22 replies to this topic

#1 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:34 AM

From TSN:

Ilya Bryzgalov had plenty of time this season to babble on about bears, the universe, the woods, and other arcane bits of knowledge.

He kept quiet on Thursday.

Staying out of the locker room on the day Philadelphia packed up and headed home might be the first sign the Flyers' quirky goalie learned a lesson that he's paid $51 million to win games and not play the room like a late night talk show host.

"His job is to stop pucks and help us win games," Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said. "It's not Comedy Central."

He gets it.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#2 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

Well, as much as Bryz just straight up sucked it in the first round with MAF, he did keep them in games in the second round. Philly needs to realize they have some giant holes in their defense and they can't expect their tendy to always be there to save your ass. Now, I understand he has a beautiful contract and is paid to be that guy, but history says he will never be that guy. I'm not even sure why and how Philly thought Bryz was going to be an all-star goalie by just coming to Philly. Holmgren is absolutely right though, he should focus on play more than just making retarded comments. The media is half to blame though, they've been down his throat trying to get the funny quotes from him. The guy is barely more advanced than Pasha when talking to the American media.

**edit** someone care to explain how the hell this got neg'ed rofl

Edited by evilzyme, 11 May 2012 - 11:17 AM.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#3 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

If this is the best that the Philadelphia media can come up with as a "hero", they are desperate. Dance monkey, dance!

#4 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

Obviously Bryzgalov was nowhere near his typical form this season but I think too much is being made of his quirky personality. The only difference from passed seasons and this year is that his quirky personality is getting more attention since he plays for the Flyers and not the Coyotes. It's not like the guy just developed this quickiness over night.

That being said, I don't think enough is being made about the injuries the Flyers had on the blueline this year. Bryzgalov will be better next year.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#5 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

i dont think bryz-nastys humor is bad for a locker room at all...its about his play not his sense of humor

#6 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

Obviously Bryzgalov was nowhere near his typical form this season but I think too much is being made of his quirky personality. The only difference from passed seasons and this year is that his quirky personality is getting more attention since he plays for the Flyers and not the Coyotes. It's not like the guy just developed this quickiness over night.

That being said, I don't think enough is being made about the injuries the Flyers had on the blueline this year. Bryzgalov will be better next year.

Bryz played as he played against the Wings last postseason: poorly.

#7 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

...and this is why 99% of NHL players only give boring cliché answers to every question asked by reporters.

I understand they're disappointed with his play this year, but when goalie after goalie puts up terrible numbers for them, maybe it's time to realize a bit of the blame is on the defense, not on the goalie's personality.

#8 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

...and this is why 99% of NHL players only give boring cliché answers to every question asked by reporters.

I understand they're disappointed with his play this year, but when goalie after goalie puts up terrible numbers for them, maybe it's time to realize a bit of the blame is on the defense, not on the goalie's personality.

The defense was poor, but Bryzgalov was just downright terrible at times.

#9 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,343 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

The defense was poor, but Bryzgalov was just downright terrible at times.

In the first round. He was good enough for the Flyers to beat the Devils.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#10 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

"His job is to stop pucks and help us win games," Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said. "It's not Comedy Central."

Actually, the only reason why I watch the Flyers is for the comedy.

#11 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

Actually, the only reason why I watch the Flyers is for the comedy.

That's funny, the only reason I watch the Flyers is to see them kick the living hell out of Pittsburgh. Either way, I think we both got what we were looking for.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#12 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

nice to get a vote of confidence from you GM known for signing huge contracts and then shipping players with those contract away, huh?

as already said - Flyers defense is brutal. you can blame it on the goalie, but if you don't solve main issue even Lundqvist will not help.

#13 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,228 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

nice to get a vote of confidence from you GM known for signing huge contracts and then shipping players with those contract away, huh?

as already said - Flyers defense is brutal. you can blame it on the goalie, but if you don't solve main issue even Lundqvist will not help.

I agree completely, and I think it has just as much to do with the Flyers style of play as their defensive roster, but it's difficult to fault them entirely when they were playing without Pronger and Mezaros. With those two healthy and in the playoffs I think the Flyers get away with their all-offense mentality, maybe not to win the Cup, but certainly they would have gone deeper than they did.

#14 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

I really adore the fact how Richards is turning it on in LA feels good being douchebag Holmgren doesn't it? Flyers are known for trying to copy the last years Stanley Cup Winner. Brzygalov is no Thomas and the only elite defenseman they Flyers had is hurt (Pronger). I cant believe how many people are shocked by this outcome it was so obvious the Pens/Flyers wouldn't go far with their horrific run and gun style.

Bryzgalov is an above average goalie but nowhere near a Miller, Lundquist, Thomas or Rinne but he is paid to be close to this group. I wouldn't be surprised if the Flyers are pushing hard for Luke Schenn uniting him with his brother.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#15 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

From TSN:

Though he did not make himself available to local reporters on Thursday, Philadelphia Flyers netminder Ilya Bryzgalov freely spoke his mind to a Russian newspaper about being the latest hometown goalie to face the city's wrath.

"What I lived through this season I wouldn't wish to an enemy," he told Natalia Bragilevskaya of SovSport in an interview tranlsated by Philly.com. "I need to keep working. I understand the fans. They paid their money and want the show. But many forget that we are not robots, but living people. We have feelings, worries."

Posted Image

#16 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

Seriously though, does someone care to explain what was so bad about my original post? -_-

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#17 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

Well Bryz wasn't good at all,but at least he'll take some blame unlike his GM.

It's not Comedy Central,but neither is NHL12 Mr.Holmgren.

#18 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,066 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

Bryz played as he played against the Wings last postseason: poorly.

And the year before that too.

The guy put up numbers this postseason that you don't see that often anymore in today's goalie age. Looked like he was playing the 80's Oilers or something.

He's just a fragile goalie that gives up a ridiculous amount of soft goals.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#19 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:22 AM

I agree on Bryz being overrated and overpaid. But where is Holmgren's accountability? The Flyers are paying Pronger for the next 5 years to basically be retired. They are also paying Bryz 7 mil a season for the next 6 years to be Garth Snow. If I'm Ed Snider, I don't want this guy flushing my money down the toilet anymore. Holmgren should be replaced.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#20 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:55 AM

I agree on Bryz being overrated and overpaid. But where is Holmgren's accountability? The Flyers are paying Pronger for the next 5 years to basically be retired. They are also paying Bryz 7 mil a season for the next 6 years to be Garth Snow. If I'm Ed Snider, I don't want this guy flushing my money down the toilet anymore. Holmgren should be replaced.

don't worry. Holmgren is slowly becoming another Wang and players (and agents) start noticing that this is a team that throws big contracts but doesn't deliver lineup strong enough to go deep in playoffs, which leads to players with big contract being blamed and shipped away. with this kind of management Philly will soon become very unwanted place to sign. seriously, I can't imagine a competitive player to chose extra money and risk entire career. I'd rather play for less in good environment and with a shot at the cup.

Edited by akustyk, 12 May 2012 - 05:56 AM.