• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ogreslayer

2012 Lockout Watch

Rate this topic

From Toronto Star:

At the conclusion of Friday’s collective bargaining talks between the NHL and the NHL Players’ Association, it sounded as if both sides were singing from the same songbook when it comes to the business-like atmosphere surrounding the talks.

But there was a key difference: NHL commissioner Gary Bettman sounded as if he was operating on a short timeline during negotiations. NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr said he was unaware of any deadline.

This is so typical of Uncle Gary.

You obviously have a reading comprehension problem....let me break it down for you easily....

Not taking sides initially. Fans should be putting pressure on both sides equally to get a deal done.

If by September 15th, there is no deal in place, and the players want to play under the current CBA while they negotiate a deal, but the owners initiate a lockout, I will be on the side of the players since they are willing to work under the current agreement and continue negotiations. The owners will simply be greedy if they lockout at that stage. If the players initiate the lockout, then that will be greed based as well and I will side with the owners at that point.

Simple enough?

Technically, the players can't initiate a lockout. They don't have the keys so to speak. They can strike, not lock out.

So I'm reading the owners key points in their offer to the players today. I realize starting high is key in negotiating but this is ridiculous!

1-reduce player revenue from 57% to 46%

2-five year contract limits

3-ten years in the NHL before becoming UFA

4-entry level contracts 5 yrs instead of 3

5-no more salary arbitration

The owners know this will not fly and they will have to give so I understand starting out high but this is ludicrous

So I'm reading the owners key points in their offer to the players today. I realize starting high is key in negotiating but this is ridiculous!

The owners know this will not fly and they will have to give so I understand starting out high but this is ludicrous

1. Owners would be lucky if they got player revenue down to a 50/50 split, which is what I feel they are going for

2. That will probably come up to around 7 or 8 if its included, which would be alright

3. Not sure how this will go

4. Don't see this happening, but I could see it bumped up to 4

5. There is no way the players association will go for this, there will most likely be more restrictions on arbitration but it will still be there

This isn't really that high, especially in such a long negotiation like this. I can guarantee the PA is doing exactly the same thing with some rather extreme demands. Being this early in the process these points are alright, but if it still looks like this come late August, then its time to start worrying.

Edited by Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

Well at least the owners picked a reasonable starting point. :shocking:

I've gone from wondering if we'll lose some hockey games to wondering just how many.

Well at least the owners picked a reasonable starting point. :shocking:

I've gone from wondering if we'll lose some hockey games to wondering just how many.

The NHL will not recover from another lockout, no matter how short... I have to imagine they'll sort it out

The NHL will not recover from another lockout, no matter how short... I have to imagine they'll sort it out

I hope so, but this list is after how many days of negotiating?

The owners are really going for it here at the start. No arbitration, 5 year entry level contracts, ten years before a player is a UFA, AND notching down salaries by over 10%?? Those are all huge. Honestly on that list reducing salaries is probably the least aggressive and most realistic starting point.

It's ridiculous, there needs to be a ton of bending on both sides if we are gonna watch hockey next season. This isn't a powerhouse league like the NFL, risking another lockout isn't in the best interest of the NHL, and i'm not entirely sure why the changes would be so steep all things considered.

Looks like something else as well

Larry Brooks of the New York Post also tweeted that the NHL's proposal would eliminate signing bonuses on future contracts and mandate that all future deals have an equal value for every year of the contract.

I'm fine with 2 and the above quote.

1. Needs to be 50/50

3. I like that players can leave at 28 years of age. That's their true prime and should be able to get top dollar if that's what they are looking for.

4. I think 3 years is fine. Just get rid of the stupid rule that a guy at 21 cannot become a UFA if they do not sign with the team that drafted them (Schultz)

5. I don't see this going away.

This is beyond ridiculous, ....the owners seriously. I know its about starting low, but I really hope Fehr and the NHLPA will throw them a big F...you combined with a statement about not playing with us or we won't negotiate any further.

It is so funny, the owners got exactly what they wanted during the last CBA and now it isn't good enough anymore? Talk about a bunch of superwealth capitalists, shame on them go Fehr go! As a player and/or PA representive I would take this offer as offensive and counter with something like:

1. increase player revenue from 57 to 75 %

2. 25 year contracts limit

3. 3 years in the NHL before becoming UFA

4. 1 year entry level contract

5. teams can't walk from salary arbitration but players can

Sounds stupid? Yes, but it is just the opposite from the things the owners are asking for, hello lockout bye season 2013

Edited by frankgrimes

Well, given the past history between NHL and the NHLPA, and the fact that the players hired D.Fehr, I am now certain that at least a half of the next season will be lost to a lockout. To top it off, the All Star game was supposed to be here in Columbus this year, there goes my best chance to see it live... :crybaby:

Edited by sibiriak

I can't imagine the GM's would be in agreement with contracts that are equal in every year. That would really handcuff them. I mean what do you do with a player in the tail end of his career if you can't taper down the salary in the last years ... even if 5 years was the limit. I'm not including the circumventing contracts where it goes on for 13 and it goes down to $1m/yr at the end, those should somehow be eliminated.

While others have spent their off season spazzing about how the Wings are now a bottom feeder team, I have convinced myself to remain level headed and optimistic. I will warn everyone here and now that THIS negotiation process is my munchkin. I also recognize that the first couple proposals in negotiations are usually ludicrous, but I'm already finding myself fighting off a rage stroke at the thought of another lost season. There is NO excuse for a lockout, and I will degenerate to posting like a 12 year old if these ridiculously skewed proposals continue. Do you hear me Bettman? You won't like me when I post like a 12 year old!!!

tumblr_m5xutcpAdm1qcmt9d.gif

Meh - no surprises.

Honestly the idiocy of this first proposal from the league side surprised me.

I didn't think negotiations would be a piece of cake, but I didn't think the owners would be going for such huge concessions from the players, given they announced that the cap and therefore revenue went up yet again just a few weeks ago.

And I think it's important to remember that the players already have their salary tied to revenue in spite of the fact that their job has pretty much zero control over league revenues. That is a big risk and concession on their part. But now that revenue has gone up so players salaries have as well, the owners already want to restructure things to make it even more favorable.

From New York Post:

Sources within the industry last night told The Post the league is not only demanding the players accept a cut in their percentage of the gross from the current 57 percent to 46 percent, but also recalculating the definition of Hockey Related Revenue so the pot from which the owners and players share would be drastically reduced.

This might be the most overlooked part of yesterday's "leak".

Worse than that, going from 57 to 46 is a 19.3% paycut.

I hope so, but this list is after how many days of negotiating?

The owners are really going for it here at the start. No arbitration, 5 year entry level contracts, ten years before a player is a UFA, AND notching down salaries by over 10%?? Those are all huge. Honestly on that list reducing salaries is probably the least aggressive and most realistic starting point.

Dear Lord,

Please allow the millionaires on both sides to get what they want so I can attend the 3 games this year I can afford.

And I can watch the three Red Wing games that are televised where I live. Granted no basketball, baseball, or football games are playing that night.

1) reduce player revenue from 57% to 52%

2) seven year contract limits

3) 28 years old, 7 years in the NHL for UFA status

4) keep entry level contracts 3 years

5) keep salary arbitration

drop the puck Oct. 11th to kick off the regular season.

Instead, this will likely get ugly.

Here's a pretty good breakdown of what the owner's demands may mean (and it ain't pretty).

http://www.onthefore...ncy-negotiation

Salary reduction

A reduction from 57% to 46% would take almost $300 million out of the players' share, and you can bet that they'll fight this point aggressively.

With the salary cap currently set at $70.2 million, this move would knock it down to $56.7 million, and you can bet that the only practical way to accomplish this would involve a rollback on all existing contracts of roughly 20%, just like they did in 2005.

UFA status

Currently, NHL players have to achieve age 27 or have 7 years of North American pro experience to reach unrestricted free agent status, a timeline which is longer than in the other major pro sports. ...Pro athletes place tremendous value on the chance for unrestricted free agency, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them concede a bit on the financial side in order to move this timeline up.

Arbitration

So few players actually end up in an arbitration hearing that this shouldn't turn into a major battlefield, but when combined with the 10-year timeline to UFA status, this would take away a useful negotiating tool for most players in the league (since only a minority make it to 10 years).