• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Johnz96

Iginla

Rate this topic

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Johnz96

Trade Cleary and Abdelkader for Clowe and sign him to an extension. SJ gets PK help and Wings get the big gritty power forward they so desperately need. But the question is, would the Wings and SJ ever do a trade together?

Iginla is interesting but i'd rather wait a year until he hits FA and will hopefully sign a bargain deal for a shot at the cup if the Wings are in that position.

Trading Cleary and Abdelkader for Clowe would actually make us less gritty and smaller.

Cleary and Abdelkader are 2 of our biggest and most physical forwards.

Cleary is a much more capable scorer that Clowe and Abby is more physcial (although Clowe is a better fighter(but fighting doesn't make a difference with goals scored or goals allowed and that's how you win games), better defensively than Clowe and also good on faceoffs. If he played 18 mins a game on the top 2 lines he would probably score just as much, maybe more

Guest Johnz96

I'm sorry, if LGW's off-season plan to get even OLDER?

Iginla is a hell of a player, but I'm not trading huge assets to acquire him. We need to reload for the future. Not reload for one or two seasons.

We didn't have to give up anybody for them and a lot of people criticized their acquisition for the same reasons but Hull and Robitaille put us over the top in 02 . Iginla would put us over the top. We could roll 3 lines again and when they put them together, Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Iginla would be the best line in the league and we would have the toughest player we have had in years.

I'm sorry, if LGW's off-season plan to get even OLDER?

Iginla is a hell of a player, but I'm not trading huge assets to acquire him. We need to reload for the future. Not reload for one or two seasons.

He's 34. He'd fit right in with Datsyuk and Z! laugh.gif

Not that it'll change anit-Semin folks on here, but at the World's he played his 3 games with Datsyuk and had 5 point in those 3 games. If he signed here and averaged the similar 1.66 PPG, I think he would be considered a great signing...was it country pride or playing with Datsyuk? Not sure, but I'd welcome that production...at least as a plan B if we aren't able into the Parise-stakes...

Guest Johnz96

Not that it'll change anit-Semin folks on here, but at the World's he played his 3 games with Datsyuk and had 5 point in those 3 games. If he signed here and averaged the similar 1.66 PPG, I think he would be considered a great signing...was it country pride or playing with Datsyuk? Not sure, but I'd welcome that production...at least as a plan B if we aren't able into the Parise-stakes...

More than half the players he played against weren't good enough to make it in the NHL and he has had a few 3 game stretches this year in which he scored 5 or more points you can't take a players PPG over 3 games and deduce anything from it. He scored 4 points in the last 3 regular season games only to go on to match that total in 14 playoff games.

I don't think that comparing Semin to Franzen (as some often do) is very fair. I think he's more comparable to Alex Kovalev, in that he is a highly skilled yet very inconsistent winger who doesn't play a power forward's game (or isn't supposed to, as Franzen is). Kovalev remained that over the entirety of his career and so he was usually paid about 4-5 million a year and never topped 5 million. So far in his career Semin is the same sort of guy, and should get the same sort of contract...BUT, there's always the chance that it really was the organization he played for. Everyone knows Boudreau let the stars run wild out there. Always a chance Semin could be a reclamation project.

I'd rather see the Wings chase Parise and lock down the top six for a while. But if they can't, and Semin could be had for 4-4.5 million SHORT TERM, then I'd do it. As a realist I'd expect about 50-60 points out of him, if I got more I'd be thrilled.

Also, say what you want about his lazyness or whatever, but at 6'2, 215 lbs, shooting and skating ability, he's still much tougher to play against that Hudler, even if they put up the same point totals. No knock on Jiri, he works hard and had one hell of a season, has the intangibles, but doesn't have the same skill set.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest Johnz96

I don't think that comparing Semin to Franzen (as some often do) is very fair. I think he's more comparable to Alex Kovalev, in that he is a highly skilled yet very inconsistent winger who doesn't play a power forward's game (or isn't supposed to, as Franzen is). Kovalev remained that over the entirety of his career and so he was usually paid about 4-5 million a year and never topped 5 million. So far in his career Semin is the same sort of guy, and should get the same sort of contract...BUT, there's always the chance that it really was the organization he played for. Everyone knows Boudreau let the stars run wild out there. Always a chance Semin could be a reclamation project.

I'd rather see the Wings chase Parise and lock down the top six for a while. But if they can't, and Semin could be had for 4-4.5 million SHORT TERM, then I'd do it. As a realist I'd expect about 50-60 points out of him, if I got more I'd be thrilled.

Also, say what you want about his lazyness or whatever, but at 6'2, 215 lbs, shooting and skating ability, he's still much tougher to play against that Hudler, even if they put up the same point totals. No knock on Jiri, he works hard and had one hell of a season, has the intangibles, but doesn't have the same skill set.

The Tortoise and the Hare

We didn't have to give up anybody for them and a lot of people criticized their acquisition for the same reasons but Hull and Robitaille put us over the top in 02 . Iginla would put us over the top. We could roll 3 lines again and when they put them together, Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Iginla would be the best line in the league and we would have the toughest player we have had in years.

That right there is the entire point. I am fine with signing skilled older players unless it deals with having to trade valuable younger assets of our own to acquire him.

The Flames are looking to get younger and rebuild at some point. They are the constant of mediocrity even with guys like Iginla and Kiprusoff. Detroit has the talent still but only have a few young guys who have the capability to get better and keep this team from becoming a Flames 2.0. You move our young pieces for a couple years and you have a potentially larger chance for a cup, but you give up on trying to acquire younger free agents who have similar talent and essentially keep yourself from being able to reload again.

No to Iginla as an offseason acquisition. Even if the Flames would be willing to trade him.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Guys, Iginla is a Flame for life. The Flames are like the movie Groundhog Day. They do the same thing over and over and over again. They compete and are in the playoff hunt but then die and miss out. Then they come back the next season and repeat it. Much like the Wings the past 3 seasons. Iginla and Kiprusoff should have been traded years ago and the re-build would have been paying off right now. But they are and were in denial and have remained status quo so therefore are still mediocre.

Guest Johnz96

Guys, Iginla is a Flame for life. The Flames are like the movie Groundhog Day. They do the same thing over and over and over again. They compete and are in the playoff hunt but then die and miss out. Then they come back the next season and repeat it. Much like the Wings the past 3 seasons. Iginla and Kiprusoff should have been traded years ago and the re-build would have been paying off right now. But they are and were in denial and have remained status quo so therefore are still mediocre.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?id=392706&hubname=nhl-flames

The stereotypical underachieving soft Russian player or the gritty powerfoward that's scored the most goals of the decade and is hungry for a cup? I'm gonna have to go with Iginla and throw in any prospect that isn't Smith. Iginla + Suter + Parise with Nick taking a major paycut for one more run.. a boy can dream.

He's 34. He'd fit right in with Datsyuk and Z! laugh.gif

Yeah that's not really old for hockey players these days and Iginla doesn't have a history of injuries. I think you can get 4-5 good seasons out of him before it's time to call it quits. A 34 Iginla isn't a 34 Franzen or Bertuzzi. Edited by Number19

No knock on Iginla, I think he's a great player and would love it if he were a free agent at the same time as Parise, which would help keep the prices down. But he's not, and I certainly don't want us to trade away assets. Addition without subtraction for this guy. We're already not deep enough according to Holland and Babcock, I don't see how trading anybody is going to help that.

The stereotypical underachieving soft Russian player or the gritty powerfoward that's scored the most goals of the decade and is hungry for a cup? I'm gonna have to go with Iginla and throw in any prospect that isn't Smith. Iginla + Suter + Parise with Nick taking a major paycut for one more run.. a boy can dream.

A prospect? They will want Smith plus at least one of Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, Jurco and possibly picks. Then the wings are saddled a 7 million dollar forward who didn't score 40 goals or hit over 70 points. For the 7 million dollars they need to commit it to younger players who will be with the organization for more than one season.

Guest Johnz96

A prospect? They will want Smith plus at least one of Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, Jurco and possibly picks. Then the wings are saddled a 7 million dollar forward who didn't score 40 goals or hit over 70 points. For the 7 million dollars they need to commit it to younger players who will be with the organization for more than one season.

He had 32 goals and 67 points playing for Calgary, 2 points less than Parise playing on a much weaker team and with less ice-time, he had a whole lot more points than Semin and they both will end up with a contract somewhere around 7 million. Not only does Iginla provide just as much offense if not more than either of them he would also provide us with much needed toughness and size

He had 32 goals and 67 points playing for Calgary, 2 points less than Parise playing on a much weaker team and with less ice-time, he had a whole lot more points than Semin and they both will end up with a contract somewhere around 7 million. Not only does Iginla provide just as much offense if not more than either of them he would also provide us with much needed toughness and size

IF he were a free agent I would agree with you that he wouldn't be a terrible pick up, but for 7 million dollars AND prospects/picks makes him not worth it. Add to that Parise is 7 years younger and is just entering his prime then you see that Parise is the all around better option. Semin and Iggy are apples and oranges as Semin is less of a sniper and more of a playmaker.

I meant prospect(s) of course they'd want more than one. The odds are against most prospects of amounting to anything in the NHL and this will be for the most proven commodity available. The guy has scored like 30+ goals for 13 straight seasons with playmakers like Craig Conroy.

Semin would be Lang 2.0 without the clutch playoff goals.

The guy we should really be talking about here is Corey Perry. (Or Ryan Getzlaf.) (Or Milan Lucic.) (Or Daniel Girardi.)

He would be the right move, but for sure it would cost a TON, starting with Filppula...Ahhh, if only he were a UFA this off season... Not to hijack the thread, but who (realistically, I don't wanna see Miller/Cleary/MacDonald crap) would you say goodbye to, in order to get Perry (AND THEN RE-SIGN HIM IMMEDIATELY!)

I love Filppula, but Anaheim loves Selanne and if they want to get him another season, Filppula (who Selanne had said he loves playing with) would be a huge piece to start with. I'd hate to trade away future, but Perry is in his prime and if re-signed for at least 5 more years, one or two wouldn't sting too much. Unfortunately for me, I don't watch our prospects too much to know who to barter with and who is untouchable...I'd really hate to lose Smith. Maybe sign and trade Quincey along with Filppula and Brad Stuart's bargaining rights? To me, that still kind of sounds like a EA Sports trade...Help me out! Help me acquire Corey Perry to be that sniper next to Datsyuk!

He would be the right move, but for sure it would cost a TON, starting with Filppula...Ahhh, if only he were a UFA this off season... Not to hijack the thread, but who (realistically, I don't wanna see Miller/Cleary/MacDonald crap) would you say goodbye to, in order to get Perry (AND THEN RE-SIGN HIM IMMEDIATELY!)

I love Filppula, but Anaheim loves Selanne and if they want to get him another season, Filppula (who Selanne had said he loves playing with) would be a huge piece to start with. I'd hate to trade away future, but Perry is in his prime and if re-signed for at least 5 more years, one or two wouldn't sting too much. Unfortunately for me, I don't watch our prospects too much to know who to barter with and who is untouchable...I'd really hate to lose Smith. Maybe sign and trade Quincey along with Filppula and Brad Stuart's bargaining rights? To me, that still kind of sounds like a EA Sports trade...Help me out! Help me acquire Corey Perry to be that sniper next to Datsyuk!

Didn't Anaheim have bad defense? They would probably want Fil and Smith.

You're right, we'd have to give A LOT to get them, probably a high end roster player (Flip), a prospect (Smith or Nyquist), and a first rounder to get Perry. Additionally, Perry isn't really a "sniper" but more of a power forward that scores from down low. I'm not saying he wouldn't be useful, but if you're looking for a sniper then forget Perry, Getzlaf, or Lucic because that's not the game they play. They are all essentially better versions of what Franzen was supposed to be. Again, not to say I don't think those guys are good, or that I wouldn't want them, but they aren't pure goal scorers in the Iginla, Parise, Hossa, Kovalchuk, mold.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest Crymson

You're right, we'd have to give A LOT to get them, probably a high end roster player (Flip), a prospect (Smith or Nyquist), and a first rounder to get Perry. Additionally, Perry isn't really a "sniper" but more of a power forward that scores from down low. I'm not saying he wouldn't be useful, but if you're looking for a sniper then forget Perry, Getzlaf, or Lucic because that's not the game they play. They are all essentially better versions of what Franzen was supposed to be. Again, not to say I don't think those guys are good, or that I wouldn't want them, but they aren't pure goal scorers in the Iginla, Parise, Hossa, Kovalchuk, mold.

It's funny to see people call Hossa a pure goal-scorer. He has scored 24, 25 and 29 goals in his three seasons with the Blackhawks.

It's funny to see people call Hossa a pure goal-scorer. He has scored 24, 25 and 29 goals in his three seasons with the Blackhawks.

I never said he was the best at it in the League or anything, but he's generally considered a finisher rather than a playmaker or power forward. Largely based on his laser of a shot. He's scored 30+ goals seven times in his career and 40+ goals three times. Not exactly sure how you'd classify him?

Edited by kipwinger