• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

So you'd rather trade valuable assets for Iginla than sign a UFA Semin?

Technically, the money they'd spend on Semin is also a valuable asset.

I believe that money would be wasted if we signed him.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#42 centcougar07

centcougar07

Rookie

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

Unless nearly every single one of his penalties was a major, you're incorrect. He had 97 PIM this season, 100 in the season before, and 131 in the season before that.

And yes, the typical point about "change of scenery" might be true, but it might not. And it's certainly not going to make him more disciplined. More, consider that he racked up those 17 goals playing on a very good 2nd line and is only marginally less expensive than Franzen.

So you're saying his PIM goes down every year? hmm...

#43 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

Technically, the money they'd spend on Semin is also a valuable asset.

I believe that money would be wasted if we signed him.

Not as valuable as money+top prospects. Iggy is not worth 7 million plus prospects+picks.

Edited by Shaman464, 18 May 2012 - 05:22 PM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#44 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,735 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

Well, it all depends on what it would cost to get Iginla or what it would cost to sign Semin...I definitely think Iginla is the better player, but if Semin comes on Hudler's salary, that is cool. But if he wants $7M, then Ignila is a the better choice, depending on what Calgary would want in trade...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#45 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

Have you been watching any Jersey games?

Parise or bust.

If "Zoidberg" scored only 4 goals and 9 points in 14 games we would be hearing about how he is over the hill

Edited by Johnz96, 19 May 2012 - 10:42 AM.

#46 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

Forgot "Kill Self" option.

I would LOVE Clowe. That'd be one of the best reasonable trades Holland could make, imo.

Iginla not quite as big as Clowe but is tougher and a much better hockey player, Iginla could score 50 goals playing with the Wings

#47 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

Have you been watching any Jersey games?

Parise or bust.

Iginla's production was identical to Parise's this year despite playing with lesser teammates and getting less ice-time, he can produce more than Parise and offers much needed size and toughness that Parise doesn't and is hungry for a Cup. It would be a shame if he retired without winning a Cup

#48 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

It's not so crazy.

We want no part of Semin. Soft, lazy, moody, streaky, of practically no use to our special teams, one-dimensional game (all O, no D)....

Don't Toews me, bro!

#49 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

On the other hand...

Iginla's production was identical to Parise's this year despite playing with lesser teammates and getting less ice-time, he can produce more than Parise and offers much needed size and toughness that Parise doesn't and is hungry for a Cup. It would be a shame if he retired without winning a Cup

- Iginla's 34. Parise's 27.
- If we're talking about the right here and the right now, Iginla would cost some combination of roster players, prospects, and a pick - whereas Parise will be had for $$$
- Parise's no power-forward, but he's far from soft. He plays a very fast, aggressive game - not unlike the kind of hockey the Kings are playing right now
- Parise is, I think, better suited to our puck-posession system. His speed alone would do wonders for it

Don't Toews me, bro!

#50 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

Trade Cleary and Abdelkader for Clowe and sign him to an extension. SJ gets PK help and Wings get the big gritty power forward they so desperately need. But the question is, would the Wings and SJ ever do a trade together?

Iginla is interesting but i'd rather wait a year until he hits FA and will hopefully sign a bargain deal for a shot at the cup if the Wings are in that position.

If we sign Smin we probably won't have the cap space to do anything next year

Semin scored 4 points and was a -4 in 14 playoff games this year, Iginla has 28 goals in 54career playoff games, is hungry for a Cup and was just as productive as Parise this year despite getting less ice-time on a weaker team and would be the toughest player we have had since Kocur

Edited by Johnz96, 20 May 2012 - 09:48 AM.

#51 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Trade Cleary and Abdelkader for Clowe and sign him to an extension. SJ gets PK help and Wings get the big gritty power forward they so desperately need. But the question is, would the Wings and SJ ever do a trade together?

Iginla is interesting but i'd rather wait a year until he hits FA and will hopefully sign a bargain deal for a shot at the cup if the Wings are in that position.

Trading Cleary and Abdelkader for Clowe would actually make us less gritty and smaller.
Cleary and Abdelkader are 2 of our biggest and most physical forwards.
Cleary is a much more capable scorer that Clowe and Abby is more physcial (although Clowe is a better fighter(but fighting doesn't make a difference with goals scored or goals allowed and that's how you win games), better defensively than Clowe and also good on faceoffs. If he played 18 mins a game on the top 2 lines he would probably score just as much, maybe more

#52 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

I'm sorry, if LGW's off-season plan to get even OLDER?

Iginla is a hell of a player, but I'm not trading huge assets to acquire him. We need to reload for the future. Not reload for one or two seasons.

Posted Image

#53 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

Iginla is a hell of a player, but I'm not trading huge assets to acquire him. We need to reload for the future. Not reload for one or two seasons.

We didn't have to give up anybody for them and a lot of people criticized their acquisition for the same reasons but Hull and Robitaille put us over the top in 02 . Iginla would put us over the top. We could roll 3 lines again and when they put them together, Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Iginla would be the best line in the league and we would have the toughest player we have had in years.

#54 centcougar07

centcougar07

Rookie

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

He's 34. He'd fit right in with Datsyuk and Z! Posted Image

#55 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,735 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

Not that it'll change anit-Semin folks on here, but at the World's he played his 3 games with Datsyuk and had 5 point in those 3 games. If he signed here and averaged the similar 1.66 PPG, I think he would be considered a great signing...was it country pride or playing with Datsyuk? Not sure, but I'd welcome that production...at least as a plan B if we aren't able into the Parise-stakes...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#56 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

Please, Lord, no Semin.

Please, Lord, no Iginla.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#57 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

Not that it'll change anit-Semin folks on here, but at the World's he played his 3 games with Datsyuk and had 5 point in those 3 games. If he signed here and averaged the similar 1.66 PPG, I think he would be considered a great signing...was it country pride or playing with Datsyuk? Not sure, but I'd welcome that production...at least as a plan B if we aren't able into the Parise-stakes...

More than half the players he played against weren't good enough to make it in the NHL and he has had a few 3 game stretches this year in which he scored 5 or more points you can't take a players PPG over 3 games and deduce anything from it. He scored 4 points in the last 3 regular season games only to go on to match that total in 14 playoff games.

#58 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

I don't think that comparing Semin to Franzen (as some often do) is very fair. I think he's more comparable to Alex Kovalev, in that he is a highly skilled yet very inconsistent winger who doesn't play a power forward's game (or isn't supposed to, as Franzen is). Kovalev remained that over the entirety of his career and so he was usually paid about 4-5 million a year and never topped 5 million. So far in his career Semin is the same sort of guy, and should get the same sort of contract...BUT, there's always the chance that it really was the organization he played for. Everyone knows Boudreau let the stars run wild out there. Always a chance Semin could be a reclamation project.

I'd rather see the Wings chase Parise and lock down the top six for a while. But if they can't, and Semin could be had for 4-4.5 million SHORT TERM, then I'd do it. As a realist I'd expect about 50-60 points out of him, if I got more I'd be thrilled.

Also, say what you want about his lazyness or whatever, but at 6'2, 215 lbs, shooting and skating ability, he's still much tougher to play against that Hudler, even if they put up the same point totals. No knock on Jiri, he works hard and had one hell of a season, has the intangibles, but doesn't have the same skill set.

Edited by kipwinger, 21 May 2012 - 01:12 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#59 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

I don't think that comparing Semin to Franzen (as some often do) is very fair. I think he's more comparable to Alex Kovalev, in that he is a highly skilled yet very inconsistent winger who doesn't play a power forward's game (or isn't supposed to, as Franzen is). Kovalev remained that over the entirety of his career and so he was usually paid about 4-5 million a year and never topped 5 million. So far in his career Semin is the same sort of guy, and should get the same sort of contract...BUT, there's always the chance that it really was the organization he played for. Everyone knows Boudreau let the stars run wild out there. Always a chance Semin could be a reclamation project.

I'd rather see the Wings chase Parise and lock down the top six for a while. But if they can't, and Semin could be had for 4-4.5 million SHORT TERM, then I'd do it. As a realist I'd expect about 50-60 points out of him, if I got more I'd be thrilled.

Also, say what you want about his lazyness or whatever, but at 6'2, 215 lbs, shooting and skating ability, he's still much tougher to play against that Hudler, even if they put up the same point totals. No knock on Jiri, he works hard and had one hell of a season, has the intangibles, but doesn't have the same skill set.

The Tortoise and the Hare

#60 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

We didn't have to give up anybody for them and a lot of people criticized their acquisition for the same reasons but Hull and Robitaille put us over the top in 02 . Iginla would put us over the top. We could roll 3 lines again and when they put them together, Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Iginla would be the best line in the league and we would have the toughest player we have had in years.

That right there is the entire point. I am fine with signing skilled older players unless it deals with having to trade valuable younger assets of our own to acquire him.

The Flames are looking to get younger and rebuild at some point. They are the constant of mediocrity even with guys like Iginla and Kiprusoff. Detroit has the talent still but only have a few young guys who have the capability to get better and keep this team from becoming a Flames 2.0. You move our young pieces for a couple years and you have a potentially larger chance for a cup, but you give up on trying to acquire younger free agents who have similar talent and essentially keep yourself from being able to reload again.

No to Iginla as an offseason acquisition. Even if the Flames would be willing to trade him.

Posted Image