• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwingfan19

Dale Hunter steps down as Caps' coach

Rate this topic

AM980 London ‏ @AM980News

[THIS JUST IN] Dale Hunter has resigned as Washington Capitals head coach; will reportedly be on bench with Knights at Mem. Cup #ldnont #fb

So Hunter stepped down as the Caps coach to return to London and take care of business.

A bit surprised but not really. Surprised at the fact that he turned the Caps season around and got them to game 7 of the second round. However, the team that he owns and has coached the past 10-11 years is in the Memorial Cup so i'm not surprised he returned.

Dale Hunter steps down

I really didn't expect this, but probably being too far from home was a major concern for him. The Capitals finally found a coach that was able to push them deep into the playoffs with a defensive style, and they couldn't retain him. I don't think the Capitals are going to regress, but its still something to think about.

Hopefully someone can clarify for me...Couldn't he just go back to the knights until the memorial cup is over, then come back to coaching the caps after it's over without stepping down? Why did he have to step down? Does he just not like coaching them that much? I mean he did pretty well for his first year...

Hopefully someone can clarify for me...Couldn't he just go back to the knights until the memorial cup is over, then come back to coaching the caps after it's over without stepping down? Why did he have to step down? Does he just not like coaching them that much? I mean he did pretty well for his first year...

I believe a lot of the issue was the travel. His family lives up near the Knights. I don't think he wants to be away from them.

I believe he could, but from what I've seen, I don't think that he wants to.

As mentioned previously, Puck Daddy has a pretty good article on the WHY Hunter stepped down, whereas most other articles just give you the who/what/when/etc.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Not surprising. So now who replaces him? Can any coach COACH Ovie? I think Babs and maybe Tippett could. But they're both unavailable. I wonder if McPhee has anyone in mind.

Not surprised at all, Hunter did a great job but wanted to be closer to home.

On a side note, I hope Semin leaves the Caps. Would do Ovi some good...get him out of this funk. He's been playing alright but the ego is flying high along with the lack of effort I've seen the past few seasons for long stretches. He's an excellent player when he turns it on, when the passion runs hot but he needs someone to push it out of him.

Not surprising. So now who replaces him? Can any coach COACH Ovie? I think Babs and maybe Tippett could. But they're both unavailable. I wonder if McPhee has anyone in mind.

Ron Wilson (honta yo, again), Paul Maurice, Marc Crawford, Bob Hartley are some names that immediately popped out.