• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ogreslayer

Alex Semin officially going to free agency

Rate this topic

What is it with the Russian players? Gone are the days of Larionov and Fetisov. Of course they had struggles in the USSR where as these players have money thrown at them left and right in the new Russia.

No to Semin.

Holland needs to go all in for Parise. He's the top priority.

He should be doing that already, along with trying to land Suter. If they could somehow land Semin to replace Hudler in the 3-4 mill range Id take it. Imagine the Wings landing Parise, Suter & Semin! A summer to remember kids.

40 goal scoring right handed winger with a shoot first mentality? Yes please. Whoever thinks this guy isn't an upgrade over Hudler is on crack.

Still rather have Parise, but if that doesn't happen, Semin is a nice consolation prize IMO. Wouldn't give him anymore than 3 years max, however.

No to Semin.

Holland needs to go all in for Parise. He's the top priority.

Someone yesterday brought up that Detroit ought to keep there eye on Tomas Tatar.The response was that Detroit didn't need another 5'10" 180lb forward,well isn't that what Zack Parise is?

Someone yesterday brought up that Detroit ought to keep there eye on Tomas Tatar.The response was that Detroit didn't need another 5'10" 180lb forward,well isn't that what Zack Parise is?

Semin 6'2" 209ibs

I'd taker Suter+Semin over Parise, personally. Semin might be able to get signed for 3-4 mil if his agent is doesn't price him out of the NHL (which might be the case based on some articles I've read).

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Franzen

Filppula-Zetterberg-Semin

If Franzen and Semin bring their A game, that is a very scary top 6. You also have the luxury of Cleary who hopefully will be better after his surgery and Bertuzzi in your 7-12 spots in case some of those guys feel like taking some night off or if Nyquist isn't NHL-ready.

Then you could have:

Lidstrom-Ericsson

Kronwall-Suter

White-Quincey

That is one scary top 6 with Kindl and Smith ready to move in for guys who aren't producing or who need a rest. I made those pairs because I thought Lidstrom-Ericsson were very solid at the end of the season and Suter would fit nicely in Stuart's spot.

I actually think the Wings in 2012-2013 would be better if they got Semin+Parise because you don't need Suter if Lidstrom doesn't retire, but you don't see guys like Suter become UFAs too often anymore so that signing is really more of a long term move that also makes your D amazing in the short-term. You're best off long-term with Suter+Semin this year, UFA forward next year.

I'd taker Suter+Semin over Parise, personally. Semin might be able to get signed for 3-4 mil if his agent is doesn't price him out of the NHL (which might be the case based on some articles I've read).

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Franzen

Filppula-Zetterberg-Semin

If Franzen and Semin bring their A game, that is a very scary top 6. You also have the luxury of Cleary who hopefully will be better after his surgery and Bertuzzi in your 7-12 spots in case some of those guys feel like taking some night off or if Nyquist isn't NHL-ready.

Then you could have:

Lidstrom-Ericsson

Kronwall-Suter

White-Quincey

That is one scary top 6 with Kindl and Smith ready to move in for guys who aren't producing or who need a rest. I made those pairs because I thought Lidstrom-Ericsson were very solid at the end of the season and Suter would fit nicely in Stuart's spot.

I actually think the Wings in 2012-2013 would be better if they got Semin+Parise because you don't need Suter if Lidstrom doesn't retire, but you don't see guys like Suter become UFAs too often anymore so that signing is really more of a long term move that also makes your D amazing in the short-term. You're best off long-term with Suter+Semin this year, UFA forward next year.

I think as much as you may want Suter,he'll resign with Nashville.As for Quincey I think he's a waste.Smith has gotta start and Kindl gotta stay(#1 draft pick)or you got to get something for him.Can you think what someone like Columbus would give for a player under contract and seasoned like Kindl.All of you keep talking about is getting Semin,Parise and Suter.Were are you going to put them or were are you going with the players that are already here.

40 goal scoring right handed winger with a shoot first mentality? Yes please. Whoever thinks this guy isn't an upgrade over Hudler is on crack.

Still rather have Parise, but if that doesn't happen, Semin is a nice consolation prize IMO. Wouldn't give him anymore than 3 years max, however.

Scoring 40 goals in one season does not make him a 40 goal scoring forward. Cheechoo had a 50 goal season once, should we lock him up with a contract? Past couple seasons he averaged 24 goals per season and he's had a severe decline in production and overall attitude. He isn't not scoring because he's shooting a ton and getting unlucky, he's not scoring because he doesn't give a damn. His one 84 point season was a fluke and i'm confident in predicting that he doesn't come close to a season like that from here on out.

I'm seriously not trying to be a jerk or anything like that, but this guy has bad news written all over him. Overall package, i'll take Hudler underwhelming us over Semin floating around and bringing a s*** attitude to the locker room. We don't need it.

Again, no disrespect intended at all to Tr!PoD, I value everyone's opinion. I just disagree with this one.

Wings had 248 GF this season, 2nd best in the West. I fail to see an urgency to shop for a pure scorer as of now.

to me there are two priorities for Wings heading into the summer: 1. replacing older players with young who can put

similar production (or better if possible) 2. bringing someone to the organization who will fire up the core players and

make this team actually WANT to win. this actually is bigger than first point. this team could use more overall talent

and with so much cap space it actually is expected to fish a big name forward. but first and foremost it needs real hunger.

even Franzen still has it (see: IIHF WC 2012) but someone has to press the right buttons...

A potential salary in the 4-5 million for a lazy, arrogant, moody floater...no dice. Signing Semin would make the die-hardedness of my Wings fannery not so much. I have great faith that Kenny would not sign Semin as Babcock would probably punch him in the face and tell him that's the last ******* straw.

As I said before, this offseason is Parise or bust. And if Nyquist gets top 6 mins all next year, he gets 55-65 pts and wins the Calder.

Wings had 248 GF this season, 2nd best in the West. I fail to see an urgency to shop for a pure scorer as of now.

to me there are two priorities for Wings heading into the summer: 1. replacing older players with young who can put

similar production (or better if possible) 2. bringing someone to the organization who will fire up the core players and

make this team actually WANT to win. this actually is bigger than first point. this team could use more overall talent

and with so much cap space it actually is expected to fish a big name forward. but first and foremost it needs real hunger.

even Franzen still has it (see: IIHF WC 2012) but someone has to press the right buttons...

[/quot

I would like to know who is your "older players " you would or could replace.Because my older players that I replace are under contract.Aka-Burt,Cleary and couple d-men.They have to get faster up front and in there D-men.

Scoring 40 goals in one season does not make him a 40 goal scoring forward. Cheechoo had a 50 goal season once, should we lock him up with a contract? Past couple seasons he averaged 24 goals per season and he's had a severe decline in production and overall attitude. He isn't not scoring because he's shooting a ton and getting unlucky, he's not scoring because he doesn't give a damn. His one 84 point season was a fluke and i'm confident in predicting that he doesn't come close to a season like that from here on out.

I'm seriously not trying to be a jerk or anything like that, but this guy has bad news written all over him. Overall package, i'll take Hudler underwhelming us over Semin floating around and bringing a s*** attitude to the locker room. We don't need it.

Again, no disrespect intended at all to Tr!PoD, I value everyone's opinion. I just disagree with this one.

I should have said potential 40 goal scorer. Know how I know you don't watch this guy? You claim his 84 point season was a fluke. The guy has all the talent in the world, it's just a matter of being able to put it all together. I think our organization and leadership within the locker room can help him with that.

Cheechoo's career got derailed by injuries, btw, dunno what you're getting at with that comment. Semin can still play.

I should have said potential 40 goal scorer. Know how I know you don't watch this guy? You claim his 84 point season was a fluke. The guy has all the talent in the world, it's just a matter of being able to put it all together. I think our organization and leadership within the locker room can help him with that.

Cheechoo's career got derailed by injuries, btw, dunno what you're getting at with that comment. Semin can still play.

Does Semin crash the net, especially during the playoffs?

+1 for the post overall,but still...

Our PP was 22nd in the league with miserable 16.1%,so a sniper should be priority as well.

I'm not sold on Semin,but would mind signing Parenteau for reasonable price

He crashes the net taunting the goalie after he just top shelfed a beautiful pass from Datsyuk. If Semin is legitamately willing to take a discount to play with Datsyuk. That'd be insane. That still give us room to sign some 3rd/4th liners as well as hopefully Suter

Semin 6'2" 209ibs

Not gonna comment on Tatar, as I haven't seen enough of the guy to have a truly informed take on him.

Parise is 5'11, 195. His game's not unlike Helm's - and he's good for ~30 goals a season and clutch posteason performance.

Semin's lazy, often half-interested (at best), not physical, not good for use on the PP or PK - it's a long list. We want to get less lazy, see less floating, be more engaged and aggressive on the forecheck & backcheck and in the corners and in front of the opposition's net, be more defensively responsible, be more committed to winning.

We don't want Semin.

Parise is 5'11, 195. His game's not unlike Helm's - and he's good for ~30 goals a season and clutch posteason performance.

Semin's lazy, often half-interested (at best), not physical, not good for use on the PP or PK - it's a long list. We want to get less lazy, see less floating, be more engaged and aggressive on the forecheck & backcheck and in the corners and in front of the opposition's net, be more defensively responsible, be more committed to winning.

We don't want Semin.

Agreed 100%

Semin probably actually has more natural offensive talent than Parise. That doesn't mean s*** though since he's a much, much less effective player because of his lack of grit, work ethic, and defensive awareness. Conversely, Parise has all of these qualities that Semin's lacking...and he has them in spades.

Parise's forecheck alone would be a huge example for this team. He scores the dirty goals around the net. Semin's another perimeter player. We don't want more players like this. I'd rather have gritty, aggressive, 3rd and 4th liners who are hard on the forecheck and tough to play against. At least we'd then be a more well-rounded team.

Not gonna comment on Tatar, as I haven't seen enough of the guy to have a truly informed take on him.

Clutch postseason performance?

Parise playoffs: 50GP, 17G, 19A, 36P, 0 +/-, 5 PPG, 3 GWG

Semin playoffs: 51GP, 15G, 19A, 34P, -1 +/-, 5 PPG, 4 GWG

Their playoff numbers are almost identical. I will say that I think that Parise is the better all around player, but when you look at the stats heads up, they are both about equal. Semin's work ethic has been questioned in the past at times, but doesn't that mean he has more upside if he was in a crappy system? If Parise is worth $6 million a season to the Wings, and that would be a discount, maybe Semin would be worth $5 million a season.

Honestly, if Semin is willing to come to Detroit for 4-5 million, I think that in itself is a reflection of his attitude and desire to win. If he wants money and/or to coast, he only needs to head to the KHL or a bottom feeder team for another 6.7 million dollar contract.

Admittedly, it's a risk and Parise should be priority number one, but I also don't agree that Semin is as bad as people assume he is. He's got a load of offensive talent, and one of the best, pure shots in the league. Perhaps he wants to mature as a player, and that's part of why he's "moving on". It was said (in the Khan article, I think) that he was playing with Backstrom and Ovie, so why would Zetterberg and Datsyuk be much different? Well... maturity, age, leadership and steady team that isn't a revolving door of coaches? A system and team who KNOWS who they are, but perhaps didn't have the talent and speed to push this season?

As I said, Parise's the first priority, but after that I don't think Semin is a terrible option. The guy has a lot of question marks surrounding him, so I'd hope the team wouldn't sign him to a high hit and term, but something not too out of control wouldn't bother me at all. If the team's mission to upgrade Hudler's position means adding Semin, I actually see that as a positive move.

Edited by Jesusberg

All good points around.

A little off topic, but we weren't a Zach Parise away from being serious Cup contenders.

Even if we get Parise, that doesn't solve our lack of size problem nor does it COMPLETELY solve our lack of sniper problem (if you ax me, Parise isn't a "pure sniper"). Though that point becomes moot if Franzen settles back in to his "2nd scorer" role that he had in 08 and 09 behind Hank and Hossa. He played well back then....

I have a feeling that the idiot GMs in the NHL are gonna drive up the price of free-agents like they did last year (James Wizniewski "Detroit doesn't pay market value"). Then we will be in a tough spot: Parise cannot make more than Pav....at least i don't think he can.

Edited by unsaddleddonald

Clutch postseason performance?

Parise playoffs: 50GP, 17G, 19A, 36P, 0 +/-, 5 PPG, 3 GWG

Semin playoffs: 51GP, 15G, 19A, 34P, -1 +/-, 5 PPG, 4 GWG

Their playoff numbers are almost identical. I will say that I think that Parise is the better all around player, but when you look at the stats heads up, they are both about equal.

I wasn't yet talking about Semin in the part of my reply that you quoted. But, s*** - I won't pretend I'm not surprised and impressed @ those numbers. (They really are almost identical.) And I won't try to cover myself after the fact and say I was really talking more about all the stuff that doesn't show up on the score-sheet. (I was indeed thinking mainly in terms of about goals, assists, points.)

All things considered, though, I think it's definitely fair to say that Parise is the all-around 'clutchier' playoff performer. With Semin, you're getting one thing and one thing only: goals and assists. Parise brings a boatload more to the fold.

we weren't a Zach Parise away from being serious Cup contenders.

I think we very possibly were.

Granted, we lost for a number of reasons. (Or, put another way, we sucked on a number of fronts.) But having a guy like Parise in the mix would've made life much easier for us and helped the cause so much.