• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ogreslayer

2012 Lockout Watch

Rate this topic

Guest RedWingsDad

Meanwhile, I have to figure out if I need to cancel my automatic subscription to NHL Center Ice this year while these assholes figure out who's going to be the biggest millionaires. f*** the lot of them!

esteef

Class envy. You have it.

Moving on... I am more hopeful that we can avoid a lockout after seeing the supposed details of the leagues counter-proposal.

Meanwhile, I have to figure out if I need to cancel my automatic subscription to NHL Center Ice this year while these assholes figure out who's going to be the biggest millionaires. f*** the lot of them!

esteef

I will no longer be getting NHL centre ice this year and will also apparently be saving $10 per month on the Jets channel.

Question...how will teams be able to be cap compliant if there's no salary rollback? A lot of teams are within a few million $$ of the 70.2 mil cap. Philly and Minnesota i believe to name a couple. So with that deal, the Wings would be able to spend a couple million and that's it and a number of teams will have to shed salary with no team actually able to pick them up. How does the NHL's proposal make any sense as a result?

Guest Johnz96

Bettman and the owners don't give a s*** about the fans, if they did he wouldn't be presenting the Cup to the displeasure of the fans. All they care about is making money. The money comes from the fans.

If there is another strike please boycott the NHL for at least 2 months after and hit em where it hurts

Edited by Johnz96

Maybe I am looking it the wrong way, but this is what I think.

Revenue have been almost doubled since 2004, which means salaries have been doubled (100% increase).

My personal salary have been increased around 15% during the same period.

Is it really too much to ask that players give up a few percent on their annual multiple million dollar contracts?

And they even get paid to have one of the greatest jobs in the world...playing your favorite sport!

If there is a lockout:

Owners: would not care, since they won't have to pay salaries.

Players: would not care, since they go play in Europe.

Fans: would be pissed off, well atleast I am!!!

On a sidenote...actually the fans are (directly or indirectly) paying the owners and players so they should be #1 priority (this is why I will blame both parties incase a lockout occurs, since neither put the fans at #1)!!!

Edited by RippedOnNitro

Uncle Gary doesn't care about the fans. He force-fed the "shootout". That was his idea, you know. Get over it.

The players don't care about the fans either. Noone in this situation cares about the fans. It's kind of obvious, but everyone is running around "Ohh...Buttman doesn't care. He's terrible" "The owners are greedy, they don't care." "If only those poor players could just get what they want, we can have hockey."

It's disingenuous to think that anyone at all cares about the fans, and that only Bettman is in the way, If the players really cared, why not accept the offer? Once it goes to a lockout, they're going to get a crappier deal anyway so they can start making money again.

The worst part about this is that they are arguing over absurd amounts of money. All of us "normal" people make a fraction of the players' salaries and the money the owners get. I understand they should get paid at a premium given they are required to travel so much and the life of their career. We manage to make ends meet to live our lives AND buy tickets to go watch them play hockey.

If they have a lockout I hope they don't come up with a last second deal just so the Winter Classic can happen. I really hope if the season doesn't start and this drags out that the NHL ends up losing all the revenue they would have gotten from the game and other activities. Of course that sucks for all the fans that have purchased tickets and make travel plans.

Guest RedWingsDad

The worst part about this is that they are arguing over absurd amounts of money. All of us "normal" people make a fraction of the players' salaries and the money the owners get. I understand they should get paid at a premium given they are required to travel so much and the life of their career. We manage to make ends meet to live our lives AND buy tickets to go watch them play hockey.

Hockey players and owners are "normal" people that are just more successful fiscally than you (and I). Good for them, it's free market economics at work. These posts harping on the amount of money being made reek of jealousy and class envy. Let's be happy that players get payed well in the NHL; it's a big that reason that many of them are in this league... and you get to enjoy watching them.

Edited by RedWingsDad

Question...how will teams be able to be cap compliant if there's no salary rollback? A lot of teams are within a few million $$ of the 70.2 mil cap. Philly and Minnesota i believe to name a couple. So with that deal, the Wings would be able to spend a couple million and that's it and a number of teams will have to shed salary with no team actually able to pick them up. How does the NHL's proposal make any sense as a result?

I would imagine they'll have a buy out process similar to what they had in 2005. Back then, teams could buy out players at 2/3rds the cost of their remaining contract, which wouldn't count towards the cap but the player couldn't resign with the same team. Back in 2005 the Wings bought out DMac, Hatcher, & Whitney if I remember correctly.

Hockey players and owners are "normal" people that are just more successful fiscally than you (and I). Good for them, it's free market economics at work. These posts harping on the amount of money being made reek of jealousy and class envy. Let's be happy that players get payed well in the NHL; it's a big that reason that many of them are in this league... and you get to enjoy watching them.

It's not class envy at all. It's being disgusted watching greed take over the sport we love.

esteef

I don't care that a player makes 4 million a year, but what bothers me is that they won't settle for 3.7 million. Which is still a huge amount to get paid for playing your favorite sport.

I don't care that a player makes 4 million a year, but what bothers me is that they won't settle for 3.7 million. Which is still a huge amount to get paid for playing your favorite sport.

Players settling for less money would not result in lower prices for consumers but in more profits for owners. There is a difference here.

Just witnessed the Wings team plane being towed out of the hanger and being prepped out here at Metro, I SOOOOO was hoping to log on here and see a thread named "CBA settled!" But no....

I guess they are just getting the plane ready for the season, just in case it does get settled soon!

Here's to getting this settled soon! Let's get the season going!

Players settling for less money would not result in lower prices for consumers but in more profits for owners. There is a difference here.

The players getting what they want won't lower prices for consumers either. If anything, prices are going to go up. That's an invalid argument. Everyone is being greedy. It's millionaires vs billionaires squabbling over crumbs.

You mean bailing out teams in non-hockey markets? I guess players still want to keep those teams around due to job security?

It's defnintely not envy, if they have the ability to make that much money good for them. I guess being a single mom that struggles with the bills every month I have a hard time having sympathy for the guys making millions of dollars and arguing over a few hundred thousand. Give me one of these guys' million dollar salary for just one year and I could make that work for a very long time. It's all about perspective and once you get that much money giving up even a little must seem like a hardship.

The more I think about it, the more I think the players are in the driver's seat. Since the last lockout, international leagues have really fluorished and have been marketed well. There is more interest today in European leagues, and the KHL especially than ever before. If I'm on the board of governors, I would be scared to death of letting another lockout occur, simply to keep rival leagues from gaining momentum against the NHL. We have already seen several players bolt overseas to chase money and glory. What happens when the NHL doesn't exist for a year and most of the league's players play for the KHL? How many of them decide they prefer the higher paycheck in Russia? How hard does the KHL fight to entice players to stay?

I would imagine they'll have a buy out process similar to what they had in 2005. Back then, teams could buy out players at 2/3rds the cost of their remaining contract, which wouldn't count towards the cap but the player couldn't resign with the same team. Back in 2005 the Wings bought out DMac, Hatcher, & Whitney if I remember correctly.

If they buy players out then they lose them so how would this help the teams salary cap situations when they would have to sign someone to replace them? Say the Wild have cap trouble, which they will cause they're currently a couple mil from the 70.2 mil cap, and they have no choice but to buy out a more expensive player or 2 to be cap compliant. Say Heatley and Gilbert, which wouldn't be that bad to get rid of anyways, but that shaves 11 mil off and now they are at 66 mil, they still need 2 roster spots filled with 2 mil remaining on their cap. The NHL's proposal wouldn't work for most teams that have already committed funds to the "already proposed cap" unless there's a salary roll back like last time. It's impossible to shave 12.2 mil without players current salaries taking the hit.

just found this quote in the article provided:

Well, perhaps the easiest way to look at this is in terms of the salary cap. If this deal proceeds as planned, then the 2012-13 cap would be $58 million. Which, by the way, if there’s no rollback of current salaries or other adjustments, would mean that 16 teams are over the proposed cap based on the current figures from Cap Geek. The Boston Bruins and Minnesota Wild are currently exceeding the proposed salary cap by more than $10 million.

Pretty much says what i was getting at.

That is for the owners that turn a profit. Which is 12 out of 30. That is why they need the players to take less money to get that number at least above 20. Some teams may just have to face the horrible reality of relocation to balance out the economics in the league....Yotes, Devils, Islanders, you get the idea. Set the cap at 65 mil next year with a percentage rollback from 70.2 which is approximately .09259 if you divide 65/70.2. So that would entail a salary rollback of a modest 7.41 % so we'll just round it to 7.5 %. Then you raise the cap annually as proposed for 6 years but by 1 million reaching the 71 million in the 6th year, but with less damage control for GM's to endure to start this season and you will have every team automatically cap compliant with the 7.5 % rollback which the players should not have major issues with. If you make 6 mil, you will now make 5.55 mil. Still making bank but not giving back excessive amounts.

You mean bailing out teams in non-hockey markets? I guess players still want to keep those teams around due to job security?

Then both sides need to be part of this bailout. Players through lower payroll, owners through revenue sharing. I haven't heard anything about revenue sharing in NHL's proposal.