• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ogreslayer

Alex Semin officially going to free agency

Rate this topic

So if not Parise, what does everyone think of Kenny going after Semin for the top 6? Personally, I would much rather see Nyquist get a chance over bringing someone with Semin's history of slacking into the mix.

Story here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1183658-washington-capitals-alex-semin-to-be-a-free-agent

Edited by ogreslayer

Guest Hatethedrake!

I was all for trading for Semin last summer due to his high skill level. But he is everything the Wings do not need.

Saw another story where Semin's said he wants to go somewhere he can increase the amount of responsibility he takes on including penalty kill time. Semin on the pk? No thank you.

As far as signing him on the cheap, I don't see that happening. If he's looking to sign for big responsibilities/big minutes that also means big money. Buyer beware imo. I think ultimately, he'll chase the big money all the way to the KHL. If Kenny can't land Parise, it's time to give one of the youngsters like Nyquist or Tatar a chance instead.

I don't want Semin at all, but I wouldn't throw a fit if we picked him up cheap. Semin would be smart to sign on with a good team for a year with a low contract, have another successful season, drive up his price again and hit the free agent market again. This is a very "what have you done lately" kind of league. He won't get very much this off season.

If Kenny can't land Parise, it's time to give one of the youngsters like Nyquist or Tatar a chance instead.

Nyquist or Tatar could maybe sub for Hudler, or for Bertuzzi (as he's almost certainly playing on the third line next season) - but they're not viable alternatives to a guy like Parise.

We need an elite goal-scorer, one with a solid overall game (hence no to Semin). Beyond Parise, there's no one in this UFA pool who fits the bill. (I like David Jones...as a Hudler upgrade.) So we'd have to trade. Which isn't happening. So we need Parise.

I don't want Semin at all, but I wouldn't throw a fit if we picked him up cheap. Semin would be smart to sign on with a good team for a year with a low contract, have another successful season, drive up his price again and hit the free agent market again. This is a very "what have you done lately" kind of league. He won't get very much this off season.

I'm fully expecting him to fetch at least 6 million.

$6 mil for a guy that had a career low in goals (21)? I think not. He'll get $3-4 mil maybe.

Ridiculous, completely unjustifiable overpayment is the norm these days. Add to that the fact that this UFA pool is mighty thin, and you can expect 5 million at the very, very least.

Not putting you down. You're being totally reasonable. It's just, Reason up and left the NHL many moons ago.

He scored at a rate less than one point every 2 games last year. Who cares about Semin, unless we can have him for like 3 million/yr.

Yes, I think if he signs for a Hudler-type salary, he would be a nice project to see if he indeed does have chemistry with Datsyuk. Parise is imperative though and I would like to see both signed! If for some reason Holland cannot get Parise, Semin cannot and would not be a viable plan b alone....Holland would have to obtain someone else in the Parise mold as a plan B. Of course with all the talk about re-signing Homer, getting two new FA's is pretty much out of the question. I really just wish that Holland would let the past go... Not unless he ditches BOTH Emmerton and Mursak, re-signs Homer AND signs Parise and Semin...that could be a pretty good lineup...

Ridiculous, completely unjustifiable overpayment is the norm these days. Add to that the fact that this UFA pool is mighty thin, and you can expect 5 million at the very, very least.

Not putting you down. You're being totally reasonable. It's just, Reason up and left the NHL many moons ago.

I know where you're coming from and the league does typically overpay for players in the summer, but usually they overpay for the cream of the crop. Parise will likely have some absurd offer thrown his way. Suter will too. Semin, I don't know if he's in the same class as them. Like if he was coming off a typical Semin type of year (30-40 goal pace) somebody would throw $6-9 million his way for sure, but coming off a 21 goal season and another so-so playoff... unless someone is trying to get to the cap floor, I wouldn't expect him to get an offer from anyone that seriously wants to contend.

in his interview to russian gazeta.ru he said his agent's words were misinterpreted and there was no decision either to stay or leave...

i think he wants to stay and all this goes in line with his negotiation strategy.

I have to agree on Semin. It just seems to me that he plays with no sense of urgency or passion. He still has 408 points in 469 games played, which is at the upper part of the league in terms of production. I just wonder how good he would be if he played with an sense of urgency or passion. I bet he could top 100 points in a season if he cared every game. I think he could make a positive contribution in Detroit, but I wouldn't sign him to some crazy contract. I may go as high as $4 million per season, but nothing more than that.

So if not Parise, what does everyone think of Kenny going after Semin for the top 6? Personally, I would much rather see Nyquist get a chance over bringing someone with Semin's history of slacking into the mix.

Story here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1183658-washington-capitals-alex-semin-to-be-a-free-agent

I completely agree; I'd much rather see the Wings give Nyquist the spot over a guy like Semin. Nyquist gives our team a good youth injection and we haven't seen his full ability to operate in an entire 82 game regular season and playoffs. I think he'd become very valuable to our team very quickly. We've all seen Semin and his ability to be Streaky. Give the sport to Gustav!!