• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ogreslayer

2012 Lockout Watch

Rate this topic

Where are the fans being mentioned in these negotiations? Nowhere? Oh, ok.

At least the last lockout we could entertain the idea that with the new agreement would come lower ticket prices. At least throwing out empty promises showed that the fans were on their minds for half a second.

Where are the fans being mentioned in these negotiations? Nowhere? Oh, ok.

At least the last lockout we could entertain the idea that with the new agreement would come lower ticket prices. At least throwing out empty promises showed that the fans were on their minds for half a second.

That's not true. In spite of having to put up with yet another lockout, Bettman said we'd come crawling back again because we're the worlds greatest fans, remember?

From TSN:

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly says the owners and players are both to blame for their failure to reach a new collective bargaining agreement before the Saturday deadline for a work stoppage.

Daly wrote in an email to The Associated Press that he hoped both sides would meet before Saturday.

"But to this point, we have received no indication that the union has anything new to say to us. And right now, we have nothing new to say to them," he wrote Tuesday. "It's unfortunate, but it's the reality of the situation."

Ahhhhh, what?

The NHLPA's proposal was a starting point in that world. The NHL and Bettman in particular, however, have not joined the rest of us in the real world.

Once again, you and I are in agreement. The key points are that neither side as budged from their proposals. I have given the NHLPA props for having a proposal set more in reality than the NHL proposal. Not budging from your stance is not the way to negotiate a CBA though. There needs to be less rigidity and more flexibility. It is that simple.

I want to kidnap them all, lock them in a room together with no food, water, or bathrooms, and place armed guards outside the door with instructions to not let anyone in or out until a signed CBA is in place. Every four hours a rabid skunk will be let into the room. Every 6 hours Celine Dion will serenade them with "My Heart Will Go On. " Every 8 hours they will have to watch "The Miracle of Birth. " Every 10 hours they will have to eat haggis.

I want to kidnap them all, lock them in a room together with no food, water, or bathrooms, and place armed guards outside the door with instructions to not let anyone in or out until a signed CBA is in place. Every four hours a rabid skunk will be let into the room. Every 6 hours Celine Dion will serenade them with "My Heart Will Go On. " Every 8 hours they will have to watch "The Miracle of Birth. " Every 10 hours they will have to eat haggis.

bettman would convert into some disgusting beast and eat everyone.

That's not true. In spite of having to put up with yet another lockout, Bettman said we'd come crawling back again because we're the worlds greatest fans, remember?

Whoops, forgot about that.

Here's another idea guys...we kidnap Sid and hold him hostage until Bettman agrees to stop the lockout nonsense/retire. Who's in?

Guest Johnz96

The owners just had there chance to oust him from the job. The owners "love" the job he's doing.

He is doing such a great job that they are threatening a 3rd lockout under his regime something that has never happened before Bettman

Guest Johnz96

The players proposal calls for a 3 year plan. The first year they decrease their share of the profits to 53%, then it goes up to 55% the next year, and up to 57% in the 3rd year. So, in short, the players proposal calls for no changes to the existing system, and the league would be right back where it started 3 years ago. So, how is that not understanding what the players are proposing? How are you not surprised that the league didn't accept this proposal?

http://www.vancouver...2488/story.html

Once again I will say this, the people who are solely behind the players and blaming the league are uninformed and ignorant. Those people do not understand what the players proposed and the ramifications behind the proposal. The players proposal is not a silver bullet that solves all the issues, contrary to what you believe.

The Suter and Parise UFA signing is a perfect example of why there is a threat of a lockout this season. The owners had a bidding war for them, they offered them the contracts they got. Of course they will take the most money offered, most people would. The owners give out these offers and then punish the players and fans by reneging on their offers by demanding they take a pay cut or lock them (and us) out for their stupidity.

Edited by Johnz96

A bit off topic, but...

What does THN do when there is a lockout? Last lockout I was moving around a lot so didn't have a subscription, but now I do.

Do they shift their coverage to the minor leagues? Or keep doing all the "gear buyers guide" crap they do during the summer? Do they just keep speculating on the possible end of the lockout over and over in each issue?

A bit off topic, but...

What does THN do when there is a lockout? Last lockout I was moving around a lot so didn't have a subscription, but now I do.

Do they shift their coverage to the minor leagues? Or keep doing all the "gear buyers guide" crap they do during the summer? Do they just keep speculating on the possible end of the lockout over and over in each issue?

Last time around, they cut the subscription down to once a month in order to save everyone on the cost of printing the magazine. That worked very well. :)

I cant help but think that the owners would want there would be a salary rollback and not be on the hook for these crazy contracts they handed out. Isnt that why the players were so big on getting guaranteed money this past summer?

http://bleacherrepor...-is-not-reached

I agree with this 100%. I already canceled my NHL Center Ice recurring subscription. If a deal is not reached, I won't be going to any Red Wings games this season and for the next 5-6 years, and I typically go to 5-8 games a year. I won't be making any road trips to see the Wings as well, as I normally do when the Wings visit the Dallas Stars and I get a chance to visit my cousin and see a game at the same time.

----

How do you get your point across? Cancel your Center Ice package before it automatically renews. Cancel your season ticket package and go to 5-10 games. Get season tickets to a local college hockey team. Stop buying hockey sweaters. Watch playoff games on TV. Save all that money, buy a nice pair of skates, and go skating two or three times a week. The End.

----

Go to 5-10 games? I won't be going to any. Screw those guys.

Go ahead owners, initiate a lockout. I won't spend a dime to attend an NHL game or buy NHL memorabilia. The most they will make out of me is watching the Wings on TV. I will save my money and time for the Griffins and college hockey.

Edited by Nightfall

Nice to hear they are having a 45-minute negotiation again on Wednesday in an effort (can you even call it that?) to prevent a lockout...ugh

Well it's not like the NHL has supposedly already called a news conference for Thursday to officially announce the lockout. Oh wait... :brow:

Edited by ogreslayer

Already cancelled my NHL Center Ice for this season. Just wait until the NHL adopts the NFL strategy of blacking out games on t.v. unless the arena sells out. Yay!

esteef

The Wings won't have that problem until they fall on hard times.

I will be cancelling my GameCenter subscription as soon as the lockout is official...no reason to keep paying for something that isn't there!

In case there is so much as even one regular season game cancelled, then I will not subscribe again for the remainder of the season.

They probably don't give a damn about it, but just for principle matter.

I don't understand why they have not been in meetings everyday all day trying to resolve this. Get an outside party involved to start pointing out ways to compromise. I don't want to lose hockey and they are all acting like children saying my way or no way.

Because it's not about a lack of conversation. It's an unwillingness to move off of their position.

The owners are willing to gamble the season away in hopes the players will say uncle first like they did in 2004,so ownership won't have to concede very much at all.

I don't understand why they have not been in meetings everyday all day trying to resolve this. Get an outside party involved to start pointing out ways to compromise. I don't want to lose hockey and they are all acting like children saying my way or no way.

He's not an outside party, but that role is supposed to be Bettman's. Yes he is ultimately hired by the ownership but he is also supposed to be a steward of the league and operate in its best overall interests, not just act as a patsy for the owners. It's been mentioned in the press several times that he has a lot of latitude and authority from ownership in these negotations.

Obviously 30 different owners have varying interests. His job shouldn't be merely to galvanize them against the players union, but also to convince them to move in ways that help the overall league, not just their particular franchise.