• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ogreslayer

2012 Lockout Watch

Rate this topic

yes and they are still ongoing. 2hrs and counting

I'm really trying not to get my hopes up, but alas! There they go...I really want to be happy and excited about all the twitter news and pictures of our guys back on the ice and visiting schools like everything is normal.

You'd think they could just do a one-year deal with both sides making serious concessions for just one year so that they could play and agree to work out a long-term solution to be implemented next year.

Oh, wait. They did that. They put an extension clause in this CBA, which the league stomped out as an option before they even scheduled the meetings.

they were meeting again later tonight. it was posted at 3 pm but im unsure when they were.

edit; lebrun reporting they are just now wrapping up meeting

Edited by evilzyme

Is there a good reason why Uncle Gary craves short-term CBA's?

We've already seen he doesn't like (i.e., hates) the concept of an "option" season in a new CBA. Is it because the players suggested it?

It probably lies with because he is the spokesperson of the owners. If the season were to start on time, regardless of things, the owners would technically be under 43% RS, with the players still getting the majority. I'm not sure if they can backdate the CBA to where regardless they can start the season under the terms of the old CBA but once the new one comes out they magically backdate everything from the original start of the season. I'm not even sure if i'm making sense. The owners don't want to budge at all with their proposal, it just seems like they're the ones unwilling to allow the season to start on time if the new CBA isn't hashed out before Sept. 15th.

Short version, I think the owners don't want to allow the players to get their 57% of RS for any period of time this upcoming season, therefore they won't allow the beginning of the season to be played on the terms of the old CBA.

It probably lies with because he is the spokesperson of the owners. If the season were to start on time, regardless of things, the owners would technically be under 43% RS, with the players still getting the majority. I'm not sure if they can backdate the CBA to where regardless they can start the season under the terms of the old CBA but once the new one comes out they magically backdate everything from the original start of the season. I'm not even sure if i'm making sense. The owners don't want to budge at all with their proposal, it just seems like they're the ones unwilling to allow the season to start on time if the new CBA isn't hashed out before Sept. 15th.

Short version, I think the owners don't want to allow the players to get their 57% of RS for any period of time this upcoming season, therefore they won't allow the beginning of the season to be played on the terms of the old CBA.

I feel you may be right, but it boggles the mind that adults can sit around a table and say, "I don't want someone else to have more than me, so I'm going to make sure that we both get zero."

A cranky four-year-old who needs a nap, maybe, but a group of adults? Oh, heavens. It's going to be a long year.

Is there a good reason why Uncle Gary craves short-term CBA's?

We've already seen he doesn't like (i.e., hates) the concept of an "option" season in a new CBA. Is it because the players suggested it?

Short term CBA's work for the owners, means that they get to renegotiate(take more money from the players) more often! Gary probably likes them because he can use them as a time to push more money towards his favorite failure teams. Who knows, but this sucks.

I've been a Redwings fan since the early '80's..........flown to Chicago, LA, Denver, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Phoenix, St. Louis and of course, Detroit to watch em play. If there is no hockey this season, I'm done with the sport for good. They can all kiss my ass.

I agree. A possible 4th lock out under Bettman? I've had enough. I can get my sports fix with MLB and the NFL, and enjoy the Wings memories I have since 1995.

Funny the owners think 57% is to much, and majority of fans think the players are over paid. I've heard that most businesses, 75% of the money they make goes towards paying their workers. I found that interesting.

Edit: Hey did anyone else hear the NHL said they lost something like $250 Million the last few years? BS if you ask me! Why is the cap going up every year?

Edited by Barrie

I wish I was just as confident. Neither side is willing to budge. I think we won't see hockey until November.

Why should the players budge? Bettmans proposal is take, take, take, take, take, take, take and take. Not a single proposal to sweeten the pot, no "we want to take this, but we'll give you that in return" to make them go "OK". Bettmans proposal isn't a negotiation, its an ultimatum. He's treating the NHLPA like a vanquished foe trying to get the least punitive terms out of an unconditional surrender, rather than an equal partner in negotiations for the mutual good.

I was on the owners side last time around, and as I've mentioned previously he did some good things for the players such as significantly raising the minimum salary (important when ~ 40% of the NHLPA are on mimimum salary), but this is just pure greed and stupidity. Bettman needs to go as point 1 of any new CBA.

Why should the players budge? Bettmans proposal is take, take, take, take, take, take, take and take. Not a single proposal to sweeten the pot, no "we want to take this, but we'll give you that in return" to make them go "OK". Bettmans proposal isn't a negotiation, its an ultimatum. He's treating the NHLPA like a vanquished foe trying to get the least punitive terms out of an unconditional surrender, rather than an equal partner in negotiations for the mutual good.

I was on the owners side last time around, and as I've mentioned previously he did some good things for the players such as significantly raising the minimum salary (important when ~ 40% of the NHLPA are on mimimum salary), but this is just pure greed and stupidity. Bettman needs to go as point 1 of any new CBA.

So, in your opinion, the players need not make any concessions because there are no issues with the league finances right now?

Lets face facts here, the NHL is in trouble. What the owners are proposing won't fix the problem and the NHLPA doesn't want to see the salary floor go down.

So far, the NHLPA just wants to keep everything they have right now and the owners don't want to address the problems that they have with their ownership group and clubs that are not financially secure. Its a dangerous mix, and one where both sides really need to address.

The greed on both sides is going to drive the league to initiate a lockout. Sure, the uninformed and the ignorant people will say the league is at fault for locking out the players. The ones who have looked at the issues that are dogging the league as a whole right now will be able to see greed and stupidity as the biggest problems right now.

Edited by Nightfall