• This topic is locked This topic is locked
905 replies to this topic

#41 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

Bettman's relationship with the NHLPA is abysmal. He doesn't value them and cuts them out of the loop whenever possible. Personal relationships often guide negotiations, so that's not a good sign. He never misses a chance to sleight the NHLPA, and the NHLPA has a more aggressive leader now.

Basically, these two groups are going to go at it harder than before. They better not let this go to a lock-out, though, that would destroy the NHL.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#42 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

$70.3 million? Uncle Gary should learn how to negotiate at the bargaining table and stop doing it throughout the media.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#43 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,376 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:34 AM

The NHL cannot suffer another lockout.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#44 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

Keep this in mind: In a lockout situation who controls the use of the key.

#45 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:08 AM

From TSN:

With discussions soon to begin on a new collective bargaining agreement, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman stepped into a cone of silence following Tuesday's Board of Governors meeting.

Bettman said the league is working on a date to kick off formal negotiations with the NHL Players' Association and that it would fall "probably in the not too distant future."

Uncle Gary seems to have a handle on this.

#46 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

From TSN:

Uncle Gary seems to have a handle on this.

This is what drives me nuts.

They're working on finding a date where they can meet??

That should be the easiest part of the whole process to decide and they still don't even have a date to meet? It'sf****** late june!

If there's another lockout, I'm hiring Chelios to kill Bettman.

#47 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:53 AM

With A) League Awards Night and B) the 50th Anniversary of the Amateur Draft both coming up, I would have thought that Uncle Gary would have the brains to wait until after these events were held to talk about the "not too distant future".
Someone is getting antsy!
With all those spotlights pointed at him, I'm surprised he doesn't "freckle" more easily.

#48 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

Gary will be mad when he begins REAL negotiations with Donald Fehr. When Gary doesn't get his way he goes to the media and pouts. I expect this to happen in August.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#49 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:02 PM

Posted Image

#50 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:06 PM

Posted Image

The NHL is still a professional sport? When lawn bowling gets higher ratings in some parts of the US you have to wonder.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#51 cupcrazy

cupcrazy

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 824 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

The NHL cannot suffer another lockout.

I agree 100%, people are done with guys that make millions. Owners and players cancelling games/season over a few extra bucks, I mean it's all about coin right?

Like someone else said, the ratings are as good as they'll ever get with Gary (dickweed) Bettman as commissioner, and having a tv contract with NBCsports instead of ESPN.

I love the NHL and Wings more than I can put in words, but another lockout and I may have to walk away. The NHL seems to be the only sports that thinks they can keep having lockouts and fans will always stick around.

Edited by cupcrazy, 20 June 2012 - 01:20 PM.

Posted Image

#52 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

This is what drives me nuts.

They're working on finding a date where they can meet??

That should be the easiest part of the whole process to decide and they still don't even have a date to meet? It'sf****** late june!

If there's another lockout, I'm hiring Chelios to kill Bettman.

You do realize that there are 2 sides to the negotiating process? I haven't heard crap from the union. It seems like both sides are posturing and really not doing much. There seems to be no sense of urgency from either side. Personally, I could do without the updates from Bettman, but at least we are getting updates from him. The players union seems content with being in a permanent cone of silence and keeping the public guessing.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#53 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:50 PM

You do realize that there are 2 sides to the negotiating process? I haven't heard crap from the union. It seems like both sides are posturing and really not doing much. There seems to be no sense of urgency from either side. Personally, I could do without the updates from Bettman, but at least we are getting updates from him. The players union seems content with being in a permanent cone of silence and keeping the public guessing.

this is what bothers me. they should have started negotiating long before now imo

#54 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

this is what bothers me. they should have started negotiating long before now imo

I agree.

Some media pundits and hockey fans are already sounding off on how the NHL is the one at fault for speaking to the media. No harsh words for the players association?

Both sides on this "negotiating process" are equally at fault for the last lockout, and if there is a partial or lost season this time around, both sides will be at fault again.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#55 Dirty Dangle

Dirty Dangle

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

Parity exists in standings but not with club profits according to Forbes:

http://www.forbes.co...could-kill-nhl/

DId anybody else catch this?

The “haves” fall into clear categories that make the challenges all the more daunting for the league: the Canadian clubs, and those with long, storied histories in large markets such as the Bruins, Red Wins, and Blackhawks.

#56 cupcrazy

cupcrazy

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 824 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

Parity exists in standings but not with club profits according to Forbes:

http://www.forbes.co...could-kill-nhl/

If there is any ounce of truth to this we mostly likely will be facing another lockout this year. If I read this right only 11 teams can basically afford there rosters? It sounds like the salary cap needs to be lowered substantially for the league to be healthy as a whole. I just don't see the players agreeing to reverse the cap level to the point the league will want it without lossing another season.

I know most people will not agree with me, but the NHL just doesn't have the fan base to pay there top players 8 to 10 million a year. The top guys should be making around 5 million while the second line guys making in the 2 to 3 million range. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but the fan base just isn't there LEAGUE WIDE.

I understand there are a few clubs like the Wings that can afford the 8 to 10 million contracts, but that's the reason they added the cap in the first place because most teams can't. I guess we will see how it plays out in the coming months, I just don't think the fans will be as forgiving this time.

Edited by cupcrazy, 21 June 2012 - 03:43 PM.

Posted Image

#57 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

I'd be completely okay with the cone of silence if they were negotiating.

This one was an exception but Bettman's updates are usually posturing and attempts to make the players union look bad. Bettman and the owners literally ARE the NHL. They're the face of the sport. The NHLPA just doesn't have and doesn't require that public of a presence.

And yes I realize there's two sides to the negotiation. The reality is the owners and league have most of the power. And the responsibility ultimately falls on Bettman. Especially because I said lockout. We're not talking about players striking. It's the owners preventing them from playing hockey.

It'll be interesting to see how Bettman handles it. Because he's always saying the league is better than it's ever been, but he also has to sell the idea that it's in trouble because of the players' salaries.

#58 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

what i dont understand is why the ENTIRE realignment got thrown away. For negiotiating leverage? I just want hockey and a realignment that works for everybody.

#59 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

Just imagine all the nice contracts some of our notable NHL players are gonna get offered from the KHL if there is a lockout. It's a catastrophic scenario and as much as i'm trying to ignore it as a possibility it still scares me.

cupcrazy I dig the cichlid avatar. :thumbup:

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#60 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

Donald Fehr hasn't taken the bait; this is good.