• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ogreslayer

2012 Lockout Watch

Rate this topic

At 6:20 my demo of NHL13 was done downloading, I was showered and shaved and ready to go to work, but i had 35 minutes before i had to go to work so i played some hockey. I am one of the passionate fans that cannot deal with another Gary Buttman sponsored lockout. It kinda sucks that i may have 5 seasons of GM mode Red Wings Stanley Cup victories before the 2013 season even starts if it does....I usually only have 1 Cup. :unhappy:

In a perfect "Bettmanland", there would be no union. To him, it's just a nuisance.

By the end of these negotiations, we shall see if Fehr feels the same way about the union. So far, I cannot rule out that "Fehrland" doesn't exist.

Guest Shoreline

Lots of theatre but rest assured three strikes lockouts, the NHL is out. If I watch anymore of this league it will be few and faaar between. No sense in involving myself in a league that s***s all over it's fans. If my birthday comes and the NHL is in yet another lockout, cya.

Hope they get a deal done. They've had more than enough time to me for negotiations.

Edited by Shoreline

From what I've seen on TSN... ever since Bettman came out with his cold "the players will be locked out if a deal is not in place by Sept. 15," the attitude on the NHLPA side has been seemingly optimistic about getting a deal done in time. I like Fehr's attitude because he talks about a lockout being the last ditch effort to all of this, it's not what the players want. I just hope the owners and Bettman can get their heads out of their b-holes and make some concessions to find some middle ground that both sides can move on with. It's ridiculous. If you just split the share revenues 50/50, that SHOULD be enough to satisfy both sides. The players can still play and I'm sure the owners can still line their pockets as they have over the past 7 years.

At least they're starting to negotiate finer points, instead of the bigger picture now. I never understood that, you know where you are separated on the most, so work that out first and foremost, then the other stuff will fall into place and be a lot easier to negotiate on, without the elephant in the room.

Lots of theatre but rest assured three strikes lockouts, the NHL is out. If I watch anymore of this league it will be few and faaar between. No sense in involving myself in a league that s***s all over it's fans. If my birthday comes and the NHL is in yet another lockout, cya.

Hope they get a deal done. They've had more than enough time to me for negotiations.

This is part of the reason why I am not dropping $200 a ticket to go to the Winter Classic. I could afford to go, but I won't. Even if they get a deal done on time and they start the season on time, the greed is just disgusting. I will watch it on TV instead.

Seems like today's CBA meetings were cancelled. Scheduled to resume tomorrow.

Per Chris Johnston, hockey writer for The Canadian Press...

I'm told CBA talks have been cancelled for the day. They're scheduled to resume in the morning.

The top executives in the NHL's collective bargaining talks met this morning before the scheduled resumption of formal negotiations.

Two sources say NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly spent about two hours with NHL Players' Association executive director Donald Fehr and his brother Steve Fehr, the union's No. 2 man.

Interesting that Bettman and Daly had a private meeting with the Fehr brothers. That seems much more like alot of the backdoor meetings that were happening as we closed in on a deal last go-round...

Just remember who holds the keys for a lockout.

Just remember who the current deal benefits the most. The players and lucrative clubs. With 18 of 30 teams not making a profit, there is a huge problem with the current deal. I am not surprised that "lockout" is being mentioned, and neither should you.

Just remember who the current deal benefits the most. The players and lucrative clubs. With 18 of 30 teams not making a profit, there is a huge problem with the current deal. I am not surprised that "lockout" is being mentioned, and neither should you.

I don't think anyone is surprised lockout is being mentioned given Bettman's history and his readiness to threaten it.

I don't think anyone is surprised lockout is being mentioned given Bettman's history and his readiness to threaten it.

I agree. Bettman's negotiating tactics are primordial, and thats putting it nicely.

It's called a "Collective Bargaining Agreement"; the word "lockout" isn't there. But, in "Bettmanland"...

Bad, bad news, if true:

"It looks like there will be no more negotiations. Owners have already stated that they won't move away from their position. The lockout may be called even earlier than Sept. 15.

"But right now all the guys are already ready for the League to have a work stoppage. The NHLPA is arranging for insurance coverage for everyone, getting ready to make payments. Fehr told everyone in advance, and a lot of players will go to Europe. Maybe to Russia."

-Ilya Kovalchuk, in an interview with Dmitry Chesnokov. Full interview is here

Edited by Echolalia

Bad, bad news, if true:

"It looks like there will be no more negotiations. Owners have already stated that they won't move away from their position. The lockout may be called even earlier than Sept. 15.

"But right now all the guys are already ready for the League to have a work stoppage. The NHLPA is arranging for insurance coverage for everyone, getting ready to make payments. Fehr told everyone in advance, and a lot of players will go to Europe. Maybe to Russia."

tumblr_m8eolpAELM1r9uqax.gif

How is that negotiating in good faith? Refusing to let the players play until they cave to every single demand of the owners? I have stayed away from this topic because the whole thing absolutely infuriates me, but this whole strong arm "you'll do what I say when I say or you won't do anything at all" BS is sickening. I'm pissed that I'm most likely going to miss yet another season of the only sport I give two farts about. I'm pissed that I got so excited for the Winter Classic only to have it potentially never come to fruition. But mostly I'm pissed that the rich get richer or take their toys and go home, while the rest of us who pay our hard earned money to support the sport we love continue to get s*** on.

tumblr_m7ikj4VosE1qeti7k.gif

I really hope I'm overreacting and will have a major :blush: moment when the season starts on time, but more and more that's seeming increasingly unlikely...

Please forgive my laziness, and ignorance, but is there a site that lists the 18 franchises?

Also - is that just "gate receipts", or is the revenue from parking, concessions, etc, etc included?

Here is the article i posted.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2012/05/30/lack-of-economic-parity-could-kill-nhl/

It doesn't list all the franchises, but it does say that 18 are losing money. Thats a lot of franchises. So, while the players are making great money, and 12 of the owners are also happy, there are 18 owners that are in deep trouble. As has been pointed out before, the proposal set forward by Bettman doesn't address the core problem. Same with the proposal by Fehr. Something needs to be done to help the 18 teams for the long haul, and what Bettman or Fehr proposes won't fix that.

Something needs to be done to help the 18 teams for the long haul, and what Bettman or Fehr proposes won't fix that.

I'm sorry, I'll have to pick at your statement there. If they're going to have to consider keeping 18 teams afloat, then some sort of "contraction clause" has to be in there, so that another Phoenix Coyotes doesn't happen, all the while siphoning millions off the profitable teams. Possible contraction has to be on the table.

I'm sorry, I'll have to pick at your statement there. If they're going to have to consider keeping 18 teams afloat, then some sort of "contraction clause" has to be in there, so that another Phoenix Coyotes doesn't happen, all the while siphoning millions off the profitable teams. Possible contraction has to be on the table.

We are in complete agreement. The issue here is that ownership isn't going to like that. Nevermind that sometimes, people make poor investment choices. Sometimes teams move in order to become profitable again, like the Thrashers move to Winnipeg.

Contraction has to be on the table

Same goes for a luxury tax system and a no cap floor so teams can spend as little as they want

I could go on and on here, but the simple fact of the matter is that both sides don't want to see the issues they have in front of them. One of the sides is just interested in dealing with rollbacks in salaries and limiting contract length. The other is just interested in giving up some salary for the next couple years, and then it ramps back up to 57% again. Neither of these solutions addresses the problem as a whole.

Bad, bad news, if true:

Safe to say not much of that has truth to it....considering some of it isn't even legally possible (i.e. lockout before Sep. 15th). No more negotiations? Ummm, they are negotiating today.

They are possibly the worst of the bunch, but teams like the Devils, Islanders and a couple others are creeping up awfully close to the Coyotes situation already. I think it's a possibility that Bettman will have to cave and finally move those 3 teams as a starting point. I'm all for the Yotes moving, but teams that actually have a history like like the Isles and Devils i'm not a fan of being moved, but if you have teams like that with no fan support and clearly terrible owners, then you gotta do what you gotta do.

We are in complete agreement. The issue here is that ownership isn't going to like that. Nevermind that sometimes, people make poor investment choices. Sometimes teams move in order to become profitable again, like the Thrashers move to Winnipeg.

Contraction has to be on the table

Same goes for a luxury tax system and a no cap floor so teams can spend as little as they want

I could go on and on here, but the simple fact of the matter is that both sides don't want to see the issues they have in front of them. One of the sides is just interested in dealing with rollbacks in salaries and limiting contract length. The other is just interested in giving up some salary for the next couple years, and then it ramps back up to 57% again. Neither of these solutions addresses the problem as a whole.

3rd paragraph pretty much sums up why we're not going to see hockey this year and why afternoon talks were cancelled yesterday after Buttman's secret squirrel talks.

bolded part....being from Winnipeg, i can see a huge riot in the future. Don't be surprised to see protests in every Canandian city where there's NHL teams.

Just wait for the headlines "What aboot the fans Eh?" :lol:

Edited by Z Winged Dangler