• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:33 AM

Minecraft has turned from a simple 8 bit concept to an instant gaming hit on the PC and now on consoles. Upon it's release on the Xbox live arcade this past Wednesday, it broke the sales record for most downloads sold in the first 24 hours of any Xbox Arcade title to date.

The premise is fairly simple, you are thrown into a world where you mine for minerals and gems in order to craft a shelter, equipment, and weaponry. During daylight you are free to explore, chop wood, harvest plants, whatever you feel your project of the day should be. Come sundown is when the creatures lurk, and you must seek out shelter or fend them off in the dark in attempt to survive. Once you have a well fortified shelter you may choose to sleep through the night as long as no creatures can enter during that period of time.

Everything in the world is destructable, from the terrain to the animals. If you want to build a city in the sky that towers above the clouds, or dig hundreds of feet into the earth until you tap into lava, the world of Minecraft allows all of it. It's a true sandbox experience that has little limitations on what you can build or create.

I just played this for the first time upon it's release and i've been enthralled by it since, has anyone else played this game and what are your thoughts on it? Graphically the game may turn many away which is unfortunate because there's a very solid and original premise underneath the retro NES visuals. If you haven't tried it, check out the demo. It's not for everyone but if you get into it like I have you'll be happy to have tried it.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#2 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

I've been playing it for literally 15 months now its like Lego on a PC.

For guys complaining about the retro graphics there is already a great mod: made by MESA (just yt it to see how it looks), replacing the 8bit look with highresolution textures.

Although the game now has a creative mode I would still recommend Sinpley Player Commandos to everyone. Working on building the Winged Wheel but its so tough to do need to look for other Addons to make it happenI guess.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#3 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

Thats a good way to describe it, like a digital lego world with building blocks to create whatever you want.

I personally have no problem with the way the game looks, and having it on xbox I don't have much option to upgrade the textures with mods or anything. The game is so good and seamless that I was able to overlook the graphics almost immediately. Play it for five minutes and you'll probably hate it, invest in a couple hours and those few hours will turn into days.. then weeks.. once you get it there's no going back. Long term, I can see myself putting more time into this game than I did with Skyrim or Fallout 3 because there's just so much replayability and so much to go back to.

Glad to see i'm not the only one that's completely absorbed into this game. :thumbup:

#4 commadore183

commadore183

Versus televised America's last nuclear bomb test

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

I love Minecraft. It is pretty addicting and you can lose yourself in it for hours. Here's a pretty good review on Minecraft:

http://www.escapistm.../2680-Minecraft

I prefer Survival mode as I like to work to get the materials I need for a project, whether a castle, a town, or a floating fortress.
Mike Illich does not care about Detroit. Boycott 2013 Winter Cla$$ic.
Skilled hockey is, and will forever be, winning hockey. Deal with it.
"A perfect vision, some simple ways to let you know
Free range humans all couped up naked clone is playing lame" Avon by Queens of the Stone Age

#5 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

I've had it on PC since before the beta release when it cost $10. Haven't tried it yet on xbox but yes I'd recommend it. Pretty fun game.

#6 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

I love Minecraft. It is pretty addicting and you can lose yourself in it for hours. Here's a pretty good review on Minecraft:

http://www.escapistm.../2680-Minecraft

I prefer Survival mode as I like to work to get the materials I need for a project, whether a castle, a town, or a floating fortress.

At the moment i'm just building and exploring on "peaceful" mode which is basically monster free come nightfall. Once I get more comfortable with the game and learn the ins and outs i'll go back to putting it on normal for a bit of a challenge.

When I first starting playing, I remember spending days building a fortress not knowing that Creepers exploded. I got a few trapped in my fortress with me because I didn't make the floor stone and a few detonated creepers later I had some walls and a lot of craters. My fortress was rubble and I lost hours of building time.

It's very fun and addictive, I see this as one of those games i'll constantly go back to and mess around with.

#7 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

Skin Pack 1 is now available on the xbox marketplace, includes 40 new skins for your playable character, including Master Chief from Halo. Price is 160 MS points, or about two dollars. Well worth the price for all you Minecraft fanatics out there.

#8 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,338 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:27 AM

I cannot get enough of this game. I started off by watching videos of the game (man,woman, minecraft is a must watch as is X's adventures) and finally got the courage to get this game a few months ago.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users