps we could call them the "O6:TNG".

Look at Uncle Gary, showing how little he knows about the history of his League! This is yet another line for his Wikipedia entry, under the heading of "Legacy".

He needs to read a book about the history of the League. That way, he'll find out how many cities had original teams (the answer is three). Perhaps Bill Daly can read it to him.