• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#61 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

Guys, Iginla is a Flame for life. The Flames are like the movie Groundhog Day. They do the same thing over and over and over again. They compete and are in the playoff hunt but then die and miss out. Then they come back the next season and repeat it. Much like the Wings the past 3 seasons. Iginla and Kiprusoff should have been traded years ago and the re-build would have been paying off right now. But they are and were in denial and have remained status quo so therefore are still mediocre.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#62 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

Guys, Iginla is a Flame for life. The Flames are like the movie Groundhog Day. They do the same thing over and over and over again. They compete and are in the playoff hunt but then die and miss out. Then they come back the next season and repeat it. Much like the Wings the past 3 seasons. Iginla and Kiprusoff should have been traded years ago and the re-build would have been paying off right now. But they are and were in denial and have remained status quo so therefore are still mediocre.

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...name=nhl-flames

#63 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:10 PM

The stereotypical underachieving soft Russian player or the gritty powerfoward that's scored the most goals of the decade and is hungry for a cup? I'm gonna have to go with Iginla and throw in any prospect that isn't Smith. Iginla + Suter + Parise with Nick taking a major paycut for one more run.. a boy can dream.

#64 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

He's 34. He'd fit right in with Datsyuk and Z! Posted Image

Yeah that's not really old for hockey players these days and Iginla doesn't have a history of injuries. I think you can get 4-5 good seasons out of him before it's time to call it quits. A 34 Iginla isn't a 34 Franzen or Bertuzzi.

Edited by Number19, 21 May 2012 - 06:18 PM.

#65 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

No knock on Iginla, I think he's a great player and would love it if he were a free agent at the same time as Parise, which would help keep the prices down. But he's not, and I certainly don't want us to trade away assets. Addition without subtraction for this guy. We're already not deep enough according to Holland and Babcock, I don't see how trading anybody is going to help that.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#66 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

The stereotypical underachieving soft Russian player or the gritty powerfoward that's scored the most goals of the decade and is hungry for a cup? I'm gonna have to go with Iginla and throw in any prospect that isn't Smith. Iginla + Suter + Parise with Nick taking a major paycut for one more run.. a boy can dream.

A prospect? They will want Smith plus at least one of Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, Jurco and possibly picks. Then the wings are saddled a 7 million dollar forward who didn't score 40 goals or hit over 70 points. For the 7 million dollars they need to commit it to younger players who will be with the organization for more than one season.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#67 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

A prospect? They will want Smith plus at least one of Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, Jurco and possibly picks. Then the wings are saddled a 7 million dollar forward who didn't score 40 goals or hit over 70 points. For the 7 million dollars they need to commit it to younger players who will be with the organization for more than one season.

He had 32 goals and 67 points playing for Calgary, 2 points less than Parise playing on a much weaker team and with less ice-time, he had a whole lot more points than Semin and they both will end up with a contract somewhere around 7 million. Not only does Iginla provide just as much offense if not more than either of them he would also provide us with much needed toughness and size

#68 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,197 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

The guy we should really be talking about here is Corey Perry. (Or Ryan Getzlaf.) (Or Milan Lucic.) (Or Daniel Girardi.)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#69 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

He had 32 goals and 67 points playing for Calgary, 2 points less than Parise playing on a much weaker team and with less ice-time, he had a whole lot more points than Semin and they both will end up with a contract somewhere around 7 million. Not only does Iginla provide just as much offense if not more than either of them he would also provide us with much needed toughness and size

IF he were a free agent I would agree with you that he wouldn't be a terrible pick up, but for 7 million dollars AND prospects/picks makes him not worth it. Add to that Parise is 7 years younger and is just entering his prime then you see that Parise is the all around better option. Semin and Iggy are apples and oranges as Semin is less of a sniper and more of a playmaker.
Im Wasser verbrannt

#70 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

I meant prospect(s) of course they'd want more than one. The odds are against most prospects of amounting to anything in the NHL and this will be for the most proven commodity available. The guy has scored like 30+ goals for 13 straight seasons with playmakers like Craig Conroy.

Semin would be Lang 2.0 without the clutch playoff goals.

#71 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

The guy we should really be talking about here is Corey Perry. (Or Ryan Getzlaf.) (Or Milan Lucic.) (Or Daniel Girardi.)

He would be the right move, but for sure it would cost a TON, starting with Filppula...Ahhh, if only he were a UFA this off season... Not to hijack the thread, but who (realistically, I don't wanna see Miller/Cleary/MacDonald crap) would you say goodbye to, in order to get Perry (AND THEN RE-SIGN HIM IMMEDIATELY!)

I love Filppula, but Anaheim loves Selanne and if they want to get him another season, Filppula (who Selanne had said he loves playing with) would be a huge piece to start with. I'd hate to trade away future, but Perry is in his prime and if re-signed for at least 5 more years, one or two wouldn't sting too much. Unfortunately for me, I don't watch our prospects too much to know who to barter with and who is untouchable...I'd really hate to lose Smith. Maybe sign and trade Quincey along with Filppula and Brad Stuart's bargaining rights? To me, that still kind of sounds like a EA Sports trade...Help me out! Help me acquire Corey Perry to be that sniper next to Datsyuk!

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#72 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

He would be the right move, but for sure it would cost a TON, starting with Filppula...Ahhh, if only he were a UFA this off season... Not to hijack the thread, but who (realistically, I don't wanna see Miller/Cleary/MacDonald crap) would you say goodbye to, in order to get Perry (AND THEN RE-SIGN HIM IMMEDIATELY!)

I love Filppula, but Anaheim loves Selanne and if they want to get him another season, Filppula (who Selanne had said he loves playing with) would be a huge piece to start with. I'd hate to trade away future, but Perry is in his prime and if re-signed for at least 5 more years, one or two wouldn't sting too much. Unfortunately for me, I don't watch our prospects too much to know who to barter with and who is untouchable...I'd really hate to lose Smith. Maybe sign and trade Quincey along with Filppula and Brad Stuart's bargaining rights? To me, that still kind of sounds like a EA Sports trade...Help me out! Help me acquire Corey Perry to be that sniper next to Datsyuk!

Didn't Anaheim have bad defense? They would probably want Fil and Smith.

#73 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

You're right, we'd have to give A LOT to get them, probably a high end roster player (Flip), a prospect (Smith or Nyquist), and a first rounder to get Perry. Additionally, Perry isn't really a "sniper" but more of a power forward that scores from down low. I'm not saying he wouldn't be useful, but if you're looking for a sniper then forget Perry, Getzlaf, or Lucic because that's not the game they play. They are all essentially better versions of what Franzen was supposed to be. Again, not to say I don't think those guys are good, or that I wouldn't want them, but they aren't pure goal scorers in the Iginla, Parise, Hossa, Kovalchuk, mold.

Edited by kipwinger, 22 May 2012 - 11:55 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#74 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

You're right, we'd have to give A LOT to get them, probably a high end roster player (Flip), a prospect (Smith or Nyquist), and a first rounder to get Perry. Additionally, Perry isn't really a "sniper" but more of a power forward that scores from down low. I'm not saying he wouldn't be useful, but if you're looking for a sniper then forget Perry, Getzlaf, or Lucic because that's not the game they play. They are all essentially better versions of what Franzen was supposed to be. Again, not to say I don't think those guys are good, or that I wouldn't want them, but they aren't pure goal scorers in the Iginla, Parise, Hossa, Kovalchuk, mold.

It's funny to see people call Hossa a pure goal-scorer. He has scored 24, 25 and 29 goals in his three seasons with the Blackhawks.

#75 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

It's funny to see people call Hossa a pure goal-scorer. He has scored 24, 25 and 29 goals in his three seasons with the Blackhawks.

I never said he was the best at it in the League or anything, but he's generally considered a finisher rather than a playmaker or power forward. Largely based on his laser of a shot. He's scored 30+ goals seven times in his career and 40+ goals three times. Not exactly sure how you'd classify him?

Edited by kipwinger, 22 May 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#76 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

Perry has scored 50 and has been an MVP before. If I am making a trade for either him or Iginla, Perry is my first choice...even over Parise.

If Anaheim needs D, then Quincey and Stuart could help. Maybe Fil, (sign and trade)Quincey, Stuart(rights) and another prospect or maybe Big E (not Smith) ain't such an EA Sports trade afterall?

Perry is just over $5M (of course he only has one more year left so you's HAVE to re-sign him.) Could you imagine the Red Wings with Perry, Parise, Suter AND Lidstrom coming back? Of course that would be if the cap increased, but that would (at least on paper) be a pretty impressive team!

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#77 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

Again, I'm not knocking Perry. I'm just saying that if you want a "sniper" he's not the guy. He scores most of his goals down by the crease, and isn't known for having a particularly accurate or powerful shot from the perimeter. He's obviously a good player, but him and Iginla don't really play comparable games.

Edited by kipwinger, 22 May 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#78 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

If Anaheim needs D, then Quincey and Stuart could help. Maybe Fil, (sign and trade)Quincey, Stuart(rights) and another prospect or maybe Big E (not Smith) ain't such an EA Sports trade afterall?

That would wreck our D. We'd have White, Kronwall, Smith, and Kindl. If Lids came back that would still be a pretty weak corps. Perhaps if we sign 1 big D FA and 1 middle tier D then we could try the trade you proposed.

#79 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

I meant prospect(s) of course they'd want more than one. The odds are against most prospects of amounting to anything in the NHL and this will be for the most proven commodity available. The guy has scored like 30+ goals for 13 straight seasons with playmakers like Craig Conroy.

Semin would be Lang 2.0 without the clutch playoff goals.

A guy on the downside of his career on a team that is getting older and doesn't have a farm system with a lot of blue chip prospects? That doesn't seem like a blue print to keep making the playoffs for the next 5-10 seasons. The Wings need to get younger and keep their prospects in house because unless they tank for a few season they won't be getting much help from the draft. This isn't NHL 12 where you don't have to worry about anything beyond the end of the next season.
Im Wasser verbrannt

#80 centcougar07

centcougar07

Rookie

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

Yeah that's not really old for hockey players these days and Iginla doesn't have a history of injuries. I think you can get 4-5 good seasons out of him before it's time to call it quits. A 34 Iginla isn't a 34 Franzen or Bertuzzi.

34 is old for anyone who has been playing hockey their entire lives. Not saying there aren't a couple good years left but the decline is on.