• This topic is locked This topic is locked
905 replies to this topic

#681 pazzloski

pazzloski

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

I cant help but think that the owners would want there would be a salary rollback and not be on the hook for these crazy contracts they handed out. Isnt that why the players were so big on getting guaranteed money this past summer?

#682 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

From TSN:

The NHL and the players' association will resume negotiations on Wednesday in an effort to avoid a lockout this weekend.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#683 RippedOnNitro

RippedOnNitro

Rookie

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:41 AM

Nice to hear they are having a 45-minute negotiation again on Wednesday in an effort (can you even call it that?) to prevent a lockout...ugh
First round series win: $0 () Second round series win: $0 () Third round series win: $0 () Fourth round series win: $0 () Goal difference: $0 (-3) Shutout difference: $0 (0) SHG difference: $0 (0) Extra points reg. season: $3 (102)

TOTAL COLLECTED: $0 TOTAL BONUS IF STANLEY CUP: $3

#684 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

http://bleacherrepor...-is-not-reached

I agree with this 100%. I already canceled my NHL Center Ice recurring subscription. If a deal is not reached, I won't be going to any Red Wings games this season and for the next 5-6 years, and I typically go to 5-8 games a year. I won't be making any road trips to see the Wings as well, as I normally do when the Wings visit the Dallas Stars and I get a chance to visit my cousin and see a game at the same time.

----

How do you get your point across? Cancel your Center Ice package before it automatically renews. Cancel your season ticket package and go to 5-10 games. Get season tickets to a local college hockey team. Stop buying hockey sweaters. Watch playoff games on TV. Save all that money, buy a nice pair of skates, and go skating two or three times a week. The End.

----

Go to 5-10 games? I won't be going to any. Screw those guys.

Go ahead owners, initiate a lockout. I won't spend a dime to attend an NHL game or buy NHL memorabilia. The most they will make out of me is watching the Wings on TV. I will save my money and time for the Griffins and college hockey.

Edited by Nightfall, 12 September 2012 - 07:23 AM.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#685 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

Are the owners all on the "same page"?

#686 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:28 AM

Nice to hear they are having a 45-minute negotiation again on Wednesday in an effort (can you even call it that?) to prevent a lockout...ugh

Well it's not like the NHL has supposedly already called a news conference for Thursday to officially announce the lockout. Oh wait... :brow:

Edited by ogreslayer, 12 September 2012 - 08:08 AM.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#687 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

Uncle Gary is working on his press conference speech right now. He'll make sure he mentions "the fans".

#688 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

Already cancelled my NHL Center Ice for this season. Just wait until the NHL adopts the NFL strategy of blacking out games on t.v. unless the arena sells out. Yay!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#689 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

Already cancelled my NHL Center Ice for this season. Just wait until the NHL adopts the NFL strategy of blacking out games on t.v. unless the arena sells out. Yay!

esteef

The Wings won't have that problem until they fall on hard times.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#690 RippedOnNitro

RippedOnNitro

Rookie

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

I will be cancelling my GameCenter subscription as soon as the lockout is official...no reason to keep paying for something that isn't there!

In case there is so much as even one regular season game cancelled, then I will not subscribe again for the remainder of the season.

They probably don't give a damn about it, but just for principle matter.
First round series win: $0 () Second round series win: $0 () Third round series win: $0 () Fourth round series win: $0 () Goal difference: $0 (-3) Shutout difference: $0 (0) SHG difference: $0 (0) Extra points reg. season: $3 (102)

TOTAL COLLECTED: $0 TOTAL BONUS IF STANLEY CUP: $3

#691 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

I don't understand why they have not been in meetings everyday all day trying to resolve this. Get an outside party involved to start pointing out ways to compromise. I don't want to lose hockey and they are all acting like children saying my way or no way.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#692 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,577 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

I don't understand why they have not been in meetings everyday all day trying to resolve this. Get an outside party involved to start pointing out ways to compromise. I don't want to lose hockey and they are all acting like children saying my way or no way.

Because it's not about a lack of conversation. It's an unwillingness to move off of their position.

The owners are willing to gamble the season away in hopes the players will say uncle first like they did in 2004,so ownership won't have to concede very much at all.

#693 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,577 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:15 AM

He's not an outside party, but that role is supposed to be Bettman's. Yes he is ultimately hired by the ownership but he is also supposed to be a steward of the league and operate in its best overall interests, not just act as a patsy for the owners. It's been mentioned in the press several times that he has a lot of latitude and authority from ownership in these negotations.

Obviously 30 different owners have varying interests. His job shouldn't be merely to galvanize them against the players union, but also to convince them to move in ways that help the overall league, not just their particular franchise.

#694 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,577 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

According to Dreger's Twitter, the PA is presenting something to the league this morning.

#695 Jedi

Jedi

Galmar Stone-Fist. Stormcloak. Wings Fan.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,787 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

According to Dreger's Twitter, the PA is presenting something to the league this morning.

Can't wait to see how long the NHL takes to reject it, and not move at all from their initial/revised-but-still-the-same-as-the-initial-proposal.

2cwlto0.jpg

#696 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

I will be cancelling my GameCenter subscription as soon as the lockout is official...no reason to keep paying for something that isn't there!

In case there is so much as even one regular season game cancelled, then I will not subscribe again for the remainder of the season.

They probably don't give a damn about it, but just for principle matter.

They'll give a damn about it. In this thread alone, several posters have stated they have cancelled or will cancel their NHL Center Ice subscription. Thousands more will. When they realize the amount of money they're losing, they'll start to care. Don't go to games once they end the lockout. Don't visit NHL.com. We, the fans, are in charge. We're making them millionaires, and we can take that away at any time.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#697 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

They'll give a damn about it. In this thread alone, several posters have stated they have cancelled or will cancel their NHL Center Ice subscription.

Yeah, talk is cheap though. Only a small fraction of all the people all over the internet threatening to cancel all their subscriptions actually will.

Obviously, a lot of people will still cancel though.

Edited by sleepwalker, 12 September 2012 - 11:53 AM.

#698 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

Can't wait to see how long the NHL takes to reject it, and not move at all from their initial/revised-but-still-the-same-as-the-initial-proposal.

There has to be some compromise. Depends on what the players propose, but from the way it looks, they are willing to compromise a bit more than the ownership. I would love to see the owners compromise a bit today in order to move things forward. Obviously, I am not holding my breath that there is compromise being given by either side. So far, neither side has proposed anything that could be considered to be a serious compromise. Cutting salaries, dropping arbitration, and limiting contracts by the owners and a temporary drop in player share of revenue but it goes back up to the same levels today are not groundbreaking. Start getting to the meat of the issue guys and get a deal done.

Yeah, talk is cheap though. Only a small fraction of all the people all over the internet threatening to cancel all their subscriptions actually will.

As a fan though, you do have a choice. I choose not to line the pockets of the owners or players if they don't come to a deal and there is a lockout. I hope others will follow my example.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#699 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

There has to be some compromise. Depends on what the players propose, but from the way it looks, they are willing to compromise a bit more than the ownership.

A bit more? LOL

The ownership has offered pretty much no compromise whatsoever, and has made it clear that they don't intend to either. Either the players cave and give in to all their demands, or they will stay locked out.

Edited by sleepwalker, 12 September 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#700 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

Obviously, a lot of people will still cancel though.

Yeah, I know that every person that states they'll cancel won't do it, but I feel like a good portion will. There have been several petitions signed to not go to games or buy merchandise in the event of a lockout. One of the petitions I saw online yesterday had 20,000 signatures. Of that, I'd say at least 10,000 are serious about it. The dollars lost adds up quick.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien