• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ogreslayer

2012 Lockout Watch

Rate this topic

O6 and Euro6? Um...you think the travel is bad now. Try that commute.

I'll pass.

Some version of that will happen. Just a matter of when. Going to Europe isn't that bad. yes they trips will be 2 weeks long, but still it will work. BTW the Super series in Rugby has worse travel. they go for 3-4 weeks at a time. back to the point, you also do it unbalanced. Play the team on your continent say 45-50 times, then go overseas for 2 trips for another 12 games, then have them come to you home. So really only 2 long trips per team.

Edited by Richdg

From Sportsnet:

National Hockey League players are not prepared to give any more to save team owners from themselves.

That's how Steve Fehr, the NHL Players' Association special counsel, described the players' mindset as negotiations toward a new Collective Bargaining Agreement loom.

Players currently receive 57 per cent of hockey related revenue. Fehr, brother to NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr, told the Sports Business Journal this week:

"I think it is fair to say that if the approach is what many are predicting: That the owners come in and say we have to shave five, 10, 15, 25, 30 -- pick a number -- points off the percentage of revenues in the cap that players receive, there will be some players who say, there may be a lot of players who say, 'Wait a minute ... We already gave at the office. We made massive concessions last time that were designed to fix your so-called problems. If it has not fixed your so-called problems, we need to have a long, hard discussion about what those problems are and what we should do about it.'"

I see nothing wrong with paying your union representatives a fair salary+; sometimes, you have to pay something to get something back and that "something back" is a lot more than the rep's salaries.

Guest irishock

Condensed season would benefit the Wings a whole lot.

Entire season gone would not.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I don't see the point of another lock-out. Even if Bettman and the league were to get their way, they would just screw it up again after the last one ended. With Fehr now running the show, the NHLPA will be more confrontational than before and not much negotiating will be done until 2 months into the lockout. It's just a waste of time really.

I hate this whole thing. We're all in the same sport. Can't we all work together for the good of the sport instead of bickering?

Spend the time growing the sport and making more millions to share rather than bickering over how to share the millions you have.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I hate this whole thing. We're all in the same sport. Can't we all work together for the good of the sport instead of bickering?

Spend the time growing the sport and making more millions to share rather than bickering over how to share the millions you have.

The NHL has always been its own worst enemy. The league and the players have been bickering for decades. Look how the NHLPA formed to begin with. Ted Lindsay started the whole thing and he was banised to Chicago (the worst team in the league at the time) by Jack Adams as punishment. When Alan Eagleson ran the NHLPA he basically did what the league wanted him to do. He purposely kept player salaries down by not having them disclosed. Bob Goodenow wanted confrontation just for the sake of it. Bettman always wants his way or nothing. The NHLPA can't even get along with themselves half the time. The league got a hard 39 mil Cap and just 6 years later it may end up being at 70. They lost a season for that? The NHL and NHLPA are run by a bunch of dummies who could care less about what the RIGHT thing to do is. Both sides have been spoiled by all the money they have made and only see things through their biased politically fueled rose coloured glasses. Who suffers? We do. The fans. But they could give a rats ass about that. They will not say it but they think it...we will always be there when hockey returns.

TSN.

It kills me the glacial pace with which these negotiations proceed. You'd think they were communicating by pony express.

"I understand the union is now prepared to begin talks and we are in the process of trying to set up dates,"

Bettman said he expects "in the next few weeks" they will begin to "set the table of what we each might want to be talking about."

In the next few weeks they'll begin to set the table of what they might talk about??? what the hell?

Everybody pull out your iphones and set some dates, put the agenda on google docs and let's get this s*** going!

Bettman's relationship with the NHLPA is abysmal. He doesn't value them and cuts them out of the loop whenever possible. Personal relationships often guide negotiations, so that's not a good sign. He never misses a chance to sleight the NHLPA, and the NHLPA has a more aggressive leader now.

Basically, these two groups are going to go at it harder than before. They better not let this go to a lock-out, though, that would destroy the NHL.

From TSN:

With discussions soon to begin on a new collective bargaining agreement, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman stepped into a cone of silence following Tuesday's Board of Governors meeting.

Bettman said the league is working on a date to kick off formal negotiations with the NHL Players' Association and that it would fall "probably in the not too distant future."

Uncle Gary seems to have a handle on this.

From TSN:

Uncle Gary seems to have a handle on this.

This is what drives me nuts.

They're working on finding a date where they can meet??

That should be the easiest part of the whole process to decide and they still don't even have a date to meet? It's ******* late june!

If there's another lockout, I'm hiring Chelios to kill Bettman.

With A) League Awards Night and B) the 50th Anniversary of the Amateur Draft both coming up, I would have thought that Uncle Gary would have the brains to wait until after these events were held to talk about the "not too distant future".

Someone is getting antsy!

With all those spotlights pointed at him, I'm surprised he doesn't "freckle" more easily.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Gary will be mad when he begins REAL negotiations with Donald Fehr. When Gary doesn't get his way he goes to the media and pouts. I expect this to happen in August.

Guest Hatethedrake!

bettman-fortune1.gif

The NHL is still a professional sport? When lawn bowling gets higher ratings in some parts of the US you have to wonder.

The NHL cannot suffer another lockout.

I agree 100%, people are done with guys that make millions. Owners and players cancelling games/season over a few extra bucks, I mean it's all about coin right?

Like someone else said, the ratings are as good as they'll ever get with Gary (dickweed) Bettman as commissioner, and having a tv contract with NBCsports instead of ESPN.

I love the NHL and Wings more than I can put in words, but another lockout and I may have to walk away. The NHL seems to be the only sports that thinks they can keep having lockouts and fans will always stick around.

Edited by cupcrazy