• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ogreslayer

2012 Lockout Watch

Rate this topic

Guest Hatethedrake!

...and now Deep Thoughts by Gary Bettman...I once negotiated a CBA with the NHLPA and thought OH BOY THIS IS ONE HECK OF A DEAL, HOW COULD THE PLAYERS ACCEPT THIS? Then I found out that it was a bad deal and that all the General Managers were bumbling idiots.

I hope, Fehr will wipe the floor with this stupid commisioner and some of the "play it cheap because others are paying for us" owners.

Last time owners got what they wanted and now their *own* ideas aren't good enough any longer?

Screw them, I'll side with Fehr and the NHLPA, lets go!

I hope, Fehr will wipe the floor with this stupid commisioner and some of the "play it cheap because others are paying for us" owners.

Last time owners got what they wanted and now their *own* ideas aren't good enough any longer?

Screw them, I'll side with Fehr and the NHLPA, lets go!

Christ.....

What we need are less people to side with one side or the other and more people who want to see BOTH sides work out a deal. Lets make sure as fans of the sport that we want to see an NHL season. To hell with one side over the other. Its a sport with 3.3 billion dollars of revenue. They should be able to work out a deal and not sacrifice part or all of the season. If there are any games lost, or a season lost, I will be blaming both sides equally for being idiots. After all, it was both sides that contributed to the last lockout.

Sure it were both, but the owners celebrated like they "won" and well they got *everything* in the CBA.

Now they are saying it's not good enough anymore? Give me a break.

Fehr already said the players would be willing to accept status quo. This to screams another lockout > owners fault.

Actually, both sides celebrated because they got what they wanted in the last CBA. The league got "cost certainty" while the players got to keep their guaranteed contracts and early unrestricted free agency. The owners did get a little more, but that was to be expected.

Fehr has said that he would continue with the new CBA, and there is no indication that the league will initiate a lockout, which is good news. They can keep negotiating under the current CBA until a new one is hashed out. So to say that its a foregone conclusion that we will have a lockout is flawed thinking at this juncture.

One thing is certain, the CBA does need to be fixed a bit. Just like last year when players were making HUGE salaries, the pendulum has swung back the other way slightly. There needs to be realignment of the teams. The salary cap floor and ceiling needs to be adjusted a bit. To say the system is broken would be false, but it can be tweaked.

What we need less of are people willing to side with someone and more angry fans who are willing to yell at both sides. This is a two way street, and the players caved in last time, maybe its time for the owners to give up some of their profits to get some of the salary cap issues taken care of. It all depends on how flexible both sides are going to be in this process. To blame one side for a lockout is a stretch. I didn't blame the players for giving up a lot last time, and we lost a whole season. I blame both sides equally.

Edited by Nightfall

We have to keep in mind this war is based on millionaires fighting billionaires. That said for sure it needs to be fixed a bit (lower the floor and increase the highest celling, get rid off revenue sharing...). Teams would be wise to spend on their own revenue, otherwise we will end up with more situations like New Jersey and Phoenix.

Being an angry fan won't help us, if there is a another lockout so be it, going to watch SEL, AHL and some lesser tiered leagues then would it suck? Sure but its not the end of the world. There are many reasons, why I'd rather side with the NHLPA than the owners but in the end we all want the same > another great season of hockey without losing games.

btw. how do you edit your postings using the mobile app on this site?

We have to keep in mind this war is based on millionaires fighting billionaires. That said for sure it needs to be fixed a bit (lower the floor and increase the highest celling, get rid off revenue sharing...). Teams would be wise to spend on their own revenue, otherwise we will end up with more situations like New Jersey and Phoenix.

Being an angry fan won't help us, if there is a another lockout so be it, going to watch SEL, AHL and some lesser tiered leagues then would it suck? Sure but its not the end of the world. There are many reasons, why I'd rather side with the NHLPA than the owners but in the end we all want the same > another great season of hockey without losing games.

btw. how do you edit your postings using the mobile app on this site?

You and I are in total agreement, except on the point of siding with the NHLPA. I won't side with either again this CBA. This is because they both hold the keys for getting a deal done. Its not like the NHLPA has no power in this situation and they are waiting on the league to make it happen. The NHLPA has the talent, and that is just as huge of a bargaining chip as the owners have. If there is a lockout, both sides will be at fault. Plain and simple.

NHL Players Association executive director Don Fehr said Wednesday "the players haven't considered what they would do on Sept. 15 or any other date if no agreement is in place."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399382

Not really something to get excited about. Apparently Don Fehr isn't saying that they will play for sure, but that the possibility is there for them to play if there isn't a contract. It makes sense to me to play on and settle the contract beyond the 15th if it goes that far, but I am not in charge. :)

Guest Hatethedrake!

At least so far both sides do not seem confrontational in any way. Back in 2004 both sides were very confrontational. I take this as a good sign.

NHL Players Association executive director Don Fehr said Wednesday "the players haven't considered what they would do on Sept. 15 or any other date if no agreement is in place."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399382

Apparently Don Fehr isn't saying that they will play for sure, but that the possibility is there for them to play if there isn't a contract.

There would be an agreement in place: the current agreement.

From a public relations standpoint, taking this stance borders on genius. IF NHLPA votes to enter next season without a new CBA and agrees to play under the current one, it backs the League into a corner and has the owners muttering to themselves "never saw this coming".

From Winnipeg Free Press:

Fehr unveiled a 31-player negotiating committee that includes a true cross-section of the union's membership: recognizable faces in Henrik Zetterberg, Shea Weber and Shane Doan; journeymen in Dominic Moore, Alex Auld and Craig Adams; and even John Tavares, who is only 21 years old and just completed his entry-level contract.

There would be an agreement in place: the current agreement.

From a public relations standpoint, taking this stance borders on genius. IF NHLPA votes to enter next season without a new CBA and agrees to play under the current one, it backs the League into a corner and has the owners muttering to themselves "never saw this coming".

Thats a big IF.

I will agree that the league could look like the good guys here if they didn't initiate a lockout and the owners did. I know I would be on the players side if that happened.

Maybe this is stating the obvious, but...For the players to say that they would go beyond the deadline of the current agreement and possibly play games in the new season isn't enough; the Owners would have to be in agreement with that proposal (liability and insurance stuff would come into play here). If both sides are in agreement with that proposal, the message is usually loud and clear: that both sides want to hammer out a new agreement.

Maybe this is stating the obvious, but...For the players to say that they would go beyond the deadline of the current agreement and possibly play games in the new season isn't enough; the Owners would have to be in agreement with that proposal (liability and insurance stuff would come into play here). If both sides are in agreement with that proposal, the message is usually loud and clear: that both sides want to hammer out a new agreement.

Exactly.

And honestly I can't see the owners agreeing to that. They call it a lockout for a reason.

You and I are in total agreement, except on the point of siding with the NHLPA. I won't side with either again this CBA. This is because they both hold the keys for getting a deal done. Its not like the NHLPA has no power in this situation and they are waiting on the league to make it happen. The NHLPA has the talent, and that is just as huge of a bargaining chip as the owners have. If there is a lockout, both sides will be at fault. Plain and simple.

Thats a big IF.

I will agree that the league could look like the good guys here if they didn't initiate a lockout and the owners did. I know I would be on the players side if that happened.

I'm confused are you taking sides or not? :P

I do hope that they are serious about getting this worked out before the deadline. The summer is long enough without having to worry about part of the season not being played.

I'm confused are you taking sides or not? :P

I do hope that they are serious about getting this worked out before the deadline. The summer is long enough without having to worry about part of the season not being played.

You obviously have a reading comprehension problem....let me break it down for you easily....

Not taking sides initially. Fans should be putting pressure on both sides equally to get a deal done.

If by September 15th, there is no deal in place, and the players want to play under the current CBA while they negotiate a deal, but the owners initiate a lockout, I will be on the side of the players since they are willing to work under the current agreement and continue negotiations. The owners will simply be greedy if they lockout at that stage. If the players initiate the lockout, then that will be greed based as well and I will side with the owners at that point.

Simple enough?

Edited by Nightfall