• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Anyone else notice the Rangers are drafting a LOT better than us?

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

If it wasn't already clear, I'd say it is now - our era of scouting dominance is over. And this is just one example (of many) of a team that's been scouting much, much better than us.

*New York Rangers Relevant Draft Picks Since 2004:

12 - Brian Mitchell (current 4th line center) acquired for a seventh round pick.

09 - #19 overall, Chris Kreider - Looks like a future NHL All-Star.

09 - Brian Boyle (current 3rd line center) acquired for a third round pick.

08 - #51 overall, Derek Stepan. - Second line center. Very productive player. Possible Team USA '14 member.

08 - #20 overall, Michael Del Zotto. - Future NHL ALl-Star (if he wasn't already?). Probable Team Canada '14 member.

07 - #168 overall, Carl Hagelin - First line winger. Very productive player. Possible Team Sweden '14 member.

06 - #54 overall, Artem Anisimov - Having a down year, but still a possible Team Russia '14 member.

05 - #40 overall, Michael Sauer - Hurt right now, but still a possible Team USA '14 member.

05 - #12 overall (high pick), Marc Staal - NHL All-Star, probable Team Canada '14 member.

04 - #127 overall, Ryan Callahan - Captain, Definite Team USA '14 member.

04 - #60 overall, Brandon Dubinsky - Hurt right now, but still a possible Team USA '14 member.

*Scouting Trades: all acquired in ROBBERY (trust me, robbery) player for player deals.

1) Ryan McDonagh (Future All-Star and possible Team USA '14 member)

2) Stu Bickel (current second-pairing defenseman)

3) Brandon Prust (current third line winger)

4) Steve Eminger (usually a third pairing defenseman, but hurt now)

*Scouting Signings: all acquired for next to nothing as free agents that the rest of the league didn't even pursue for the most part.

1) Dan Girardi(current first-pairing defenseman)

2) Ruslan Fedetenko (current third line winger)

3) Anton Stralman (current third-pairing defenseman)

4) Michael Rupp (current fourth line winger)

5) Mats Zuccarello (usually a bottom six forward, but hurt now)

...and what have we done in that time? In the first game of the Nashville series, only four members of our lineup had been acquired by way of the draft since '04:

1) Helm(05, 132nd overall)

2) Abdelkader(05, 42nd overall)

3) Franzen(04, 97th overall)

4) ***If you want to count him*** Quincey(12, 1st round)

not good.

Edited by blueadams

Guest Hatethedrake!

It also helps to have the best goalie in the NHL in net.

It's worth mentioning we keep our guys in the minors much longer, preventing our lineup from being littered with draftees. Tatar, Nyquist, Shaehan, and Smith could all be lopped into that group, but because of the Red Wing way, they are only on the cusp of donning red full time.

Not sure who Jonah Hill is, but at the rate the kids are popping out of the woodwork, maybe they have Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie in the back room somewhere.

From the data above, it does indeed look like they are drafting well.

I'm not worried about it, though. Ours are still in the pipeline awaiting their turn.

"Older" guys like Ericsson, Howard, Flipper were part of the organization before your cutoff date, but are really still young guys.

I'm not taking anything away from the Rangers. They've done a great job. I'm just glad that we still have guys to bring up.

Guest Hatethedrake!

who they drafted 205th overall in 2000

Who drafted Datsyuk and Zetterberg? Glen Sather? I think you should cheer for the Rangers. You seem to jumping on their bandwagon.

Guest blueadams

Who drafted Datsyuk and Zetterberg? Glen Sather? I think you should cheer for the Rangers. You seem to jumping on their bandwagon.

I'm talking about recent drafting competence...and you're talking to me about a 33 year old veteran that's been in the league for going on 11 seasons.

The Rangers have done a very good job drafting, though it's worth mentioning that a few of the picks on your list are lower than any Detroit has had during that time span.

The Wings earliest picks since 2005 are Kindl who was 19th overall, and admittedly has been a disappointment for that draft slot. Sheahan was 21st overall. Smith who's 21st overall, and McCollum who's 30th overall. 4 first round picks since 2005, and McCollum was the very last pick of the first round.

Kreider, Del Zotto and Staal are all very good players but were also earlier picks than the Wings have had (except Kindl and Kreider both being #19), so I don't really consider those as gems the Wings missed.

Kreider has played 13 games in the NHL and is doing well, but I think it's a bit premature to call him a future all star. But overall, I agree. The Rangers have done a helluva job with their picks.

In terms of the Wings drafting, it gets sketchier and sketchier the deeper you go in the draft and they have just not had early picks. And I think the days of finding late round gems in Europe may be gone, or at least harder to come by. The Wings were at the forefront of that, but other franchises have caught up.

It's why Kindl is such a disappointment to me. He's the best pick they've had in a long time and at 25 years old barely looks NHL ready.

who they drafted 205th overall in 2000

Wow. I never realized Henrik was drafted that late.

With their third pick that year the Wings took Stefan Liv. Talk about drafting the wrong Swedish goaltender. Ouch.

Rangers have done well yes but we have too. We draft different players though essentially and have completely different systems on bringing guys into the fold.

No reason to say the Rangers have done a better job than us.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Guest blueadams

The Rangers have done a very good job drafting, though it's worth mentioning that a few of the picks on your list are lower than any Detroit has had during that time span.

The Wings earliest picks since 2005 are Kindl who was 19th overall, and admittedly has been a disappointment for that draft slot. Sheahan was 21st overall. Smith who's 21st overall, and McCollum who's 30th overall. 4 first round picks since 2005, and McCollum was the very last pick of the first round.

Kreider, Del Zotto and Staal are all very good players but were also earlier picks than the Wings have had (except Kindl and Kreider both being #19), so I don't really consider those as gems the Wings missed.

Kreider has played 13 games in the NHL and is doing well, but I think it's a bit premature to call him a future all star. But overall, I agree. The Rangers have done a helluva job with their picks.

In terms of the Wings drafting, it gets sketchier and sketchier the deeper you go in the draft and they have just not had early picks. And I think the days of finding late round gems in Europe may be gone, or at least harder to come by. The Wings were at the forefront of that, but other franchises have caught up.

It's why Kindl is such a disappointment to me. He's the best pick they've had in a long time and at 25 years old barely looks NHL ready.

Wow. I never realized Henrik was drafted that late.

With their third pick that year the Wings took Stefan Liv. Talk about drafting the wrong Swedish goaltender. Ouch.

staal at 12 was really the only high pick.

delzotto went 20th

kreider 19th like you said.

staal at 12 was really the only high pick.

delzotto went 20th

kreider 19th like you said.

Right. And my point was that since 2005 the Wings have had almost few picks close to 19th or 20th, with the exception of Kindl.

2006 41st overall - emmerton

2007 21st overall - Smith

2008 30th overall - McCollum

2009 32nd overall - Ferrarro

2010 21st overall - Sheahan

2011 35th overall - Jurco

It's not like they missed Del Zotto, Kreider and Stall those years. they never had a shot at them. The closest picks to those guys are Smith and Sheehan. Smith will be on the Wings next season and hopefully will impress. Sheahan remains to be seen.

But overall I agree, the Rangers have done a very good job with their picks.

I don't disagree that the Rangers have done a good job bringing in young guys, but I don't think that means they scout and draft better. They have had a younger team over the last few seasons and there has been room for young guys in their organization to move up. Not so with the Wings. The only guy we've drafted since 2006 who sees regular minutes is Emmerton and even he probably wouldn't have been in the lineup as much as we was if not for injuries. This is not to say that we're not playing guys because they're bad, we're not playing guys because in the recent past we've had a veteran team who was able to compete successfully each years, so why bring new guys in? We've got a ton of young talent waiting in the fold and over the next couple of seasons as our old guys retire you're going to see more and more of our picks from 2007-2012 coming into the NHL, while New York will have fewer picks breaking their lineup during the same time frame because there won't be any place for them. In the post cap era, these waves are going to happen because you can't constantly fills holes through free agency, we just happen to have a nearly full lineup after the cap while the Rangers didn't.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest blueadams

I don't disagree that the Rangers have done a good job bringing in young guys, but I don't think that means they scout and draft better. They have had a younger team over the last few seasons and there has been room for young guys in their organization to move up. Not so with the Wings. The only guy we've drafted since 2006 who sees regular minutes is Emmerton and even he probably wouldn't have been in the lineup as much as we was if not for injuries. This is not to say that we're not playing guys because they're bad, we're not playing guys because in the recent past we've had a veteran team who was able to compete successfully each years, so why bring new guys in? We've got a ton of young talent waiting in the fold and over the next couple of seasons as our old guys retire you're going to see more and more of our picks from 2007-2012 coming into the NHL, while New York will have fewer picks breaking their lineup during the same time frame because there won't be any place for them. In the post cap era, these waves are going to happen because you can't constantly fills holes through free agency, we just happen to have a nearly full lineup after the cap while the Rangers didn't.

"We've got a stacked team so we just can't make room for all the great prospects we have. They suck, so they get to plug all those guys right in."

Dude. The Rangers. Their prospects are all on their team already (with a lot - maybe even more than us - still on the way). And they would just mop the floor with our current "stacked" squad that is so good room can't be made for "stud" prospects.

We've fallen behind the Rangers and others scouting wise. Hard to see it any other way.

"We've got a stacked team so we just can't make room for all the great prospects we have. They suck, so they get to plug all those guys right in."

Dude. The Rangers. Their prospects are all on their team already (with a lot - maybe even more than us - still on the way). And they would just mop the floor with our current "stacked" squad that is so good room can't be made for "stud" prospects.

We've fallen behind the Rangers and others scouting wise. Hard to see it any other way.

Reactionary much? I wasn't saying that we're better than the Rangers now. I was saying that we were MUCH better than the Rangers immediately after 2004 (the season you started keeping track of the Rangers Picks), and because of that our lineup has been set for a number of years. Therefore, guys drafted between 2006-2012 could not crack our lineup like they could for the Rangers. Obviously, those roles are reversed now, the Rangers are pretty much all set and we'll see a lot of turnover in the coming years so more of our young talent will start seeing NHL time.

I thought I had made that pretty clear in the first post, but thanks for giving me time to practice saying the same thing more than once.

Added Note: Weren't you the guy who started a thread about how Jarnkrok is good enough to be on the team, along with Tatar and Nyquist? Now add to them, Smith, Pullkinen, Jurco, Ouellet, and Mrazek and you've got a large chunk of our drafts between 2006-2012 who will probably all make the team and could potentially be game breakers. Why do you think they haven't played yet? Because they're not any good? Nope. There's no place to put them...or rather, there hasn't been any place to put them. Obviously that's changing.

Edited by kipwinger

They sure mopped us up in that 2-1 OT romping they gave us, with TPH and Jimmy out of the lineup.

Not sure who Jonah Hill is, but at the rate the kids are popping out of the woodwork, maybe they have Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie in the back room somewhere.

From the data above, it does indeed look like they are drafting well.

I'm not worried about it, though. Ours are still in the pipeline awaiting their turn.

"Older" guys like Ericsson, Howard, Flipper were part of the organization before your cutoff date, but are really still young guys.

I'm not taking anything away from the Rangers. They've done a great job. I'm just glad that we still have guys to bring up.

Jonah Hill and Brad Pitt were in the movie Money Ball together..... Got nominated for 6 Academy Awards

But yeah our drafting dominance is still very much in effect....our boys just spend more time in the minors than New York's....only real difference

I feel like this is a "The grass is always greener on the other side," type situation. In that time frame, the Wings were better than the Rangers in every season except this one. Datsyuk-Zetterberg were Red Wing draft picks, Richards-Gaborik were not NYR draft picks. Red Wings wait until their prospects are "over-ripe," Rangers don't. The Rangers draft picks were given the opportunity to make the big club with a big role, and they seized it and look to have panned out. The Red Wings prospects for the most part haven't been given that opportunity, so the jury's still out. Not trying to take away from the Rangers, but these aren't really 2 comparable situations.

Also, some of these young guys need to keep improving. How many times have we seen players surprise everyone one year and disappear the next, or look like a top 6 forward in the playoffs and then go back to normal the following regular season?

This is one reason why I think that leaving guys out of the NHL for so long is not a good idea. I think that prospects need time to develop to a certain point, then they need to make the jump when they are ripe (not overripe). There is a transition to the nhl regardless of your age or how long you played in the AHL and I think if they don't get the shot young enough they just waste the good young years of their careers and then spend their mid 20s trying to figure it out at the nhl level. Not to mention they never get a good long shot at the NHL because the second they screw up its back to GR or riding pine and a vet takes their spot back for 20 games. Hope this doesn't happen to Smith.

This is the first time in god knows how long that the Rangers make it past the 2nd round, and it's the first time in like 6 years that we don't make it past the 1st round.. all of a sudden we are looking at the Rangers as a model organization?

Yes they've drafted well, mostly in their North-American drafting where the Wings are not known for being among the best. They've got role-players that fit in with their system. But imo the OP is overrating several guys a lot.. especially someone like Kreider. And Del Zotto has been very up and down, at times terrible and at times great.

Most of their drafted players fit the mold of hard-working, shot-blocking, not very skilled, role-player. Credit goes to them for knowing what to look for and finding it.

But remember we have Smith, Järnkrok, Pulkkinen, Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco etc. on the way. And I think the Rangers would LOVE to have Helm, or even Abdelkader.