• This topic is locked This topic is locked
905 replies to this topic

#581 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

Donald Fehr, the executive director of the NHL Players' Association, says he stopped drawing a salary on July 1 and a source told The Canadian Press that commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly plan to follow suit if a new agreement can't be reached by Sept. 15.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#582 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:17 PM

Has it already been mentioned that the players who are going to play in other leagues for less money during the lockout only prove the owners point that they are paid too much? or is this just angry fan speak?

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#583 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

Has it already been mentioned that the players who are going to play in other leagues for less money during the lockout only prove the owners point that they are paid too much? or is this just angry fan speak?

esteef

Not sure if serious, Malkin will easily make more, same thing applies to Datsyuk and some other Russians.

The owners are the ones giving out such massive contracts, you can't howl with the wolves and then cry poor, the league has been absolutely ridiculous in terms of handeling this CBA process.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#584 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,922 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

esteef

It's flawed logic.

Given the fact the owners are locking them out from playing in the league with which they have a current contract, the players are taking an alternate job somewhere else. It happens often when companies lock out employees. People need to pay bills. That doesn't prove that they are overpaid.

The issue isn't so much "what's the lowest amount the players will accept"(though that's the owners apparent thinking) as much as it is divvying up the billions in revenue the league collects in a way everyone can agree upon.

#585 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

esteef

Using the same logic, owners being willing to forgo the revenues proves that they don't really have to charge as much for the tickets? Let's face it, the players would play this game for 100k/year since they are not likely to make even that much in any other job. But every dollar that the players don't get goes into the owners pockets. Personally, I don't really care how much money players make or how much profit the owners get. It's just that when the 2 sides squabble over the division of the money, I tend to sympathize with players because they are the ones I like to watch playing. The owners give out the contracts of their own free will, so I have no sympathy for them.

#586 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

People need to pay bills.

I understand what you're saying, but that s*** is funny right there. :lol:

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#587 soonboomer

soonboomer

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:52 PM

I've been a Redwings fan since the early '80's..........flown to Chicago, LA, Denver, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Phoenix, St. Louis and of course, Detroit to watch em play. If there is no hockey this season, I'm done with the sport for good. They can all kiss my ass.

#588 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,922 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:03 AM

I understand what you're saying, but that s*** is funny right there. :lol:

esteef

I was more referring to non-hockey players that get locked out from their jobs. It's not like I meant I was worried hockey players won't be able to eat and pay their utility bills.

Though when you make the income they do, I'm betting many of them have high expenses to go with it. Hopefully they had the sense to save a lot of money preparing for this lockout.

#589 RippedOnNitro

RippedOnNitro

Rookie

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:31 AM

It's flawed logic.

Given the fact the owners are locking them out from playing in the league with which they have a current contract, the players are taking an alternate job somewhere else. It happens often when companies lock out employees. People need to pay bills. That doesn't prove that they are overpaid.

The issue isn't so much "what's the lowest amount the players will accept"(though that's the owners apparent thinking) as much as it is divvying up the billions in revenue the league collects in a way everyone can agree upon.

I think for either logic a case can be made. Sure they are locked out by the owners and do not get a pay check.
Which means they should find an alternate income (aka playing in another league for less aside from the 1% who could get more).

On the other side when a player makes $2M in the NHL now and they would need to take a 15% paycut to continue playing in the NHL (= $1.7M) or they do not sign a new deal and play for the AHL for $200K. I am basing this amount on capgeek's numbers where AHL contracts are less than 10% of the NHL contracts.

Ofcourse this is based on a one year only period, so you can say the players would prefer to "bleed" one year to get better in the long run.

I think the only solid case is that the ones who will really suffer are the fans and the people who work in/around the stadium etc.
First round series win: $0 () Second round series win: $0 () Third round series win: $0 () Fourth round series win: $0 () Goal difference: $0 (-3) Shutout difference: $0 (0) SHG difference: $0 (0) Extra points reg. season: $3 (102)

TOTAL COLLECTED: $0 TOTAL BONUS IF STANLEY CUP: $3

#590 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:16 AM

They're meeting today, yes?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#591 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

They're meeting today, yes?

yes and they are still ongoing. 2hrs and counting

#592 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

I'm really trying not to get my hopes up, but alas! There they go...I really want to be happy and excited about all the twitter news and pictures of our guys back on the ice and visiting schools like everything is normal.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#593 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

looks like the real negotiations have begun

@aaronward_nhl: Meetings are a 'fluid situation' and are expected to reconvene later today or tomorrow morning. Attempting to 'bridge the gap'. #TSN #CBA

#594 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

^Just get a deal hammered out guys.the thought of hockey starting /not starting in a few weeks is killing me

#595 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

You'd think they could just do a one-year deal with both sides making serious concessions for just one year so that they could play and agree to work out a long-term solution to be implemented next year.

Oh, wait. They did that. They put an extension clause in this CBA, which the league stomped out as an option before they even scheduled the meetings.

#596 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

Oh....a new record for meeting time. Nice to see more than 45 whole minutes in a row!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#597 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

they were meeting again later tonight. it was posted at 3 pm but im unsure when they were.

edit; lebrun reporting they are just now wrapping up meeting

Edited by evilzyme, 07 September 2012 - 06:45 PM.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#598 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

"@DarrenDreger: Good, candid discussion in negotiations today. NHL and NHLPA will determine when the next meeting will be tomorrow."

Please, guys. Hammer this ish out!

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#599 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:01 PM

it's so frustrating to see that it's taken a week before the deadline for these guys to show any urgency. this should have started months ago

#600 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,551 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

it's so frustrating to see that it's taken a week before the deadline for these guys to show any urgency. this should have started months ago

I agree.

Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world ;)

Maybe there's a chance that things will get resolved soon, and we'll have a full season of NHL hockey!

'Evolution' created by Offsides