• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ogreslayer

Alex Semin officially going to free agency

Rate this topic

Not gonna comment on Tatar, as I haven't seen enough of the guy to have a truly informed take on him.

Parise is 5'11, 195. His game's not unlike Helm's - and he's good for ~30 goals a season and clutch posteason performance.

Semin's lazy, often half-interested (at best), not physical, not good for use on the PP or PK - it's a long list. We want to get less lazy, see less floating, be more engaged and aggressive on the forecheck & backcheck and in the corners and in front of the opposition's net, be more defensively responsible, be more committed to winning.

We don't want Semin.

Zack Parise and 30 goals aren't going to help you against Nashville or St.Louis ,two the biggest teams in the NHL.Goals was not Detroit's problem during the season.The playoffs they got pushed around.

We also did not get goals that we needed. Fact is it became extremely apparent that Pavel and Hank need better players to work with. To be honest, I think Kenny should PRESS to get Parise AND Semin and here is why. Parise is not a "Sniper" he is a hard worker who scores all sorts of different kind of goals, therefore I think he would work a lot better playing with Hank then Pavel. But Pavel still needs a legitimate sniper who can score goals and semin would provide that (and he is right handed).

Imagine:

Semin- Datsyuk- Homer

Parise- Zetterberg- Franzen

Cleary- Filpulla- Bertuzzi

Miller- Helm- Abs/Eaves

I know it is wishful thinking, but that would be a much more improved team. ALso, I know many don't like HOmer on the top line, but I feel having him on the top line benefits the team as a whole because he slows down the 4th line, and he can make the top line more effective by retrieving pucks and screening the goalie.

Zack Parise and 30 goals aren't going to help you against Nashville or St.Louis

Do we need to get bigger and tougher? Yes.

Do we need a legitimate goal-scoring threat? Yes.

Do we [insert any one of our numerous other issues]? Yes.

So many people here seem to honestly believe it all boils down to one thing. "We lost to the Predators because [insert one thing]." I know we all have our axes to grind. I know we all have our pet gripes with the team (or else, with the people who have pet gripes with the team). But let's be fair and objective.

Edited by Dabura

I wasn't yet talking about Semin in the part of my reply that you quoted. But, s*** - I won't pretend I'm not surprised and impressed @ those numbers. (They really are almost identical.) And I won't try to cover myself after the fact and say I was really talking more about all the stuff that doesn't show up on the score-sheet. (I was indeed thinking mainly in terms of about goals, assists, points.)

All things considered, though, I think it's definitely fair to say that Parise is the all-around 'clutchier' playoff performer. With Semin, you're getting one thing and one thing only: goals and assists. Parise brings a boatload more to the fold.

I do agree with you. The kind of work ethic you describe, about going into the corners, is possessed by Parise. I believe he has that kind of hard nosed work ethic that I saw through the season, playoffs, and even the olympics. At the same time though, for every great thing I think about Parise, I also think about his injury that he sustained that knocked him out for a balance of the season last year. I also look at the identical numbers and think that Semin could be a better bargain for the Wings at $5 million a season than Parise at $6 million (if the numbers worked out like that).

Here is how I think about it.

Semin pluses: Has raw skill, stays healthy

Semin minues: Work ethic issues

Parise pluses: Works hard in the corners, has skill

Parise minues: Is his knee healthy?

At one point in time, I was thinking "no way" on Semin. Now, just looking at the numbers, and the possible upswing, I like the possibilities of having him. Parise would be my first choice, but Semin would be a worthy addition at $5 million a season.

All good points around.

A little off topic, but we weren't a Zach Parise away from being serious Cup contenders.

Even if we get Parise, that doesn't solve our lack of size problem nor does it COMPLETELY solve our lack of sniper problem (if you ax me, Parise isn't a "pure sniper"). Though that point becomes moot if Franzen settles back in to his "2nd scorer" role that he had in 08 and 09 behind Hank and Hossa. He played well back then....

I have a feeling that the idiot GMs in the NHL are gonna drive up the price of free-agents like they did last year (James Wizniewski "Detroit doesn't pay market value"). Then we will be in a tough spot: Parise cannot make more than Pav....at least i don't think he can.

We are no more than "playing well" away from being a serious contender. For most of the season we were near the top of the standings, near the top in GF and GA. That wasn't a fluke or luck. We have issues, as every single team in the league does every single season. It is not possible to put together a team that is too good to lose. By far the most important factor in the playoffs is just playing well. Of course you need talent, and we already have that. Build of the roster or style of play means very little. Whatever you do, you have to do well. Better than your opponent does whatever they do.

We could add Parise, Suter, Gaustad, Moen, bring Nick and Helm back, trade Franzen for Perry, trade Miller for Dustin Brown, add whatever goon and a couple big bruising defensemen for the third pair, and whatever else everyone says we "need"...and if we don't play well, we'll still likely lose in the first round.

Of course, we should still try to get better, both in raw talent and versatility of style. But we don't need a complete overhaul, and the season won't be over if we miss out on all the prize free agents.

I have a feeling that the idiot GMs in the NHL are gonna drive up the price of free-agents like they did last year (James Wizniewski "Detroit doesn't pay market value"). Then we will be in a tough spot: Parise cannot make more than Pav....at least i don't think he can.

Zetterberg makes a little over a mil more than Pav. He has since 10-11. His cap hit isn't higher but so far the money he actually receives is more. After 12-13, Z will make 7.5 mil for another four years.

I believe that gives some kind of standard by which the Wings will try to abide if the Wings somehow pull off another lifetime contract for Parise. In that situation I feel like they would aim for an ideal (to say the least) cap hit in between Z's and Pav's.

We are in for a long wait for free agent signings anyway. They have to hash out a new CBA first before we see any news. Going to be a long summer from the way it looks. I just hope they can work out a deal before September.

All good points around.

A little off topic, but we weren't a Zach Parise away from being serious Cup contenders.

Even if we get Parise, that doesn't solve our lack of size problem nor does it COMPLETELY solve our lack of sniper problem (if you ax me, Parise isn't a "pure sniper"). Though that point becomes moot if Franzen settles back in to his "2nd scorer" role that he had in 08 and 09 behind Hank and Hossa. He played well back then....

But he does. He solves the Top 6 problem. With a healthy Helm our 3rd line is dangerous again, and with Homer gone we can build a quality 4th line.

Now, I'm all for getting more than just Parise, but he actually would push us over the edge and make us contenders, with only a few minor tweaks (4th line center) left to make.