• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ogreslayer

2012 Lockout Watch

Rate this topic

Laughing out loud I think so too.

Wonder why NBC hasn't put some pressure into getting a FAIR deal done? They've paid the NHL millions of $ and yet they aren't getting anything out of it t his season.

How does it work? Would every lost broadcast just be an unequivocal disaster (i.e. total loss, total waste of money) for NBC? Or is there some kind of, I dunno, escape clause or something?

How does it work? Would every lost broadcast just be an unequivocal disaster (i.e. total loss, total waste of money) for NBC? Or is there some kind of, I dunno, escape clause or something?

Doesn't sound like there is, but I'm not sure.

Everything I've read makes it sound like the owners get paid $200 million from NBC even if there is no hockey.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/08/nhl_owners_will_receive_200_mi.html

That just doesn't make sense to me

If you read the article it says they would add an additional year at the end. The owners would get their money now, but nothing for the last year.

But I'm sure $200M (plus anything they still make from sponsors and merchandise) isn't close to enough to cover all the expenses anyway. Stadium leases, debt payments, any remaining staff that keeps working, unemployment for any staff laid off, and I'm sure that some percentage of any revenue earned will still eventually have to go to players in some form... If there's an extended lockout every owner is still going to lose a lot of money, and that's not even counting potential loss of future revenue.

That's why I don't think this lockout will last that long. I still have a little hope that we won't lose any games, though more realistically I'd guess we'll lose 20 or so. Much more than that and too many people will be losing too much money. Unlike the last lockout, where the league as a whole was in the red and even the profitable teams weren't making much, almost 1/3rd of owners stood to make $10M+ in profits this year and will be looking at huge losses instead.

Thanks for the link, hs.

I agree with you, Buppy.

There's a clock on this thing. It's not going to claim the entire season, probably won't claim more than ten games, if that. (IMHO)

"And it won't be long / No, it won't be long / Because it can't be long"

Wow. I honestly had not even thought of the charities. The players and the league both contribute quite a bit both individually and as a group.

Maybe this would be the solution: Instead of arguing 57/43 vs 50/50 or other numbers, maybe we should be going x/x/10 with the 10 going to charity. Both sides might be willing to give a little if they knew that the money wasn't going to the other side, but to a charity. It wouldn't solve the other points, but it would be a starting point.

I still think that the league wants to lock out this season so the players will be more willing to give up Sochi next year just to have a season to play.

Daly told TSN, "We talked with the Union this morning and in light of the fact that they have nothing new to offer, or any substantive response to our last proposal, there would be nothing gained by convening a bargaining session at this time. I'm sure that we will remain in contact in the coming days."

Steve Fehr, special counsel for the NHLPA, told TSN, "Today we suggested that the parties meet in advance of the owners' self-imposed deadline of midnight tonight. Don Fehr, myself and several players on the Negotiating Committee were in the city and prepared to meet. The NHL said that it saw no purpose in having a formal meeting. There have been and continue to be private, informal discussions between representatives of both sides."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405331

The deadline is expected to pass without any formal announcement. The season will apparently die a slow, quiet death.

If feels like I'm watching the clock like it's a countdown to the end of the world. I know that sounds somewhat stupid but I love my hockey addiction lol. I haven't seen any tv coverage in my area neither local and national.

well here we are again

I hope the NHLPA gets the idea out of their heads that they'll actually 'win' the lockout, the owners will get pretty much what they want in the end, that's what happened last time and it will happen again

all the players are really doing is prolonging the inevitable and wasting possibly a whole year of their careers in the process

it's a sad situation, but the rich will always lose out to the even richer