• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

So in recent weeks, my longtime pet cat who is now 13 began to have a decline in health and suffered from weight loss. I took him to the vet a couple days ago and it turns out that he has Lymphoma Cancer. With the inability to pay the thousands of dollars that it would cost to put him through chemotherapy i'm facing the fact that i'm probably going to have to put him down.

The fact is, i've had him since he was 6 weeks old, and as I knew the owner of the cat who birthed him, I saw him when he was two days old and frequently until he was able to leave his mother and come into my ownership. He's been attached to my hip ever since, greeted me at the door every day when I got home and sleeps at the foot of my bed every night. I'm completely devastated and i'm trying to find a way to deal with the inevitable loss of my long-time pet and friend, and i'm wondering if anyone else out there has lost a dog, a cat, or a pet that was very close to them.

Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#2 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,660 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

I'm so sorry, Paul.

Putting him down is the right decision if he is suffering. I know they can do treatments, but animals don't understand why you're putting them through the pain.

It's better to do it before they are really sick. I've waited too long before, and regretted that I made him suffer needlessly.

It is hard, and there's no easy way to do it. Even making the decisions of when and how is not easy.

Love him like crazy, and then let him go as gently as possible, so that his last thoughts are of you loving him.

Money on the board:  Current total: 0

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#3 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

I'm so sorry Paul. Making that decision is very hard, like Karen said knowing when the right time is sometimes the hardest choice. We had to put our cat down when he was just 1 1/2 and he had him from a kitten as well. Just love him like always...even more for now and when you decide it's time be there with him. He knows how much you love him and he will always have that.

Good luck. (((hugs)))

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#4 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,397 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

I know just how you feel, Paul. Same thing happened with me and my cherished Siamese kitty. He had the same disease, even. My aunt gave me my cat as a tiny baby, because his mother got an infection and died. So, I also raised him from a tiny kitten (with eyedroppers of kitten infant formula).

You cannot replace your cat. I know, I know... I still grieve for mine. He was one of a kind, just like your buddy is.

Taking your ill pet to the vet to have them safely and humanely put down is the absolute ultimate act of love, in my opinion. Honestly? I would rather have put my brother down, than that Siamese cat. I cried and cried, but I also knew he was out of pain and it was the best. He knew I loved him more than anything, so I hope that where-ever his little feline soul is, he's chasing birds and bugs -- and maybe catching them occasionally... something he never mastered here on Earth. :)

Hang in there. When you have had time to think, you will do the right thing. (((hugs)))

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#5 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

Very sorry for your loss. Hope everybody can be at peace with everything.

#6 malts85

malts85

Jr. Prospect

• 24 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this like the others I know what it feels like to lose our beloved pets. I had a pug named Cookie that I had from 6 weeks old and in January 2008 we noticed that she was constantly drinking and going to the bathroom and messing in the house which was not like her. I took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with diabetes. The vet had told me that most people decide to put their pets down because they can't handle giving the insulin shots and testing the blood sugar levels. I gave her her insulin treatments and although they helped her the diabetes eventually took over her little body and it just wasn't helping anymore. I knew I couldn't put her through the pain anymore of giving her the needles when she was basically skin and bones. I made the appointment with the vet in August 2008 and let her go to a better place. Although it was hard to do I knew it was for the better.

My other dog who died recently (September 2011) which still hurts even more, was Brutus my bulldog, it was so sudden and unexpected. He was three weeks shy of his 4th birthday. I'm actually having an oil painting done of him. I just miss him so much.

#7 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:43 AM

Thanks for all the kind replies and comments, i've decided that Wednesday i'm going to be parting with him. I know it's for the best for him and i'm not going to be greedy and allow him to suffer and decline further because I don't want him to go.

Oddly enough, past two days i've gotten home from work there's been a stray kitten on the porch of my house, never seen him before but he doesn't seem interested in leaving. Maybe it's a sign or a gift, who knows. He may find himself inside by the end of the week if he sticks around.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#8 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,660 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:57 AM

All the best, Paul. If you need us, we're only a click away.

Money on the board:  Current total: 0

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#9 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

Good luck Paul, I'll keep you both my thoughts this week.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users