• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

Sooooooo..... I guess we could say that Kane is the Nick Farley of the Chicago Blackhawks then. They are both about the same age, one smokes and speeds, while the other drinks like a fish. These cases show the two young men need help. I really believe the teams need to step up and help these guys out before they end up dead and then you have everyone asking why???

#62 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

I expect people in their early 20s to be drunken idiots. I don't expect them to be drunken idiots in public. Keep that s*** at home, Sparkles.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#63 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

As far as I know I can give him credit for not driving while he's partying. This gets him points with me. At 21 I was making twofitty an hour and was more than my share of stupid.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#64 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,917 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

Patrick Sharp has his back (at least in the media); no word yet from Toews.
Maybe those rumours about his "injury" prior to last season are true.

Please remind me. I recall some rumour about an injury, but I don't remember what it was.

From the looks of the company he keeps, I'd think he'd be more prone to off-season disease than injury.

#65 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

Please remind me. I recall some rumour about an injury, but I don't remember what it was.

From the looks of the company he keeps, I'd think he'd be more prone to off-season disease than injury.

:lol:
IPB Image

#66 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

Posted Image

I lol'd

On a more serious note, much ado about nothing.

#67 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:59 PM

He was supposedly "injured" prior to this past season. What is said at approximately the three-minute mark in this episode on TSN's OTR makes more than a little sense.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#68 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:31 PM

Posted Image

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#69 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:43 AM

I expect people in their early 20s to be drunken idiots. I don't expect them to be drunken idiots in public. Keep that s*** at home, Sparkles.

Indeed, I am 22 and am currently drunk but have sufficient experience from my university days to be able to type flawlessly whilst mashed on vodka-cokes and shots of Jagermeister. It's ok though, as I wake up every morning to a pot of fresh coffee to start the day, which I Irish up.

Now I've finished being flippant, this guy embarrasses me as someone in their 20s and you know what, I have nothing against you for having the expectation that people in their 20s are drunken idiots. Heck I know it to be true. I find it sad how people (including a lot of my friends) will seek out the bar that serves shots for 1.50 or a jug of some rancid cocktail for a fiver rather than going to a place where they can have a good time with friends and enjoy a drink rather than stumble outside at 1/2am and introduce it into the gutter, ready to start again. And sadly this happens EVERY WEEK. People in the limelight like Patrick Kane (although I have to admit over here only one person I know would have any idea who he is but it's universal to young sports stars this side of the Atlantic as well) seem to encourage this sort of behaviour not through endorsement but through persistant representation. A player on the rugby team that I support was caught twice driving whilst drunk and was subsequently banned from driving, fined, and dropped from the England team. As someone who is paid quite a bit of money (not as much as most other professional sports) he admitted the driving and the fine were more an inconvenience but losing international rugby was devistating to him. Patrick Kane wont care if you fine him or ban him from certain bars or what-have-you, but a US court telling him he's banned from US hockey for the next Olympics would soon sort him out. All that remains after that is to see whether USA Hockey stands by the decision or values winning over setting a good example for developing players and kids and therefore the future of the game in the country.

Lol... I wonder what they would have to put in the box that states "Injury" when registering him for LTIR? :P

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#70 plopster

plopster

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

Obviously I don't know the guy personally, but from the outward appearances on the ice and in public, it would seem like a classic case of spoiled rich boy who never got a beating when he was a kid and thinks he can do whatever he wants. It would have been nice if franzen had done more than rip that mouth guard out.
mccarty3

#71 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

I don't get the ire here. If he's a 20-cent punk, who cares? He's not our 20-cent punk to worry about. I don't see him as disgracing the game - he's a kid not handling wealth and pressure well. It's not like he drunk-vomited on the President during the Hawks trip to the White House.

And for the vast majority who are too young to know the phrase, it's supposed to be a "two-bit punk"; I just personalized it for him. :)
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#72 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

I never realized but read that picture was taken at the last Olympics?

Is that true???

i don't doubt that.

that individual on his right looks like a russian weightlifter.
Posted Image

#73 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:19 AM

Chicago Sun-Times.

He has to call a press conference to tell people he's "sorry"? Was he working on his script in rehab?
He didn't have to do that; we all know he's sorry.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#74 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,012 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

Chicago Sun-Times.

He has to call a press conference to tell people he's "sorry"? Was he working on his script in rehab?
He didn't have to do that; we all know he's sorry.

Besides, didn't he say basically the same thing after the limo photos surfaced? you know, the one he had on his t-shirt when he went and got hammered this last time on cinco de mayo? or maybe it was the cab driver incident, I can't remember.

Either way, the words ring hollow until he actually stops showing up in pictures pass out drunk looking like a d-bag.

#75 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

Patrick Kane wont care if you fine him or ban him from certain bars or what-have-you, but a US court telling him he's banned from US hockey for the next Olympics would soon sort him out. All that remains after that is to see whether USA Hockey stands by the decision or values winning over setting a good example for developing players and kids and therefore the future of the game in the country.

I don't think a "US Court" is really necessary. Can't the Blackhawks organization, on their own, prohibit him from participating in any exhibitions and tournaments? Furthermore, can't they just start fining his ass (not money, but sit him) for embarrassing everyone?

The attitude here is rather odd...everyone is saying "oh, he's a kid". No, he's an adult that makes millions of dollars playing NHL hockey while tons of kids watch. 10 years ago, everyone would have said that. Now, he's "just a kid".

Stan Bowman sure isn't like his father. I can only imagine what Scotty would have done!

Edited by evilmrt, 21 July 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#76 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

I think this type of behavier goes on a lot more then we realize with NHL players. These ARE kids blowing off steam. Should Kane know better? Yep. He seems to be a bit of a slow learner. The problem I see with him is that he tends to party with regular joes that love nothing more then to take pictures of him him wasted. Dude, grab some of your buddies that you trust and rent a cabin somewhere and get at it if you want. In a world full of social media and cell phone cameras you have to be a lot more careful then he is being.

#77 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

Patrick really was never "normal" from what I remember, I played against him a couple times, and practiced with him pretty often when he played around here. He was fine on the ice, but once he got off the ice he never really clicked with anyone, wasn't bullied or anything, but he definitely didn't seem to fit in. Wouldn't surprise me if the lack of social skills translated into some substance abuse.

He was a good kid from what I remember, but no one really got to know him too well. He's a great hockey player, hopefully he can get the off ice stuff under control.

#78 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

I really hate this brat. Beating up 60 year old cab drivers says it all. It's one thing to get drunk at a bar, it happens but when you beat up an old man then 2 year later - this, How do you think that kind of behavior would go over if he played for the Wings?

This guy is #2 on my hated NHL players list right behind you know who
Do or do not. There is no try