• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Johnz96

Iginla

Rate this topic

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Clowe is 29 and a UFA after the 12/13 season. He might be cheap. Or at least cheaper than someone signed long term. He is the type of plyer we need about 3-4 more of. Big, tough, and gritty. he has been fairly consistant the last 4 years. Right around 20 goals, 60 points, 100 PIM every year.

As for the original question, no on both. 1 is old and expensive, the other plays without heart.

Trade Cleary and Abdelkader for Clowe and sign him to an extension. SJ gets PK help and Wings get the big gritty power forward they so desperately need. But the question is, would the Wings and SJ ever do a trade together?

Iginla is interesting but i'd rather wait a year until he hits FA and will hopefully sign a bargain deal for a shot at the cup if the Wings are in that position.

Guest Crymson

Clowe is 29 and a UFA after the 12/13 season. He might be cheap. Or at least cheaper than someone signed long term. He is the type of plyer we need about 3-4 more of. Big, tough, and gritty. he has been fairly consistant the last 4 years. Right around 20 goals, 60 points, 100 PIM every year.

What on earth makes you think that Clowe's salary would go DOWN when he becomes a UFA?

Unless nearly every single one of his penalties was a major, you're incorrect. He had 97 PIM this season, 100 in the season before, and 131 in the season before that.

And yes, the typical point about "change of scenery" might be true, but it might not. And it's certainly not going to make him more disciplined. More, consider that he racked up those 17 goals playing on a very good 2nd line and is only marginally less expensive than Franzen.

Johan Franzen plays every game practically with Pavel frickin Datsyuk. I'd say that's pretty good company for a linemate. So you can't really credit Clowe's goals to the right surroundings without doing the same for Franzen.

Not to mention, all the other things Clowe provides for that slightly less price tag. Does Franzen do anything else besides score goals with the most creative player in hockey? Those 17 goals (in a down season) also bring you size, grit and an actual physical presence to the top-six. Bertuzzi takes more penalties in the offensive zone than just about anyone in hockey, so it's not like the Red Wings would be adding some foreign concept of being undisciplined to the team.

Guest Crymson

Johan Franzen plays every game practically with Pavel frickin Datsyuk. I'd say that's pretty good company for a linemate. So you can't really credit Clowe's goals to the right surroundings without doing the same for Franzen.

Not to mention, all the other things Clowe provides for that slightly less price tag. Does Franzen do anything else besides score goals with the most creative player in hockey? Those 17 goals (in a down season) also bring you size, grit and an actual physical presence to the top-six. Bertuzzi takes more penalties in the offensive zone than just about anyone in hockey, so it's not like the Red Wings would be adding some foreign concept of being undisciplined to the team.

If Clowe is so great, then why are so many Sharks fans wanting him out the door?

As for the original question, no on both. 1 is old and expensive, the other plays without heart.

no thanks.

Edited by Autika

If Clowe is so great, then why are so many Sharks fans wanting him out the door?

I don't know what your basis is for that, but I'm guessing most Sharks fans are upset with just about everyone on that team by now.

Besides, most Red Wings fans wouldn't care if Franzen left either, so there's always that. If your argument against Clowe stems solely from what their fan base thinks then that doesn't do much to convince me he wouldn't be a great fit here. I have provided numerous reasons why Clowe would be a nice addition, mainly because he gives the Red Wings a lot of things they don't currently possess.

What on earth makes you think that Clowe's salary would go DOWN when he becomes a UFA?

You read that wrong. he will be cheaper to get being a pending UFA. IE cost us fewer players to aquire.

no thanks.

I guess you are to young to remember when Primeau used to hit guys in the head with his stick while sitting on our bench. If he doesn't get caught, it is a great play. We he about how smart or crafty he is..... Guys have been doing this type of stuff since the begining of time. Kinda like corked bats or cut baseballs.

You read that wrong. he will be cheaper to get being a pending UFA. IE cost us fewer players to aquire.

I guess you are to young to remember when Primeau used to hit guys in the head with his stick while sitting on our bench. If he doesn't get caught, it is a great play. We he about how smart or crafty he is..... Guys have been doing this type of stuff since the begining of time. Kinda like corked bats or cut baseballs.

If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin! I'd take Clowe in a trade for sure!

So corked bats, cut baseballs and playing the puck from the bench is ok as long as you don't get caught? :huh:

So corked bats, cut baseballs and playing the puck from the bench is ok as long as you don't get caught? :huh:

Are you 12? no it isn't ok. It is against the rules. But does it happen? yes all the time. The HOF's in every sport are filled with guys who broke the rules.

Are you 12? no it isn't ok. It is against the rules. But does it happen? yes all the time. The HOF's in every sport are filled with guys who broke the rules.

You seriously just said "If he doesn't get caught, it is a great play."

I didn't even have to type that. copy and paste.

Guest Crymson

:lol: at how this Iginla vs. Semin thread has turned into a Clowe thread...

Topic...If Iginla and Semin were our only two options, I am still going for Iginla. (sorry to disappoint ya kip)

So you'd rather trade valuable assets for Iginla than sign a UFA Semin?

Unless nearly every single one of his penalties was a major, you're incorrect. He had 97 PIM this season, 100 in the season before, and 131 in the season before that.

And yes, the typical point about "change of scenery" might be true, but it might not. And it's certainly not going to make him more disciplined. More, consider that he racked up those 17 goals playing on a very good 2nd line and is only marginally less expensive than Franzen.

So you're saying his PIM goes down every year? hmm...

Technically, the money they'd spend on Semin is also a valuable asset.

I believe that money would be wasted if we signed him.

Not as valuable as money+top prospects. Iggy is not worth 7 million plus prospects+picks.

Edited by Shaman464

Well, it all depends on what it would cost to get Iginla or what it would cost to sign Semin...I definitely think Iginla is the better player, but if Semin comes on Hudler's salary, that is cool. But if he wants $7M, then Ignila is a the better choice, depending on what Calgary would want in trade...

Guest Johnz96

Have you been watching any Jersey games?

Parise or bust.

If "Zoidberg" scored only 4 goals and 9 points in 14 games we would be hearing about how he is over the hill

Edited by Johnz96

Guest Johnz96

Forgot "Kill Self" option.

I would LOVE Clowe. That'd be one of the best reasonable trades Holland could make, imo.

Iginla not quite as big as Clowe but is tougher and a much better hockey player, Iginla could score 50 goals playing with the Wings

Guest Johnz96

Have you been watching any Jersey games?

Parise or bust.

Iginla's production was identical to Parise's this year despite playing with lesser teammates and getting less ice-time, he can produce more than Parise and offers much needed size and toughness that Parise doesn't and is hungry for a Cup. It would be a shame if he retired without winning a Cup

It's not so crazy.

We want no part of Semin. Soft, lazy, moody, streaky, of practically no use to our special teams, one-dimensional game (all O, no D)....

On the other hand...

Iginla's production was identical to Parise's this year despite playing with lesser teammates and getting less ice-time, he can produce more than Parise and offers much needed size and toughness that Parise doesn't and is hungry for a Cup. It would be a shame if he retired without winning a Cup

- Iginla's 34. Parise's 27.

- If we're talking about the right here and the right now, Iginla would cost some combination of roster players, prospects, and a pick - whereas Parise will be had for $$$

- Parise's no power-forward, but he's far from soft. He plays a very fast, aggressive game - not unlike the kind of hockey the Kings are playing right now

- Parise is, I think, better suited to our puck-posession system. His speed alone would do wonders for it

Guest Johnz96

Trade Cleary and Abdelkader for Clowe and sign him to an extension. SJ gets PK help and Wings get the big gritty power forward they so desperately need. But the question is, would the Wings and SJ ever do a trade together?

Iginla is interesting but i'd rather wait a year until he hits FA and will hopefully sign a bargain deal for a shot at the cup if the Wings are in that position.

If we sign Smin we probably won't have the cap space to do anything next year

Semin scored 4 points and was a -4 in 14 playoff games this year, Iginla has 28 goals in 54career playoff games, is hungry for a Cup and was just as productive as Parise this year despite getting less ice-time on a weaker team and would be the toughest player we have had since Kocur

Edited by Johnz96