Photo
- - - - -

Which current NHL players do our top prospects compare to?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

Ideally, I'd like to hear some quotes from Ken Holland, Jim Nill, Hakan Andersson, and other members of the front-office on these guys...but I'll settle for whatever's out there...

Here are some of the one's I've heard

By members of our front office:

Nyquist - Datsyuk
Jarnkrok - Zetterberg
Jurco - Hossa
Sheahan - Franzen
Tatar - Hudler
Pulkkinen - Hull
Smith - Kronwall

By random websites:

Mrazek - Hasek, Osgood

...would love to hear anything you guys have heard on these guys (or others)!

Edited by blueadams, 17 May 2012 - 04:00 PM.

#2 hockey23

hockey23

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

Smith - Keith Yandle with more physical play
Nyquist - Ray Whitney
Jarnkrok - Nick Backstrom
Jurco - Hossa
Tatar - Vladimir Sobotka
Sheahan - Paul Gaustad
Mrazek - Jonathan Bernier
Pulkkinen - Hudler + the holy slapper

#3 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

www.redwingscentral.com

#4 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

Smith - Keith Yandle with more physical play
Nyquist - Ray Whitney
Jarnkrok - Nick Backstrom
Jurco - Hossa
Tatar - Vladimir Sobotka
Sheahan - Paul Gaustad
Mrazek - Jonathan Bernier
Pulkkinen - Hudler + the holy slapper

I like most of these, Smith compares exactly to Kronwall. There is no better comparison for him in the entire league I dont think.

Nyquist, I think is more like a Filppula. Shifty hands, good D except Nyquist seems to have natural finishing ability that Val lacks.

I really like the Sobotka comparison for Tatar, I had never thought about it but it is a very good one.

Sheahan has better hands than Gaustad but I think Gaustad is his lowest potential really. Could see him becoming more of a Bolland type

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#5 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

I like most of these, Smith compares exactly to Kronwall. There is no better comparison for him in the entire league I dont think.

Nyquist, I think is more like a Filppula. Shifty hands, good D except Nyquist seems to have natural finishing ability that Val lacks.

I really like the Sobotka comparison for Tatar, I had never thought about it but it is a very good one.

Sheahan has better hands than Gaustad but I think Gaustad is his lowest potential really. Could see him becoming more of a Bolland type

I would say smith is more like yandle then kronwall...
Posted Image

#6 hockey23

hockey23

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

I like the Kronwall-Smith and Filppula-Nyquist comparisons, but I've heard them a lot so I thought I'd try to come up with something different. There's just something about Smith that reminds me of Yandle. Maybe just the way they skate or their kind of lanky build, combined with the fact that they're offensive defensemen with some iffy play in their own zone at times.

I think Sheahan will be more like Gaustad than Bolland, but I think Gaustad is the extreme of Sheahan. When I think of Sheahan I think big, defensive center who's good on faceoffs and has limited offensive abilities. Gaustad takes each of these to the extreme - he's very big, very good defensively, very good on faceoffs, and is very limited offensively. Sheahan will be similar imo, but not to the extreme - i.e. maybe not as big and good defensively, but more offensive upside. I think 4th line C is a pessimistic projection for Sheahan and a consistent 40+ point 3rd line C is on the optimistic side, so somewhere in the middle is what I'm thinking.

#7 centcougar07

centcougar07

Rookie

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

Some.. no MOST of these comparisons are ridiculous. Comparing Nyquist to Datsyuk? That's laughable.

#8 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

Smith is far more scrappy than Yandle. He throws plenty of hits, and has an edge to his game that is absent from Yandle's. The Kronwall comparison is pretty bang on.

Some.. no MOST of these comparisons are ridiculous. Comparing Nyquist to Datsyuk? That's laughable.

They're comparisons. I don't think that anyone is saying Nyquist is going to be the next Datsyuk. As mentioned, a lot of these comparisons were made by Red Wings management and staff, so I suppose they're ridiculous too. What do they know about hockey?

#9 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,635 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

Mrzak is a technical goalie and has said he doesn't play like Hasek.

#10 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

Nyquist
Jarnkrok
Jurco
Sheahan
Tatar
Pulkkinen
Smith
Mrazek

I know some people are delusional, but how can you NOT get excited about that list of names?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#11 centcougar07

centcougar07

Rookie

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:50 PM

I know some people are delusional, but how can you NOT get excited about that list of names?

Because they aren't really 'top prospects'. Maybe among our organization. Not so much throughout the rest of the league.
  • Nev likes this

#12 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:00 AM

a diving *****?
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#13 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:15 AM

Because they aren't really 'top prospects'. Maybe among our organization. Not so much throughout the rest of the league.

Until the Wings suck and start getting Top 10 picks they are not going to, and are stuck trying to find talent that will just take longer to develop. This is easily the best the prospect pool has looked in over a decade, so I'm just not getting all the pooh-poohing.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#14 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:16 AM

The problem with our "prospects" is, we really don't know if they are. As of today, most are just names. Pick any of the rating sites you want, most rate our prospects with a high of Smith on down. But everyone of those sites gives a strong cya on each guy. For example, Hockeysfuture.com gives Smith a 8.0 rating which is equl to a potentail #2 D. But at the same time they also give him a grade of C, which means "may make it, but could drop 2 points". At 6 points Smith goes from a future #2 to a journeyman #6 or 7 Dman. Everyone else on our list has already made it to the NHL: maursk and nyquist or has yet to play a professional game. Could all of them develop? Yes. Could they all flame out? Yes. Most are 3+ years away from any of us being able to tell, one way or the other. The problem is, we need the help now.
  • Nev likes this

#15 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:20 AM

The problem with our "prospects" is, we really don't know if they are. As of today, most are just names. Pick any of the rating sites you want, most rate our prospects with a high of Smith on down. But everyone of those sites gives a strong cya on each guy. For example, Hockeysfuture.com gives Smith a 8.0 rating which is equl to a potentail #2 D. But at the same time they also give him a grade of C, which means "may make it, but could drop 2 points". At 6 points Smith goes from a future #2 to a journeyman #6 or 7 Dman. Everyone else on our list has already made it to the NHL: maursk and nyquist or has yet to play a professional game. Could all of them develop? Yes. Could they all flame out? Yes. Most are 3+ years away from any of us being able to tell, one way or the other. The problem is, we need the help now.

All fine points - though you have to give Holland credit here, he realized it and is in a position with a ton of cap space.

Edited by egroen, 19 May 2012 - 12:20 AM.

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#16 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:24 AM

Kronwall has never punched anyone in the face and he never will...Is it wrong I have hopes for Sheahan to be the next Bertuzzi?
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#17 LidstromIsASuperhero

LidstromIsASuperhero

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

Kronwall has never punched anyone in the face and he never will...Is it wrong I have hopes for Sheahan to be the next Bertuzzi?

No. That would be awesome.

#18 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

Actually Pulkkinen projections intrigues me a lot.At first he was compared to Kurri and now to Hull :unsure:

#19 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

Actually Pulkkinen projections intrigues me a lot.At first he was compared to Kurri and now to Hull :unsure:

Kurri had speed, Hull not so much.

#20 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

Smith is basically a Kronwall that fights. Physicality is both big parts of their gaames, they are solid enough defensively and both have high offensive capabilities.

Yandle is an OK comparison but it leaves a large part of Smiths game, his mean streak, completely unaccounted for. Kronwall doesnt fight like Smith does, but he does have physicality as a large dimension of his game.

Sheahan I dont see a Bertuzzi type player. Maybe in a sense that both are big and physical and at this point Bert will produce around 45 points but stylistically I dont think its all that good. Sheahan is going to be amazing defensively, he already is and hes already big enough to dominate games physically. If he can get some decent offense to come around he might become the best third line C in the league

RIP BOB PROBERT #24